Icrontient rail system management

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Can we put some carts in a storage chest at spawn? That'd be AWESOME.
    There should be carts at grand central which seconds from spawn. You can't go anywhere from spawn anyway without going to grand central.
    I made rail out of all the donated iron, should have made a couple more carts. I carry one with me, which is what people should start doing. Only takes 5 iron to make one.
    edited January 2011
    This is what cartograph calls a heightmap T_T:

http://www.ryderocz.info/minecraft/new_ic/heightmap.png
    edited January 2011
    May I ask what the 3 "hills" in the middle of the South line near town are for?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    To get a rise out of you.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I see what you did there :B
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    He felt it would be an uplifting experience.
    edited January 2011
    :tim: :shakehead :grumble:
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Thank you Snark.

There are now 736 meters of railway in the Grand Central holding box.

When I got there, there was only 3 stacks of 64 + some change left. I built out a road to a North station - situated on a nice picturesque natural plateau in the middle of the sand islands. I started running track, but ran out.

If we want the N station to be further away, it's not a problem, I just didn't want to make the first station too far away.

Also, some douche stole the reset booster at grand central because we apparently didn't have a minecart waiting for them. Don't do that. It makes the station stop working.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    When I got there, there was only 3 stacks of 64 + some change left. I built out a road to a North station - situated on a nice picturesque natural plateau in the middle of the sand islands. I started running track, but ran out.

If we want the N station to be further away, it's not a problem, I just didn't want to make the first station too far away.
    I think that's a good place for a station.
    Also, some douche stole the reset booster at grand central because we apparently didn't have a minecart waiting for them. Don't do that. It makes the station stop working.

I was wondering why I had to keep reseting the station manually the other day. :P
    edited January 2011
    When we can figure out where the other 544 meters of rail went, I'll finish the North line, make the station, and extend the West Line to stop at IC mountain, but then curve north and service the grinders.
    edited January 2011
    I did use some of it to make the return line for the part of the North that I had started.

I did notice that it had dwindled beyond that though.

Also, someone must have been surprised by a creeper at the west station, there are 3 missing sections of track and it no longer functions.

If you break something, leave a note somewhere, come on people! Make a sign in game, post on the forum, something.

1 last thing, make a minecart and carry it with you, no more minecarts in the boxes unless we get more iron donations after the rail is finished.
    edited January 2011
    That sucks, but the West station is going to get redone anyway - will be the first 'stop' station, as opposed to a 'end of the line' station.
    edited January 2011
    One of these days, I'm going to build a wall in Grand Central and use signs to make a to-scale map of the entire system. (each character is 20 meters or something)

I'm thinking the West side of the station is the only place for it.

edit - maybe less meters per character so we can mark where landmarks are... but I'm trying to balance between marking our on the map where stuff is in relation to the lines, and not having the map be 20 meters tall...
    edited January 2011
    West station fixed.

Whose chest sits a top what started out to be Atlantis? There is rail in there I used to fix the west station.
    edited January 2011
    I don't think we knew anything was even still over there in Old Atlantis. The Atlantis building crew has completely abandoned any projects in that part of the sea for now.

We should proly spend some time prettying up that bit, so it doesn't look like such an eyesore anymore.
    edited January 2011
    Someone dropped off a bunch of iron at Grand Central. Thanks!

Turned it into rail, and was able to extend the outbound line all the way to the North station on the dune island plateau. The outbound line needed one booster so I built that. I had to give up my one minecart for the booster so I wasn't able to test.

I didn't have enough rail to build a departures platform at the North station, so I used it to make a return line booster. The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure it'll have to be moved closer to Grand Central, and I'm sure it's not needed that close to the North station due to all the downhill run coming off of the plateau. Won't know until we get about 128 rail to finish the return line and create the station.

I noticed that the East line needs to have its return booster moved closer to Grand Central. 50-100 blocks should do it. Can get to that later as well.

