Icrontient rail system management

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    When you think you have time, hit me up with a text, I will see if I can be on as well.

Ok, I guess you can't text me (unless you have my number already?)
    edited December 2010
    At Grand Central, I added a repeater (double inverter) to the south loop (ICTown) and now all 3 departure platforms work as intended.. yay!
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    whee! I'll still check out the layout, not sure where a North Line would go
    edited December 2010
    Yea, I would help you tear it down and re-organize if necessary. Now that I understand all the switches, etc.
    edited December 2010
    I think the East Line platform is the best example so far. I might hollow out Grand Central, rebuild West and South platforms, make a new North platform. Should be room if they're all the same as the East platform.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Yea, I would help you tear it down and re-organize if necessary. Now that I understand all the switches, etc.

Yeah, once you see one working and understand it, it's not too bad. I didn't plan the first platform at all, just made it on the fly while you were there. Each platform after that has gotten a little more compact, this last one looks really good.

I think i can fit 3 of them where the first 2 currently are. Hardest thing for me is finding time to do it.

edit: I'll be rebuilding the first 2 platforms from 7-9 tonight :)
    edited December 2010
    I just finished replacing the gravel with cobblestone everywhere that didn't have track on it. I am going to hollow out an area so it will be easier to make the redstone circuits, then fix anything I break on the surface.
    edited December 2010
    Damn you work-from-home people! :)

Yeah, I had an interesting time hollowing with the gravel up there :)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I haven't looked at how our boosters work but this seems to be a popular way of doing it:

http://i.imgur.com/R4Hwn.png

Though I would keep the plate system instead of the button. I like being able to just get in and go.

Thanks to everyone working on the rails! I'll make a wood donation next time I get on the server.

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    Ours is like that, but 3-4x more efficient on track, and uses one booster to support 3 (soon 4) departure platforms. :)
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I had an interesting time hollowing with the gravel up there :)
    Yea, I should have thought of that before using it to replace the grass, just don't want spawn.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Yea, I should have thought of that before using it to replace the grass, just don't want spawn.

meh, no big deal.
    edited December 2010
    Ryder and I fixed up and greatly simplified Grand Central. 4 working platforms now, N, S, E and W. Uses only one booster! (and a second booster to turbo-boost the main 'engine')

E line tunnel is looking really good, and we found a very cool spot for the East Line station to be.
    edited December 2010
    Who added a station to the east line with a wood pressure plate and a stone pressure plate? Right in front of Basil's lengthy shaft in the mountain behind spawn.

Right now, it doesn't work and I am a little confused. I had the east line working all the way to its end last night, including 1 booster that was necessary.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Twas me, sorry, only got it half finished before my really dodgy connection packed in.

Basic idea is that a cart stops on the plates, once a person gets out it'll fire the cart a few blocks further along to a yet-to-be-placed stone plate where it will wait until someone enters before continuing on it's route.

<del>You can just smash the pressure plates and track on through for now.</del> Added a bypass.

BTW there was a flooded section of tunnel near the exit, I replaced what track I could but it looks like whatever creeper blast caused the leak damaged track on the surface.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I am about half way done with a private line that is west of the ICTown and runs to my personal lake area farther west. Currently there are no plans to build a west line out where I am but just throwing a FYI.
    edited December 2010
    Someone has been working hard! I see we have an East station, which is functional.

Grand Central departure to the East station is working. The return from East station to GC is now fully operational as well, I laid the rest of the track and brought it into the station, it loops through the northern section of the "loop" around spawn. We could save a lot of track and make a straight tunnel now that spawn is flat and protected is only 9 squares (or should be).

The East line needs a lot of security (walls to prevent livestock/baddies) and torches. It is the most rural line at the moment and there is lots of spawn.

I started on a revised north line departure from Grand Central. Need some opinions there. It is the elevated platform that goes towards spawn and then turns North. It would go out towards my mine, then have to go east a bit, then could be built out over the water towards Eggroll's place and end in a station where we choose.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Someone has been working hard! I see we have an East station, which is functional.

;)

I had to do a lot of rework near spawn. I tried to understand what was going on with someone's construction efforts but had to rework it.

I've been thinking about how to do timed, intermediate stops in a very compact manner and will test at basil's mine as soon as I can

Ultimately, I want carts to be able to stop for 5-10 seconds, give the rider the option to hit a switch and take a private line somewhere, and have the switch reset after they leave. Or do nothing and continue down the line.

Hopefully people will coordinate in this thread though, so getting to somewhere like IC town doesn't take 40 stops and 20 minutes...

Also, coordinate with your neighbors so we don't waste tons of iron making an ungodly amount of private lines going to each and every manmade structure in the world... The main IC lines can and will be extended, and um more than happy to do all the work upon request to prevent these issues from happening.

My $0.02
    edited December 2010
    Trying to get a handle on a north spur. Next time you are on T_T, see what you think. I don't have enough material to get real far, about 200 meters from the station.

Oh, and I re-did the platforms and grand central. Saved about 30 sections of track.

Same platforms, they are just in a different order.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    +84 iron to the IC town drop-off. That is all.
    edited December 2010
    Yeah that prob makes sense.

I'd like to see a topo map and mark it out with torches first or something. East line is ok, but I really like the lines that run above ground, really cool to use the carts for sightseeing. Would live to see the north line follow the valleys, etc out to the grinders.

Agree or no?
    edited December 2010
    +84 iron to the IC town drop-off. That is all.

Nice!
    edited December 2010
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    21 iron blocks (that's 189 ingots) dropped off at the ICTown box. Drop them into the crafting screen to break them into ingots again.
    edited December 2010
    Holy crap, that's a lot of iron.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    That's only half of what I have. Been mining. A lot. :D

Also, if you need redstone, I have I think more than half a large chest filled with it, as well as a full double chest of cobblestone. Both are out front of my place. Go crazy. :)
    edited December 2010
    Thank you Snark.

There are now 736 meters of railway in the Grand Central holding box.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:

I meant a heightmap. Trying to identify the valleys by altitude so we can follow the topography. make sense / cool, or no?
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Can we put some carts in a storage chest at spawn? That'd be AWESOME.
    edited January 2011
    Yea, I will do one when I get home.
    I meant a heightmap. Trying to identify the valleys by altitude so we can follow the topography. make sense / cool, or no?