Cooling the MSI Master2 FAR

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Either of those will work fine though the Thermaltake one looks a little loud. The CoolerMaster one looks the same as one of the two that came with my board except a whole lot quieter.

-drasnor :fold:
  • doc0doc0 france
    edited May 2005
    drasnor wrote:
    Either of those will work fine though the Thermaltake one looks a little loud. The CoolerMaster one looks the same as one of the two that came with my board except a whole lot quieter.

thx for your quick and great help drasnor !!! :respect:

i will post a photo of my full operating config asap.... :cool:
    edited May 2005
    doc0 wrote:

thx for your quick and great help drasnor !!! :respect:

i will post a photo of my full operating config asap.... :cool:
    No problem! We look forward to seeing your machine. Welcome to Short-Media!

• edited June 2005
    Hello,

I have an master-2 on order but I have some real trouble finding a cooler that fits that I can buy from our companys "prefered vendors".

I have found this one

SP472B13.jpg

Full spec at:

http://www.spirecoolers.com/fcc.asp?ProdID=200

Would this one fit or is it to big? Will it be able to cool an opteron 250?

Any help would be much apriciated!

/N
    edited June 2005
    Looks good to me. If it can cool Prescotts, you should be alright. I'd hold back on ordering those until you get your board though. If it doesn't have retention mechanisms on both sockets you'll have to shop for Xeon heatsinks.

• edited June 2005
    Just thought I'd let people know that it is possible to use two of Artic Cooling's Freezer 4 heat pipe radiators on this board. It requires buying an additional adaptor if your board didn't come with two installed (http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_35&products_id=103 and 4 3 mm screws). You also will probably have to trim the fins on the one nearest the AGP slot. I scored the fins using a razor knife about 2 mm away from the heat pipe and flexed it back and forth with needle nose pliers - breaks cleanly . with little effort. I haven't run temp tests yet but they are extremely quiet - the hard drives are louder.
  • blueoxblueox Greece
    edited July 2005
    Hi all, I'm a new one here.
    I have just bought a K8T Master2-Far and wondering where to find a substitute of my current silent fans for my future-retired dual Athlon MP Gigabyte motherboard, I reached here.
    I have to notice the MSI I got has only 1 plastic base for 1st PCU, the other CPU has no plastic base.
    I really like all the ideas here. The last solution using coolers from Arctic cooling seems fancy and silent. Thermaltake has also just released a 19db 1800rpm fan called Golden Orb II, which I can find nowhere for now.

My current case is a Thermaltake Xaser III with 7 fans, an ultra silent powersupply of 650W with 2 fans from same manufacturer a dual Athlon MP 2GHz Gigabyte motherboard with 2Gb of memory and some IDE hard disks... :)

Noise is something very important for the place I have the server (which is working 24/7) so I really need your advice about what to put for cooling best with low noise the same time.
    edited July 2005
    Not much I can really add with regard to your situation beyond what's already discussed in the thread. My setup has been working reliably for the past 2 years and I sleep next to the machine. I can't really speak for the others here though.

• blueoxblueox Greece
    edited July 2005
    Drasnor, congrats for your efforts on helping out people about this puzzled motherboard on the cooling section.
    After all this discussion also, I can not figure out finally, what coolers did you use?
    Normal coolers for P4 or what?
    My machine is working 24/7 and quiet operation is a must.
  • blueoxblueox Greece
    edited July 2005
    I'm about purchasing a Swiftech MCX604-V. I was wondering, is it the same with MCX603-V? If someone can help , let me know.
    I have found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3673&item=6776946140
    edited July 2005
    I ended up using a pair of Swiftech MCX-462+ heatsinks that were originally designed to mount thru-board on single-processor Socket A (Athlon) systems. However, I noticed that the design of the MCX-462+ was identical to the MCX-603 (a thru-board Socket603/604 Xeon heatsink) so I modified a pair of mounts for the MCX-603 to fit on my MCX-462+ because that was cheaper than buying MCX-603s, then modified the mount hardware to be compatible with the metric threads on the Master2-FAR's retention mechanism.