I started work on the West line extension as well - what will eventually be the line that continues from IC Mountain to service the grinders. Just been normalizing a 3-meter wide path so far and finding the path of least resistance through the crazy mountains on the NW side. Found a nice crevice to make it through - will need a small bridge, then on to the grinders. It should be one of the more interesting lines to ride, and I managed to make it into several large, straight shots so people have time to sightsee without the cart jerking back and forth.
    edited January 2011
    I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I reconfigured the east and north lines to make them look nicer, and save 50-something pieces of track (which I just realized are still in my inventory. I'll use them to extend North line next time I log on).

Also, I built a booster on the Eastern return line, so that that carts make it all the way back to station now.

The bad news is that when I visited Eastern station, there was a creeper waiting for me at the arrivals gate. Unfortunately, I don'tknow how to repair the circutry, so someone else will have to handle that. :(

I learned a couple things today, which I'm sure others already know, but I'll share anyway:
    • Skelly arrows which happen to get stuck in the track, stop carts.
    • Furnace-carts don't work as booster components.
    edited January 2011
    You can get to n station now. I Jerry-rigged a way to get halfway back until we can get more rail.

Speaking of rail, I walked about 100m east of IC town and found a large roller coaster with boosters every 10m of so, none of them that work. Looks like fish and fishcrap made it. What's the deal there? I tried to start fixing it so it works but it doesn't do anything so I stopped. Looks like it's abandoned?
    edited January 2011
    Or maybe someone found some rail and wanted to play with it?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    That is fish's and it worked when I rode it.
    edited January 2011
    North line completed and functioning. I added a booster to both outbound and inbound.
    50% of the time I never made it up the last hill on the way to the North station and I never made it back to grand central, so I needed another booster for both. The booster is close to the last hill before arrival at the North station, but that was where I was losing speed during my failed attempts.
    The added booster to the return is just below the big hill and you still "coast" in to Grand Central sometimes.

I had 100 meters of track left, they are in the West station chest, since that seems to be the next expansion area.
    edited January 2011
    Nice! I was going to say that I finished the n station, but it looks like you're on it :)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of rail, I walked about 100m east of IC town and found a large roller coaster with boosters every 10m of so, none of them that work. Looks like fish and fishcrap made it. What's the deal there? I tried to start fixing it so it works but it doesn't do anything so I stopped. Looks like it's abandoned?

I just went out of my mine and saw this eye sore. I am less then happy about its location over the lake that Hitman, Prag and I built around. Very far less then happy.

-Digi
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Perhaps we should once again discuss being more selective with the whitelist?
    edited January 2011
    T_T, why so far north with the "west" expansion? :D
    edited January 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    T_T, why so far north with the "west" expansion? :D

:D

The 2 grinders are on the NW corner of the island. N line goes 4x too far north to swing W and pick them up, so the W line has to come N to them.

Do we have a skele grinder somewhere? The W line will service a spider and zombie grinder, I wanted to try and reach a skele grinder as well.

(Arrows make exploring caves waaaay easier)
    edited January 2011
    Yes, we have a Skele grinder, BobbyDigi, Bender, and various others know where.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    The Skele grinder is actually close to your place TT. The only way I can describe it right now is to tell you to take the road that spurs off the eastern road to my place, this will take you to a hub where one of the doors takes you to skeleton road, follow that road to the Grinder at Benders place.

-Digi
    edited January 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    The Skele grinder is actually close to your place TT. The only way I can describe it right now is to tell you to take the road that spurs off the eastern road to my place, this will take you to a hub where one of the doors takes you to skeleton road, follow that road to the Grinder at Benders place.

-Digi

Ah ok. I'll grab you when you're on or get the coords from you sometime. Sounds like an E line extension... :)
  • edited January 2011
    Since there is some speak of Skeleton grinders, I figured I'd remention my new one way north of town. It is accessible through a tunnel system by grand central, but I would like to extend the north line that way if you guys don't mind. Or if your just heading due north with the track extentions, I'll build something a bit closer to that so tunnel access can be quicker.