Cooling the MSI Master2 FAR

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited January 2004
    that seems pretty reasonable from what i know about opteron temps. hope everything stays good to go
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited January 2004
    drasnor wrote:
    Ok, temps are 51C and 46C for processor 1 and 2. Keep in mind that processor 1 is physically directly above processor 2 and that kinda makes sense. This is with two instances of FAH running. BIG improvement over stock sinks, which ran at 58C and 51C respectively. Don't know why these run so hot.

-drasnor :fold:

Those are probably Thermal Diode Temps.

My Athlon MP 2000+ 256K (1.66ghz) are at 50C running FAH, so be impressed with the Opteron 248 1MB 2.20ghz.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I think drasnor wins the "sweetest short-media rig" award for the hour :D
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I think drasnor wins the "sweetest short-media rig" award for the hour :D
    :kneel:

It really is. Just wish the All in Wonder would work right. ATI keeps sending me busted ones for warranty service.

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited February 2004
    Drasnor, I'm looking at recommending this board to someone who's looking for a DV workstation. Let me see if I understand this correctly:

The brackets for the heatsinks will take standard P4 heatsinks that clip onto the brackets, but the hole spacing for the brackets is the same as for the Xeons, right?
    edited February 2004
    That's correct, though my board only came with one set of brackets (for the top CPU only). Other people have gotten board with two sets of brackets, though YMMV. In either case, the board comes with heatsinks that are either matched and are loud, copper-finned P4 heatsinks or one is like that and the other is weird-looking and quiet, though doesn't cool particularly well.

• edited April 2004
    Apologies if this thread is old, and if I've posted this somewhere else, but I am really really curious.

What do you guys think about installing two of these on the MSI K8T Master2?

http://www.systemcooling.com/aerocool_ht101-01.html

Thanks
    edited April 2004
    Won't work on the board.
  • edited April 2004
    Okay, why not?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Also, that board basically attaches the GFX card to the side of one of the processor heatsinks. I bet thats really good for cooling.
    edited April 2004
    Justice wrote:
    Okay, why not?

Heh... Sorry. I was being lazy last night... didn't want to type out an explanation ;D

The Aerocool attaches to the board by bolting through the motherboard if you use the P4 clip. The MSI board has Xeon hole spacing, not P4 spacing. Sooo, the heatsink won't fit.
  • edited April 2004
    Hmmm... By looking at this picture

contents_lg.jpg

I see the X bracket (P4) -- You're telling me that won't work? Damn!

I was actually more worried about the HSF sitting on top of the AGP card...

Okay then, so what about Thermaltake's solution?
    http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0025/cl-p0025silentTower.htm

S478, Socket T, K7 & K8, @ 21 db...

Looks like the clip has a variety of holes too, so perhaps it would fit the MSI too, even though it says S478 only...

clip.jpg

What's socket T anyway?
    edited April 2004
    The Master2 FAR supports heatsinks with a maximum footprint of 80mm square. Anything larger will interfere with the AGP slot on the lower processor and the other processor HSF on the upper processor. I really ought to take photos of how close they are in my system.

Enverex, you're probably right about GFX card cooling, but there's not a whole lot of space to play around with when you're shoving dual Opterons onto an ATX board. I mean, my Northbridge is right in front of my AGP slot, and all the IDE and floppy hookups are at the southeastern most point on the board. My All in Wonder 9800 Pro works at stock speed with the stock cooler, so I'm happy.

edited April 2004
    The thermaltake one will not work either. No Pentium 4 heatsink that bolts through the motherboard will work, period. Any bolt-on heatsink has to be a Xeon heatsink, any clip-on heatsink has to be a P4 heatsink.
    edited May 2004
    Okay, since I've gotten requests for photos of how I attached these, here they are. These were taken using my webcam because I don't have access to a digital camera at the moment, so I apologize for the quality. On the plus side, using the webcam afforded some unique angles.

top.jpg
    This is the top processor (CPU 0), taken with the machine powered on. You get a good view of where I cut off the extra metal from the optional s423 modules for the MCX462+. Just a reminder, these cuts are only required if you want to use 80mm fans instead of 70mm fans.

MSI has a large metal plate behind each CPU socket with threaded inserts coming out of the board. The end of the inserts don't sit flush with the surface of the board, so I added a flat washer at each hole for strain relief purposes. You can kinda see the washers here, sandwiched between the modded Swiftech standoffs and the board. The Swiftech standoffs had to be modified because they use an English thread on their standoffs while MSI's threaded inserts are 3mm metric threads. Luckily, it's a simple procedure to cut the right threads onto the standoffs.

bottom.jpg
    You can see pretty clearly in this shot that there isn't much clearance between the AGP card and the processor heatsink when using 80mm fans. It isn't a problem for me since I don't have anything sticking out the back of my card. Note that there is enough room for RAMsinks if that's your thing.

You get a great view of the modded retention mechanism here. It's just a metal plate with a few holes in it that screws into the heatsink base and has springs pushing it into the board. I believe the thru-board mount sold as an accessory for the MCX603 will work here without modification, but the ones I used were cheaper.

The amber "MSI DDR" heatsink on the right is right on top of the K8T800 northbridge. Yes, the northbridge is really underneath the graphics card.

Post any questions you have here or PM me.

