Building high end gaming pc, have I made a good choice in parts?

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited September 2008 in Hardware
Hi there, my friend has a pretty old pc and wants to build a new one. He is getting into gaming, crysis, cnc3 and lots of the latest games. I said to him, why not build a pc. That started the ball rolling and now he has saved up alot of money to build this pc. He has bought a thermaltake armour + and i helped him fit his old pc into the new case. Proberly the worst pc ever to be inside an armour + but i gave him an idea of how to build computers, he is now hooked on UV lights, water cooling and all the latest hardware. I gave him the computer bug :D.

He will be buying all the stuff in a months time.
We already have the case, and there is no issues about cooling or space.
Also, he has a dvd drive.

The planned specs are:
Intel Q6600 2.4ghz, will most likely overclock to 3.0ghz maybe further if we have a good chip. COOLING: arctic cooling freezer 7 pro

Asus Maximus Formula II P45 Chipset motherboard

2GB Corsair DDR2 1066mhz XMS2 dominator ram

ATI 4870 X2 2gb graphics card.

Thermaltake toughpower 1200W PSU cable management, (overkill i know but he wants it) I thought the corsair 1000w PSU would of been overkill, but a better choice.

2 250GB 32MB cache hdd's running in raid0 and a 500GB for storage

How does it all sound?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    1) Your CPU choice is weird given the other components in the system. It's out of date, while everything is much newer. Consider the Yorkfield quad cores.

2) The Formula is an uninspiring motherboard with little more prowess for the dollar than any other enthusiast motherboard. The P45 is also an uninspiring chipset that offers little for the price premium. You're better off looking at the LANPARTY DK X38-T2R. Better overclocker for a lot less money.

3) Again, another weird choice in the context of this computer. The system should really have 4GB of memory. Any popular/quality brand will do: OCZ, Corsair, Mushkin, G.SKILL, etc.

4) Good choice on graphics.

5) A complete and utter waste of money. Utterly. Go with a quality 600-700w PSU, such as anything from OCZ or Corsair and it will be more than capable of powering this system.

6) If you want storage, get storage. If you want speed, prepare to lose everything. RAID0 is a recipe for lost data. If you don't want it to go tits up, you're going to need another 500GB hard drive on hand just for backing up all that important data to.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited August 2008
    He will not be a serious over clocker. Just basic no overvolting, just a bit higher fsb than normal.

I will have a look for some yorkfield cpus.

Glad you agree with the 4870 X2 :)
    yes, we will go to a 4gb kit, also, a lower wattage psu proberly a corsair 750w or similar.
    Ok, no raid arrays, just a 500gb hdd. and a 120gb storage
    I have to say, the mobo is very very good looking, also, if he is saving money from the psu and hdd's then he is willing to pay for the mobo even if it isnt much better than other mobos for much cheaper.
    edited August 2008
    Why pay for the Formula when it isn't any better than any other quality mobo? :skeptic:
    edited August 2008
    we had a look at the dfi one you suggested and he absolutly hates the look of it.
    edited August 2008
    Also, i cant find these yorkfield quadcores

is this yorkfield? http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141517
    edited August 2008
    the only yorkfields we can find are very very pricy. What was wrong with the Q6600 GO
    It overclocks well doesnt it. surly it would be fast enough.
    edited August 2008
    yes, that is a Yorkfield.

The Q6600 would run fine, but I just think it's a bit silly to waste money on overkill power supplies and motherboards when a significantly superior CPU costs about 60 quid more, and a whole lot less than you're saving.
    edited August 2008
    Ok, good pointm what makes the yorkfield so much better, is it more overclockable and is faster? runs cooler?

Thanks
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    revorocks wrote:
    just a 500gb hdd. and a 120gb storage

I don't get it. Why would you make your storage drive the inferior-sized drive? Put the OS on a 120gb drive, put all files and media on the 500gb, and when the OS needs a refresh or something gets borked, you can just reinstall and keep your data. Why in the world would you need 500gb for an OS drive?

Also, does the Armor have a window? Who really cares what the mobo looks like? I'll plug the Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6, but I don't know what your price ranges are. It's a very quality board, though.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    For a 60 Pounds Sterling higher cost, I just don't see the advisability of a Yorkfield processor at this point. The Q6600 may be outdated, but it's still a very potent CPU.

Thrax's motherboard, storage, RAM, and PSU comments - spot on!
    Intel Q6600 2.4ghz, will most likely overclock to 3.0ghz maybe further if we have a good chip. COOLING: arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
    Not to worry. Even bottom of the barrel Q6600s will do 3.0 without a voltage boost. If your friend changes his mind and wishes to overclock more (cakewalk with the Q6600), he may not be happy with the Freezer 7 Pro. It's a decent cooler, but is far outclassed by many other relatively inexpensive heatsinks. Examples of excellent Socket 775 coolers for good prices are the OCZ Vendetta 2, Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer, and the Xigmatech (high end model - I forgot the name).