• edited August 2005
    I've been using this board for over a year now, quite happy with it, but recently a noticed a degradation in the cooling performance.
    The setup: 2 x Opteron 246 CPU, heatsinks that came with the board, but I replaced the fans (less noisy).
    The symptoms: with this setup the CPU-temperatures used to go up and down immediately with the CPU load, but now it goes up much slower and never down at all. Also, even when idling the temps keep rising slowly until they stabilize at about 5deg (Celsius) higher then what used to be the peek temp before.
    My first diagnosis was the thermal paste going bad, so I took it to a shop to have the heatsinks removed and new paste applied. The guy confirmed that the old compound looked dried out, and he replaced it, but it only marginally improved the cooling, not nearly like what it used to be.
    So either my diagnosis was wrong, or the diagnosis was right but the solution was wrong.
    I'd really appreciate any help here: right now I dare not run my computer for a prolonged time, or run anything heavy on the CPU's without monitoring the temps all the time..
    edited August 2005
    Your man might have used cheap thermal paste though I'm not sure if that makes a 5 C difference. Check and see if the heatsink vents are clogged with dust bunnies. What are the actual load and idle temps?

• edited September 2005
    Hello All,

I just came across this thread today. I wish I had seen it before when I was looking for cooling solutions for my MSI.Yes the Fans have real Loud Noise, could make people crazy if they use computer for long time. Anyways, when i could not find anything to replace orignal fans.. I got an idea and thried this.

I replaced the MSI fan with the AMD's Orignal fan that came with the FX51 processor. Initially when I had FX51, I removed the orignal AMD fan and replaced it with thermaltake so I had the spare. I just removed the AMD factory orignal fan and placed it on top of the MSI's heatsink. So far it works like a charm. The sound is completely gone and looks like my computer is working in Stealth mode.

I wanted to get your openion.. if I should contiune using this fan or need to replace.. what do u say? temp in bios is 50 - 51C.

Thanks in advance!
    edited September 2005
    It's a little high for idle temps, but still quite acceptable.

• milo001milo001 Houston, TX
    edited September 2005
    I gather that most of the posts in this thread reffer to the K8T Master2 Board. I just purchased the K8N Master2 board. I have not yet received it, but there is no indication that it includes any CPU cooling device. As I understand the K8T did include two rather strange heatsinks with loud fans.

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the K8N Master2 FAR Board and would know if it has the same heat sink issues.

The problem described on the thread seem to be caused by the cpu being too close to the video slot. The K8N has 2 PCI-E 16X so if one is not doing SLI perhaps the video board could be placed on the other PCI-E slot. I am attempting to include a picture of the board (don't know if it will work).

From the picture it seems to not include the plastic mounting braclets for the heatsink, so it must mount through the holes on the board.

They also seem to be pushing adding a RAM Cooling fan when getting this board. MSI makes it and mounts to the chassis and hinges over the RAM slots. Is this necessary?

Thanks for any advice.

edit 9-21: The manual for the board says in regards to the cooling of the CPU to go to the AMD WEB site to get their recommendations for this processor. But from what i have read here, the stuff that matches this procesor (Opteron) does not match the hole patter for the heasink on this board. Unles the K8N is different from the K8T, but from the pictures the holes around the processor look to me as if they are in the same location on both boards.

David
    edited September 2005
    Update.

I received the board and actually this box (extra large) came with the CPU coolers and the RAM fan also. Too bad I had already purchased new Heatsinks/fans for the CPU. I guess the'll go in the drawer for next project.
    edited September 2005
    I didn't know the K8N was out yet. Nice to hear it came with all that gear, but to answer your question I really doubt the RAM fan is necessary. Every other computer on the planet gets by just fine without one. Tell us about the boxed heatsinks that the K8N comes with. Are they obnoxiously loud, cool well, etc?

edited September 2005
    drasnor,

Thanks for the reply. By looking at the fans that came with the unit they look to be same as the ones on the K8T (a co-worker built one witht he K8T) and i may not be the best person to answer the noise questions as all the systems i have build so far have been noisy for one reason or another, so although they are not quiet, they do not seem extra loud to me. They start loud and then slow down to a quieter mode.

Space for the heatsinks is still at a premium as there are caps around the sockets, and the one next to the video card is still like right on the vidieo card.

