Icrontient rail system management

1235»

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I've developed an engine that is immune to server restarts. The prototype is near the East line, just SW after coming above ground.

I'll work on moving / copying it to Grand Central when I can. Moving this weekend though, so check it out / duplicate it if you have time / feel like doing something.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    +100 iron to Grand Central box. The north and south lines departing GC need extra boosters as well. I also have a proposal for any new lines (and maybe a few existing ones.) Put one track instead of two. I'm not sure the lines are used enough to constitute dedicated two way traffic.
    edited March 2011
    +100 iron to Grand Central box. The north and south lines departing GC need extra boosters as well. I also have a proposal for any new lines (and maybe a few existing ones.) Put one track instead of two. I'm not sure the lines are used enough to constitute dedicated two way traffic.

Agreed.

We also have issues with iron disappearing, might want to hold onto it. :(

I've been collecting coordinates for landmarks to try and find the best use of line extensions. I have them in an excel spreadsheet, makes for a pretty good to-scale map of the system. Need to start a thread to collect more so I can see where the development is going, where the lines need to go.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Ok, I'll hang on to it then. Lemme know where/when you want it. As far as landmarks go, it looks like there's quite a bit of activity up to the north.
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I started a thread to collect coordinates.

When I figure out how to do groups with /lwc I'll see if I can get a 'railroad' group chest going.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Grand Central, the booster goes to every departure no matter where you are departing from. When I sit on West, it goes right down the line trying to boost the other departures, then runs out of steam before it sends you out West.
    edited March 2011
    Can't investigate with only 1 person, nothing to push button.
    edited March 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Can't investigate with only 1 person, nothing to push button.

Yeah, I borked it. I fixed the w line but the rest are still goofy. There needs to be a space between the rails on each platform's booster loop. I can get in tonight, moving.
    edited March 2011
    moving.
    Again?
    edited March 2011
    It acts more like the switches are being thrown for all the loops when you press the button.
  • branmysonbranmyson Ekalaka, MT
    edited March 2011
    I added about 24 carts to the public transport chests, unfortunately in my drive to distribute all these carts to each terminus, A creeper hit me just as I made it to the 4 sisters terminal. All I was carrying was carts so I had no material to repair. I placed all the items that survived in a nearby chest and when I get a chance I'll try and figure out how to put it back together... so far my rail construction ability needs a few more skill points.
  • branmysonbranmyson Ekalaka, MT
    edited March 2011
    Looks like I was able to fix it.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Station management may soon get much more simple. Apparently, Notch and Jeb have taken a gander at this image and seem to like what they see:

42ESb.jpg
    edited March 2011
    That would work. Would eliminate booster "engines", and inline boosters for one-way travel. Not getting my hopes up yet, but it would be nice.

It would also be nice to have the physics standardized and known, like:

For every section of booster:
    • Carts get x amount of energy, up to y
    • carts use x amount of energy to travel n number of blocks on flat ground
    • carts use x amount of energy to travel z number of blocks on a 45-degree incline.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    It looks like it's inline boosters for two-way travel. A bi-lit track section accelerates a minecart in either direction given it's already moving, but it can't accelerate a non-moving one. Seems like an infinite bi-directional booster.
    edited March 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    It looks like it's inline boosters for two-way travel. A bi-lit track section accelerates a minecart in either direction given it's already moving, but it can't accelerate a non-moving one. Seems like an infinite bi-directional booster.

That's exactly what it can be. that, or a one-way booster-and-launch-pad.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Oh, I misinterpreted your statement. I thought you were indicating they could be inline one-wayers, not that they'd eliminate inline one-wayers.

But yeah, interesting idea, though.
    edited March 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Oh, I misinterpreted your statement. I thought you were indicating they could be inline one-wayers, not that they'd eliminate inline one-wayers.

But yeah, interesting idea, though.

yeah, they can do away with the current cart-based inline boosters, as well as the cart-based engines (which currently also need resetting after every server restart)

I can see dickheads right-clicking boosters though, and changing their polarity. A lot easier to do that than to rearrange a cart-based booster.
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited March 2011
    Man I would love to see new booster tracks! That would make flat boosters WAY more simple and less easy to disturb or get bugged on the server!

Although at some point it would be awesome to have notch stop updating the game with random things like beds and to finally put the netherworld in multiplayer ....
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Man I would love to see new booster tracks! That would make flat boosters WAY more simple and less easy to disturb or get bugged on the server!

Although at some point it would be awesome to have notch stop updating the game with random things like beds and to finally put the netherworld in multiplayer ....

The Nether is already available in SMP, the problem is that everyone on a server has to be in one world. So you can have the normal world server or you can have the Nether. Mojang is working on Nether portals connecting servers so that you can have a Regular world server and a Nether world server that the nether gates teleport you between servers.

And I am all for continuing to add to the game before he goes into fixing everything and making final release mode.

-Digi
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Also, there are plugins that allow you to do Regular/Nether world like it is in single player on a multi-player server. One such plugin is installed on my Test server currently. It doesn't work exactly as one would expect... but it does work.
    edited March 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    And I am all for continuing to add to the game before he goes into fixing everything and making final release mode.

-Digi

I like the updates as well, but there so far is no substitute in my mind for
    1. blocks that BURN WITH THE FIRES OF HELL ETERNALLY
    2. Zombie Pig Gangs (because honestly, after a lava bucket and 1000 pieces of cobblestone go through a furnace, your pork cannot taste good.)
    3. Some of the most truly frightening minecart rides ever. (Minecart rides of death down a hillside, good. Minecart rides down a hilside of hellfire and taking a sharp left at the giant river of lava, great. Minecart rides down a mountain of eternally burning fire blocks across oceans of lava with ghosts shooting explosive st elmo's fire at you, NOW WE ARE IN BUISNESS)
  • GorzoGorzo Columbus, OH
    edited March 2011
    Getting back on the Incrontinent rail topic, I've completed a new section of rail that extends from the Northern Island depot to the Glass Diamond project I've created out north, about 800 blocks.

The boost from the depot is fun, you should enjoy it. And you certainly can't miss it, you'll see it coming in from grand central (Just take Northern Islands track). The way back is less automatic, and still requires you to give the cart a push and hop in to start. Will add a pressure plate auto-start upon request, but will leave as-is otherwise.
    edited March 2011
    also on the rail topic, you should notice there are now minecarts in the public chests. LOTS OF MINECARTS. Feel free to use some of them to replace boosts that people glitch.
    edited March 2011
    Added to the motor on the north isles track, now it goes to that grinder in the area. Also added bypass for coming from the grinder straight into grand central without stopping at the NI substation