A fresh start

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Oh man, I've been slacking. The only thing I have folding right now is the 8800GT in my server. I'll get GPU2 back on the 4870 and an SMP client on the Q6600. Let's do this.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    All of my folding machines are fairly ancient rigs, but I'm going to keep on trucking because I'm so close to 1 million points! Still, I'm folding because it's for a good cause. I know someday that Pande and friends are going to have a breakthrough.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    SM21 has been revived via a 1.83ghz core duo iMac...trying the new OSX SMP non-console client.

I'm not ready to mess with my new machine and GPU2, my heat is already higher than I want.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Awesome. I got the mac SMP client on my 3ghz C2D iMac at work as well :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I'm liking what I'm seeing. Let's get the excitement back!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I might have ta go back to folding under Angel Heather once again, Shoulda never stopped
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Nice! We should see a significant increase in our production starting tomorrow. :)
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Got GPU folding going on my 8800gts. We'll see what kinda ppd I'll get with it.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    If it's the G92 8800GTS you're running it on, you should see between 4800 and 5200ppd.
    edited November 2008
    Its actually this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130410 . Gonna guess I'll get 1-2k less than yours.

p.s. Damn prices have changed. I bought that card new for 300 :( (thought that was last jan-feb)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    If someone could tell me if they fixed or made better folding on quad cores, I may start again. Last time was a PITA.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I just went to their website and downloaded the 6.20 client, hit install, and that was it. If I was supposed to do something else they lost me... :scratch:
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    F@H is up and running again on my rig.
    edited November 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    I just went to their website and downloaded the 6.20 client, hit install, and that was it. If I was supposed to do something else they lost me... :scratch:

user: fatcat6
    team: 93
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    no it should be

user:_k_
    team:93

Run the client and right click the sys tray icon and enter your info then save/ok button. Thats all you need to do now go buy another video card and we will talk again.......you mean the GPU client right
    edited November 2008
    well, I downloaded GPU2 and it doesnt support my video card. :(
    edited November 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    well, I downloaded GPU2 and it doesnt support my video card. :(

That's weird. They say "2xxx/3xxx ATI Video Card, or newer ". You sure you downloaded the correct client?
    edited November 2008
    That's weird. They say "2xxx/3xxx ATI Video Card, or newer ". You sure you downloaded the correct client?

I believe its because my card is not normal. It comes defaultly overclocked and I use Asus video drivers.

I downloaded, Folding@home-Win32-GPU_XP-620r1 console version.

I also use WinXP64
    edited November 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    I use Asus video drivers.

You need to download the 3000 series drivers from AMD. Asus drivers are not compatible at this time.
    edited November 2008
    TBonZ wrote:
    You need to download the 3000 series drivers from AMD. Asus drivers are not compatible at this time.

I lose the ability to control my video card fan speed with any other drivers.

and, I think you mean 4000 series drivers?
    edited November 2008
    Sorry, yes, 4000 series.

Are you using SmartDoctor?
    edited November 2008
    TBonZ wrote:
    Sorry, yes, 4000 series.

Are you using SmartDoctor?

yus, I use the SmartCooling to adjust fan speeds based on temps. When I tried the normal AMD/ATI drivers my fan just ran 40% rpm, idle AND load. temps were through the atmosphere.
    edited November 2008
    No problem. SD is not dependent on having Asus display drivers or CCC software. Uninstall the both, download AMD's 4800 series driver and CCC's setup and SD is still there for you.

...unless of course x64 is different...let me check...

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp64/radeonx-xp64
    edited November 2008
    thanks for the info TBonZ
    edited November 2008
    Glad to help out. I ran into the same problem using the Asus drivers but AMD's offerings sorted everything. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Black Hawk wrote:
    If someone could tell me if they fixed or made better folding on quad cores, I may start again. Last time was a PITA.

The newest client is pretty stable. There will be the occasional lost work unit, but even with a perfect system and software, some units will fail. Stanford actually expects some units to bomb, even under ideal conditions. That data is also very important to the project. But sorry for the sidetrack. Yes, quad core SMP processing has improved in efficiency and reliability. It becomes a bit complicated (but not too bad) when you run multiple SMP clients, but a single client is easy to set up.

download here -- I recommend "6.22 beta2 for MPICH (32-bit or 64-bit)"

installation guide here

If you need specific installation or configuration help, please start a new thread. I believe we are at the stage now in a Team 93 revival where we should open threads for specific issues.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    This sounds real good! I think between my new Q9300, 4830 GPU and old rig I should be able to tun in some points. ;) Lock and load, I'm in!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    Check your Task Manager and see if you're getting 100% usage. If not, you'll need to add some flags to get it to use SMP.
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited November 2008
    I think I'll start folding again :)
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    OK, I'm back:

okimback.jpg

I'll see what else I can add this week.