The RAM fan is not very large, and probably adds to some of the noise. Does not look all that useful actually, but i put it in anyway

Everything else shuld be about the same, except for the NForce4 instead of Via thing.

Still installing the OS so can't speak about stability and such at the moment.

Update 9/30/05: System is very quick, OS went in fine, but Creative's XFi card messed the whole thing up. From what I have been able to learn is that XFi and NForce4 do not get along until a new BIOS update for the System Board. Not knowing when this will come out, i will try Adigy2 ZS on Monday and hope that fixes the problem. re-installing OS now.

Thanks
  • blueoxblueox Greece
    edited December 2005
    Hi all. After some months of achieving my new K8T-Master2-FAR (without socket for 2nd CPU) I have ended up using the ultra-silent Freezer 4 coolers from Arctic Cooling , which are cheap ones (about 22eur in Greece) compared to other silent coolers from Thermaltake that you need to spend the double money in total.
    Also, since my motherboard had no CPU adapter in the 2nd CPU position, I had to buy one from a Koolance dealer in my country and 4x3mm screws ;) otherwise you can't install ANY Socket 478 cooler on the 2nd CPU.
    Using these coolers, I got temperatures of 50 degrees Celcius using WinXP Pro in idle mode, and about 53 degrees when the CPUs are working 99%.
    The "patent" was the following.
    Freezer 4s are shipped with fans "looking" inside the case, and not outside, meaning the hot air from the CPU is directed not outside the box. 2 actions needed to be done:
    1st. I had to unscrew the 2 basement screws that holding the clips from both the coolers and place the clips upside/down.
    2nd. The cooler for the 2nd CPU needed to be moderated, so to not "touching" the circuits side of the VGA card. You will need to trim the fins of the side nearest the VGA card. To do this you will need a paper-cutter or a knife, to make straight lines on each aluminum piece of the cooler and then with the fingertips or needle nose pliers, you move upside/down and is breaks cleanly (remember to not cut the last 4 towards the fan base :D .

Below is my equipment:

Midi Tower Lian Li V1100 Plus S
    Temperatures Monitor Panel 3.5" Lian Li Silver
    MSI K8T-Master2-FAR (for dual cpu)
    2xAMD Opteron 246 2.0GHz
    2xFreezer 4 coolers
    MSI FX 5600 XT video card (256mb RAM)
    Hercules Prophetview 720 LCD monitor 15"
    Western Digital 80GB hard disk SATA1 (8mb cache) for C drive
    Maxtor 6 L300S0 300GB hard disk SATA1 (16mb cache) for D drive
    Plextor PX-716A DVDR
    NEC ND-3540 DVDR
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    PSU Thermaltake 600W ultra-silent

I'm using the Speedfan program for monitoring the temperatures of the system. Witht the current system, I'm having the following temperatures (in celcius, room temp.was 22 degrees):
    CPU1: 50
    CPU2: 52
    System: 40
    ACPI: 40
    Video CPU: 45
    Video ram: 26
    HD1: 25
    HD2: 25

Conclusions:
    1.MSI Master2-FAR will use ANY cooler for socket 478 (Pentium 4). U can use large ones if you are using single CPU version and up to 70mm if you want to use dual cpu.
    2.I am fully suggesting the Freezer 4 coolers to everyone is using the current motherboard, they are cheap and effective (coolers needs to be moderated first). If we want to over-clock the processors, then Freezer 4 are useless. I am happy with them because they are very silent and effective. And silence is what matters the most in such machines used 24/7 inside our homes.

I got the idea from another user from the same forum about the Freezer 4 coolers, but that guy didn't switched the fans to blow on the outter side of the case, so it's useless, cause using them like they are shipped from the factory, you'll get temperatures of 60-63 degrees celsius.

Any questions are welcome :thumbsup: .
    dsc007455kr.th.jpg

dsc007464yr.th.jpg
  • edited December 2005
    Can you use one single FX-53 processor with this board (K8N Master2)? Will it run with just one processor?
  • blueoxblueox Greece
    edited December 2005
    Please click on the following MSI link for more details and click the QVL link.
    The FX 53 is supported only by K8T-Master2FAR mobo (which I am using) and not from the K8N-Master2FAR
    I see no reason of buying the K8N, it's almost the same price, but dual CPU is much much better, I suggest you to buy 2 used Opterons of any speed from eBay. It's big difference. I have tested dual core and I can say FX sucks compared to 2 Opterons (any of them above 246) :)
    edited December 2005
    mrdollar wrote:
    Can you use one single FX-53 processor with this board (K8N Master2)? Will it run with just one processor?
    You can run it with a single FX-53 if you want, just make sure you put it in the CPU0 socket or it won't boot.