No need for that expensive Dominator DRAM. He'll get much more performance for the same money by purchasing 4GB of a less prestigious model.
  • edited August 2008
    Hi i am revorocks friend. the setup i liked comes to 857 pounds
    mobo http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=6259&cat=0&page 153

psu http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=5664&cat=735&page=1 147

RAM http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=3309&cat=506&page=1 41

graphics card http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148278 355

HDD http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130826 47

CPU http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131950 114

Snarkasm reply about the Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6, it is the same price as the Formula so within my price range, i would be happy to make the change if that mobo is higher quality http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=4503&cat=0&page
    edited August 2008
    I personally like X38 over P45, but I'll leave confirmation to others.

Did you consider getting the smaller drive for the OS and a larger drive for storage? I only see one HDD on the list.
    edited August 2008
    I thin P35 is a superior performance chipset to either the P45, X38 or X48, but they're not shipping in volume now. :(
  • edited August 2008
    I was looking at the 500gbs because of the 32mb cache. I all ready have a 120gb 8mb cache which i was going to use as a back up.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    If you want DDR2, then you want P35 (although P45 is pretty good, but not all the bugs out yet with 2x2GB) No chipset will run DDR2 ram as well as P35.
    DDR3.. then by all means X38/48.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    For ram Id stick with OCZ or crucial, always seem to be best bang for the buck
    edited August 2008
    Why not get a 4870X2 instead of two 4870s? You'll save money and can also then make do with a mid-range power supply and spend FAR less money for nearly the same performance. A 4870X2 will draw much less power than two 4870s.
    edited August 2008
    He IS getting the 4870X2. Check the link.
    edited August 2008
    IS getting the 4870X2
    Then by all means forget that silly monster PSU and get a high quality 650-750 Watt unit, like a Corsair HX series or OCZ GameStream series. Don't throw away money at a label with high wattage printed on it.
  • edited August 2008
    Well I have been look around and found that
    corsair do a 750w it is 81 pounds, 6 pound p&p here and it is not modular
    http://www.shop.bt.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4RYB&CategorySelectedId=11259&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11259,50113

OCZ do a 900w modular for 82 pounds, 8 p&p here
    https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/500w+%2B/OCZ+900W+ModXStream+Modular+PSU+?productId=29109
    So a 3 pound differences for 150w more and no mass of cables. Are these OCZ ModXStream psu good, they have a 3 year warranty
  • edited August 2008
    have I made a good choice this time?
    OCZ ModXStream 900w- 82 pounds
    OCZ 4gb DDR2 PC2-8000 ReaperX- 78 pounds
    Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB Hard Drive SATA II 7200rpm 32MB Cache 46 pounds
    Asus Maximus II Formula (P45) Motherboard- 153
    Q6600- 114 pounds
    Sapphire HD 4870X2- 355 pounds

total- 828
    29 pounds less and 2gb more RAM that befor
    edited August 2008
    Rock and Roll! Liam, remember, your RAM is probably 2.1v, so ensure to check the ratings on it before you build. It's common for a new build not to fire up because the builder forgets that the OCZ (often) will set high enough voltage by default.

You will have a very fast system with plenty of power to spare.
    Are these OCZ ModXStream psu good
    I'm running a ModXStream 780. It's very good. Excellent PSU. Check out JohnnyGuru and Anandtech for thorough, methodical PSU reviews.

To me, modular PSUs are worth the premium price.
  • edited August 2008
    yer i have heard about the bios not picking up on ram voltages i will be sour to check them.
    this will be my 1st build but revorocks will be there if there is any problems.

thanks for the help i will buying the parts in around 3 to 4 weeks
    edited August 2008
    i will be sour
    Be happy, man! You're getting a hot new computer.
  • edited August 2008
    I can't wait! will be a big jump from my old pc.
    pentium 4
    ati 9250 (that is so powerful it can play css on low at 35fps) lol
    i ran 3dmark06 it got 673

i hate this pc it do's not even turn off. i have to click turn off then wait for the hdd to click then flip the switch on the back of the psu.
    I Just can't wait to see the back of it.
  • edited August 2008
    has any one use HI-Power they sell a 1000w and a 1300w
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135192
    they are very cheap for the power they give.
    edited August 2008
    Stick with the power supply you've selected.
  • edited August 2008
    just noticed the OCZ ModXStream 900w do's not have a 8pin connector :D
    is that is no good the 4870x2 needs a 6pin and an 8pin
    edited August 2008
    Hi everyone, and Liam, glad you registered.:smiles:

Im not that sure but doesn't the 4870 X2 come with a 2 molex to 8 pin PCI-e power connector?

Therefor you wouldnt need that 8pinm but you would have 2 molex's dangling around, i imagine i could sleeve or ziptie them together though.
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure that the X2 does indeed come with a standard molex to 8-pin adapter.