An embarassment to PC!

13»

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2007
    I think he has no thermal compound on his heatsink.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    That's probably true >.> Are you supposed to replace/renew the thermal compound every now and again?
    edited August 2007
    Depends on what you use. AS5 seats for life, but type44 or other symthetic ester/zinc oxide creations should be changed at-least every six months.
    edited August 2007
    Either way I've never replaced anything in over a year. I'm running it with the case of for cooling for heaven's sake. And the harddrive is still reading at 250C >.>
    edited August 2007
    How do I tell what type it is? Or are you talking about the compound?
    edited August 2007
    The thermal compound. There's like three different types.

1:Silver composites = Best / Sets strangely.
    2:Ceramic = Great / Permanent!
    3:Synthetic Ester = Nice / dries and loses effectiveness.

If you use what came on the bottom of your heatsink/haven't changed it since you bought the PC, It's definitely time for some new compound, and possibly a newer heatsink. 70C for a video card isn't bad, but it isn't good. My X1900 idles at around 58C, but only maxes at 64 and that's before my whole computer locks up. I know why it's happening and I can't afford to fix it right now (I wished the gods would send me a new power supply) But that won't happen.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Look into some new compound, and make sure the bottom of your heatsink is flat before you waste it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The hard drive is not 250C. Please just put a fan next to your open case and let's see how the computer responds. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Harudath, you are being pulled in several directions right now. For dancing, we learn one step at a time!

The step you need RIGHT NOW is only one simple maneuver. As Thrax wrote, OPEN THE CASE and let's see how it goes. That's it, that's all, simple, easy. We'll take other steps later if it's necessary.

250*C hard drive. IMPOSSIBLE. Were that the case, your computer would have melted down (literally) and your house probably would have caught fire and this whole thread would be a very moot exercise in fixing a smoldering heap of plastic, rubber, silicon, and warped metal. Your monitoring software is simply not playing nice nice with the computer's temperature monitoring hardware. No temp monitoring software is completely accurate.