Blueox: there are lots of reasons why he might want to run a single FX and not dual Opterons, like this is the only readily available cheap 940 board left and he might already have an FX.

• blueoxblueox Greece
    edited December 2005
    The K8N can run only one CPU, choosen from the supported CPUs at MSI's K8N webpage, which does not mention AMD FX. Nobody told it can't run single one, just that 2 CPUs are more fast.
    Supported CPUs for K8N-Master2FAR (According to MSI's website):
    Vendor Description Frequency
    AMD Opteron Dual-Core 280 2.4GHz
    AMD Opteron Dual-Core 275 2.2GHz
    AMD Opteron Dual-Core 270 2.0GHz
    AMD Opteron Dual-Core 265 1.8GHz
    AMD Opteron Dual-Core 265HE 1.8GHz
    AMD Opteron Dual-Core 260HE 1.6GHz
    AMD Opteron 254 2.8GHz
    AMD Opteron 252 2.6GHz
    AMD Opteron 250 2.4GHz
    AMD Opteron 248 2.2GHz
    AMD Opteron 246 2.0GHz
    AMD Opteron 244 1.8GHz
    AMD Opteron 242 1.6GHz
    AMD Opteron 240 1.4GHz
    AMD Opteron 246HE 2.0GHz
    AMD Opteron 240EE 1.4GHz
    AMD Opteron 150 2.4GHz
    AMD Opteron 148 2.2GHz
    AMD Opteron 146 2.0GHz
    AMD Opteron 144 1.8GHz
    AMD Opteron 142 1.6GHz
    AMD Opteron 140 1.4GHz
    AMD Opteron 146HE 2.0GHz
    AMD Opteron 140EE 1.4GHz

Meaning, K8N will run only Opterons.
    edited December 2005
    I missed he was asking about the K8N Master2-FAR. Thought he was referring to the K8T. I'll bet the K8N will run those old FX chips as well but MSI has been historically slow about actually writing down support for anything. Worst comes to worst you can always return your board. If you're looking for a single 940 board though Foxconn makes a really nice one that I've worked with: http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=NFPIK8AA-8EKRS

Newegg used to sell it but I'm sure you'll be able to find someone else that has it.

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    I realize this is kind of an old thread, but I found some boards on E-Bay relatively cheap and was wondering if there is an AGP/Pci lock when you try to overclock it. 2CPU has a rather large thread on this board but I'm just to lazy to read it all.
  • edited March 2006
    I got the idea from another user from the same forum about the Freezer 4 coolers, but that guy didn't switched the fans to blow on the outter side of the case, so it's useless, cause using them like they are shipped from the factory, you'll get temperatures of 60-63 degrees celsius.

blueox,
    Although it's not visible in the pictures I posted, there is a fan mounted on the side case cover which blows air out from directly above the Freezer4 fan exhaust area. I found this to work better than blowing the air against the back of the case.

nicklogan

http://www.short-media.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16543&d=1119031663
    edited March 2006
    I like the idea, kind of reversing the air flow. but if I may ask a stupid question, are you using the standard mounting clips that come on the board?
    After so many months with this unit, the noise of the CPU coolers is realy getting annoying, so i am ready to try something different.
  • edited March 2006
    milo001 wrote:
    I like the idea, kind of reversing the air flow. but if I may ask a stupid question, are you using the standard mounting clips that come on the board?
    After so many months with this unit, the noise of the CPU coolers is realy getting annoying, so i am ready to try something different.

I bought new heat sink mounts from Koolance. See the link at the original post here:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=287329&postcount=97
  • edited March 2006
    nicklogan wrote:
    I bought new heat sink mounts from Koolance. See the link at the original post here:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=287329&postcount=97

EDIT 3/29/06 To clarify, I only had to get one set of clips - one of the original heat sink mounts was ok.