P.S. Here's the mod I had to do to my Lian Li PC-7 to get dual processors not to melt the case. I thought it came out quite nicely.
  • edited June 2004
    Drasnor, do you think there's any way the V version of the MCX603 would fit on this board, and if not, do you think there's any way to make it fit on this board? Its angled pins cause it to exceed the 80mm limit, so I foresee it overhanging the AGP slot. It's flat on one side to allow two of them to sit side-by-side, and the other side is rounded and sticks out past the fan about 9mm (I think). Would the rounded side touch the top heatsink if the flat side of the bottom one was faced down toward the AGP? Can you get me a measurement on how far apart your fans are? Any info is appreciated.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2004
    he's a camp counselour at a boyscout camp for most of the summer, so he won't be able to give you those measurements until at least the end of this month (he may have a break for a couple days at some point). just letting you know

on the plus side, I'm sure his machines are diligently folding away in his absence :D
  • edited June 2004
    Well, I guess we'll do this the old-fashioned trial-and-error way. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
    edited June 2004
    There is a 1cm +/- 1mm gap between my two 80mm processor fans. There's 2mm between my lower fan and my AiW Radeon 9800 Pro. If you cut off the outer layer of pins, it ought to work.

SVC has MCX462+'s in stock though, so I wouldn't get the V's unless they were just a lot cheaper.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Socket T is LGA775.
  • edited June 2004
    Drasnor, sweet setup!
    Could you say something about the noise levels you have now? I agree the temps with the stock coolers seem a bit high, but my main irritation is when the fans go full speed.
    edited June 2004
    I'm using Panaflo 80mm 12H (the 32 dBA 2950RPM models) on each processor and on each of the four fan ports in my case. The four case fans are all speed-regulated by my Antec TruePower, and the two processor fans are run full speed all the time (not using the BIOS SmartFan speed control).

It sounds like someone whispering loudly, and I don't have any problems sleeping with it only 3' from my head. Most of the noise comes from the three hard drives and GPU fan anyway.

• edited June 2004
    I got my MCX603s and modded the standoffs just like you said, and they fit like a glove. I don't have the bottom one in right now, but if I did it would just barely be touching the backplate on my video card. Noise isn't a big concern, so I opted for the 80mm Tornadoes. I'll post temps when I get my PSU. And also CPU2 for that matter. Can't spend all my money at once, you know.
  • edited June 2004
    Found this Swiftech cooler. Will a pair of these fit? I think the base size is ok, but I'm a bit worried about the width at the top.
    http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx603-V.asp

Though it would be very nice to install some quiet 92mm fans :rolleyes:

Just noticed the width at the top is 105.2mm (4.14 inch) for the similar looking MCX6400-V (see below or http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx6400-V.asp)
    Will see if that is feasible when I get back home.
  • edited June 2004
    did you manage to fit those? 23 db would be real nice...

i'm having great troubles on killing the incredible noise from the msi stock coolers, is there really no other solution to this than modding, cutting and generally making a great mess?

i heard something from msi forums that coolJag has some xeon coolers that should fit the k8t master board, but i'm not sure...

too make my life easier i'm thinking of just changing the fans, but then there's the problem of what fans too choose?

this one seems nice:
    http://www.smartcooler.de/proddata/PDD-LFx1580T.htm

21 db at 47.5 m3/h

the fan is 80mm, so i would need to get an 60mm to 80mm and 70mm to 80mm adapters and smack the smartcoolers on top, and voila!

would this work? i have dual 244 opteron's, but not a clue about how much m3/h they will need, considering that the fans will be on top of adapters measuring 40 mm in height...
    edited July 2004
    MisterB: I think Adam2FAR got the MCX603-V's to fit on his, so it may be worth a shot though emember you'll need to do some mods. MCX6400-V probably won't work since the Master2-FAR doesn't accept normal Opteron and Athlon64 heatsinks. Either way, I can't find room for 92mm fans.

Kimgar: The mods involved aren't that difficult provided you have the proper tools. Most Xeon heatsinks will work, though they tend to be loud.

• edited July 2004
    Ah, stupid.... :banghead:
    I could have read the thread more carefully myself, but thnx drasnor!
    I think i will go for the 603's, but first holiday. This will be a nice project for august ;)
    Just for preparation, what does a noob (=me) need/do to achieve this:
    drasnor wrote:
    The standoffs Swiftech uses are English threads, some UNC series. MSI uses 3mm metric threads in the holes around the socket, so I had to buy a new die and cut 3mm threads onto the Swiftech standoffs.
    :fold:

And Adam2FAR, could you pls post some pictures?
  • edited July 2004
    Actually, I had to RMA the board. :banghead:

So those temps and pictures may be a little while.

As for the standoffs, you'll need a 3mm "die" you can pick up at your local hardware store for about five bucks.

Edit: The die I bought looks like this (but they don't have the 3mm ones on there).
  • edited July 2004
    I now know what is meant by "die", thanx.
    But why did you have to RMA? Because I'm still wondering why people report so much difference in cpu temps, everything ranging from 40C to 60C for idle use (I'm just below 60, about 58 I think but that is with the fans tuned down). Is this board related, or maybe heatsink?
    This also makes it hard to chose cpu fans to go with the heat sinks. I do like quiet.... but how much airflow is sufficient, 25 CFM, 30 CFM, 40 CFM??

But once I'm starting the adventure I'll post my experiences ;)
  • edited July 2004
    The RMA was unrelated to temperature or any issue with cooling. It just wouldn't POST. It was a refurb to begin with; that's why I had to find an alternative to the stock coolers (I didn't get them).