Building high end gaming pc, have I made a good choice in parts?

Comments

• edited August 2008
    i was reading up on these connectors and it is said that it is better to get a psu with the right connectors. (some thing to do with the rails) am i right

how about the antec quattro 1000w
    http://www.saverstore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=20021768&pid=10&tid=52
    and if i buy the hdd from there aswell. the psu/hdd will cost 152 pounds that is ok but i don't know what the p&p will be

X2 does come with a 8-pin adapter
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited August 2008
    You really do not need 1000W
    Its a waste of money, also, i think you should buy all the parts from one place, saves alot of confusion, unless you cant get a part you want from that one place.
    edited August 2008
    Even this is overkill but it has the connectors you need.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129282
    edited August 2008
    I think this would be best. Look really nice, and has extra connectors if you feel like going insane and buying another 4870 X2 later.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132289
  • edited August 2008
    may be but a 850w will never power 2 x2s
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    I can find 650w PSUs that will power 2 X2s.

Wattage is not everything with a power supply. In fact, it's one of the least important main specifications for a PSU.
  • edited August 2008
    do hiper make good psu
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134072
    what has an 8 pin and is says Modular power cord think that just the coed that plugs into the wall (European model only)
    edited August 2008
    Exactly what thrax said, 850 will be more than enough since its a good quality PSU.
    edited August 2008
    Its cheap for a reason liam, come on xfire, i cant install steam on this computer but xfire is installing now.
    Get the coolermaster one
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132289
  • edited August 2008
    my dad owes me 150 pounds so i bought the coolermaster 850w and a 500gb hdd:D

i need to test the psu with the pc i have a the moment, but mine has a 20 pin port. The PSU motherboard connector is a single chunk of 24 pins can i just leave the last 4 hanging over the edge?
  • edited August 2008
    found the answer
    If you have an ATX power supply with a 24 pin main cable, it's okay to plug it into a motherboard with a 20 pin connector. It was designed to work that way. You can see an example in the picture above. The extra 4 pins on the cable just hang over the end of the motherboard connector. The 24 pin cable only fits into a 20 pin socket at one end so you can't plug it in incorrectly. The extra 4 pins were added to the 24 pin version of the cable to provide one extra wire for ground, 3.3, 5, and 12 volts. But it's okay to leave those 4 pins disconnected because a motherboard with a 20 pin connector doesn't need them. The only problem you can bump into (literally) is if there is something blocking the spot where the 24 pin cable hangs over the end. Or sometimes the end of the 20 pin motherboard connector is too thick to fit between the pins of the 24 pin cable. You can solve that problem by carefully shaving down one end of the 20 pin motherboard connector. It's just plastic. You won't miss it. If you can't get them to fit together then you can get an adapter cable which will make it work. The 24 pin cable plugs into one end of the adapter and then the adapter plugs into the 20 pin motherboard. But you should avoid using that kind of adapter if you can because the extra wire and connector are just more things which can go wrong. Adapters also slightly increase the voltage drop which is something worth avoiding. It's better to first see if you can get a 24 pin cable to fit into a 20 pin motherboard before resorting to an adapter.

there if someone else wanted to know.
  • edited September 2008
    just brought
    OCZ 4gb DDR2 PC2-8000 ReaperX
    Asus Maximus II Formula
    Q6600
    Sapphire HD 4870X2:):D:):D

it will arrive tomorrow 1st class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2008
    Well, I'd warn you about all the failures I've had from sapphire, and them dicking me around on RMA's...But it's a little too late.
    edited September 2008
    Well, just aswell it has a 3 year guaruntee! ( I spelt the g word wrong didn't I :( )
    edited September 2008
    Guarantee, but they say that about all of their products and you're lucky if you can even get the pricks on the phone with their ENGRISH.
  • edited September 2008
    looking around and can find nothing but good reviews and this forum http://www.overclock.net/ati/380324-club3d-sapphire-4870x2.html
    maybe you just got a bad card or maybe there was a bad line of cards.

well i hope it will be fine.
    edited September 2008
    I had the 3850. They told me, and I quote. "Due to the high temperatures experienced by the new line of our cards, warranties will not be given to those that reach in excess of 120 degrees centigrade."

BS or not, I was out 200 bucks.
  • edited September 2008
    well i will have to go mad on cooling

if warranties were given with the 3850 it should of said it the book and most things now all have 1 year warranties i think they should of replaced it.
    edited September 2008
    Well I have mad cooling too, and the ambient temperature was around 70F. I have a 250mm fan servicing the expantion area of my case, and I do not screw around when it comes to air channels or dust. I knew what I was doing and wasn't afraiding of anything.

They still stiffed me.
    edited September 2008
    FINISHED, Me and Liam both finished building the computer today. To our delight, it booted up strait away, off his old harddrive onto XP. We then formatted it and installed Vista 64 bit. Its a super fast computer, can't wait to see how it plays crysis. Got it cable managed very nicely and neatly, prehaps liam will take some pictures if he knows how to upload them.

Cpu temps are around 30-35 idle so the passive cooler is working well, he might put a fan on it when he overclocks it to 3.0 ghz.

It was Liams first pc build and im glad nothing went wrong, as he did seem to be parraniod for around a month before :P
  • TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited September 2008
    Cool, hope some pics do end up getting posted. Always like a little gadget pr0n :D
    edited September 2008
    Well, i say no problems, there is one... The screen is blurry. Not very blurry, well, very blurry on 1920 x 1200. It deffinatly is a hd tv and supports that resolution.

I can't work out why it is blurry, if you lower the resolution its not as bad but still blurry.

Its going through HDMI. Liam says it is fine in games, not blurry, but blurry in windows.

Why is this and how can he fix it.
    Also, how does he get HDMI sound to work?

Thanks.
    edited September 2008
    Easy two single step processes.

HDMI sound. Go into the windows sound manager and select the HDMI sound driver provided by ATI. I can't remember what it's called, but it should have ATI somewhere in the name.

Check the Catalyst Control Center for Image Sharpening on Color Correction. If it'd be anywhere, it'd be there.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Is everything blurry, or is it a fonts thing? Might need ClearType enabled, I don't remember if it comes default on Vista or not.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    revorocks wrote:
    Well, i say no problems, there is one... The screen is blurry. Not very blurry, well, very blurry on 1920 x 1200. It deffinatly is a hd tv and supports that resolution.

I can't work out why it is blurry, if you lower the resolution its not as bad but still blurry.

Its going through HDMI. Liam says it is fine in games, not blurry, but blurry in windows.

Why is this and how can he fix it.
    Also, how does he get HDMI sound to work?

Thanks.

Screenshot, pls.
    edited September 2008
    I checked for himj before i left and clear type was enabled.
  • edited September 2008
    it looks better on there
    edited September 2008
    Thats no where near as bad as it was, infact, thats fine. you need to take a screen shot of it at a much higher res, thats when it gets stupidly blurry,
    edited September 2008
    Well, if it gets blurry, then you need to construct additional pylons.

Seriously, if it's blurry at 1920x1080 or whatever resolutions you're running it at, check the monitor's settings, or try a different cable.
    edited September 2008
    hes tried different cables and different resolutions, it gets less blurry the lower the resolution, he is on a 32 inch tv btw.