Zambezi build

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I have to say, I tore through a malwarebytes full scan while similtaniously plyaing TF2 in a window, while also uploading a fairly large photo folder all at the same time, so the FX-6100 is still pretty darn swank, but I do wish I I had gotten the eight core. Damn you thrifty sesibility! (or as some would say, my cheap ass)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I have to say, I tore through a malwarebytes full scan while similtaniously plyaing TF2 in a window, while also uploading a fairly large photo folder all at the same time, so the FX-6100 is still pretty darn swank, but I do wish I I had gotten the eight core. Damn you thrifty sesibility! (or as some would say, my cheap ass)
    Check ebay next week. With everyone mouthing off how unsatisfied they are you should be able to pick one up on the cheap ...then you can turn your's over just the same. Or maybe just keep what you have Idunno.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10360BD5410&vpn=FD8120FRGUBOX&manufacture=AMD There's another reputable seller, showing 8120 in stock free ground ship (it's Canada, that means ~ a week.) But I haven't seen the sku ('WM' instead of 'FR') you're after anywhere yet.
    edited October 2011
    keto wrote:
    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10360BD5410&vpn=FD8120FRGUBOX&manufacture=AMD There's another reputable seller, showing 8120 in stock free ground ship (it's Canada, that means ~ a week.) But I haven't seen the sku ('WM' instead of 'FR') you're after anywhere yet.

Thanks for that follow-up. Thrax is/will be testing an FX-8110 (95W) part and I'm waiting for results. If they are close (overclock wise) to 125W FX's then I will definitely get whichever 95W FX-81** is available. :csimon:

Another note:

AMD Working on Bulldozer B3 Stepping
    edited October 2011
    Says "FX is on the move". Have they moved?
    edited October 2011
    Here are some new FX-8120 95W (FD8120WMGUSBX) benchies I've been anticipating ...sorta. I guess they look good but I've always had a hard time interpreting FlanK3r (@ XtremeSystems) ...bless his soul, wonderful guy I'm certain.

If what I interpret is what I suspect ...then FX-8120 (125W) & FX-8120 (95W) are on par with each other and giving basically the same results performance wise. If this is the case, and FX-8120 95W (FD8120WMGUSBX) is the cooler chip then this is the one I want to go with. I can fold 24/7 at a decent overclock and not burn the house down. This is a major part of my goal. Other than that I will game and do some CAD in the evening. I'd like to maintain a quiet-ish system while doing this.

Anyone care to comment or help interpret???
    edited October 2011
    If I had to do it again, an 8 core 95 watt part is what I'd opt for, no doubt.
    edited October 2011
    If I had to do it again, an 8 core 95 watt part is what I'd opt for, no doubt.
    Why?
  • edited October 2011
    From what I'm seeing over at OC Forums Chris, the FX is a cast iron bitch to cool effectively. It's looking like a minimum of very high end air or a damn good loop to get consistently good temps when overclocked to 4.5 or above. Plus, most of the ones I've been seeing posts on over there are having problems keeping all modules stable at those speeds. 4.5 seems to be pretty doable, but above that it's hard to keep all modules active under load such as P95. It's looking to me like trying to cool a Bloomfield i7, but without the extra heat headroom. My i7 930 in my test system has been over 100 C during testing with no ill effects. Of course, it doesn't stay there long either because testing heatsinks is stressful enough on the hardware without begging the parts to die on you either. I had to swap my mobo out because that damn P6T started getting unstable on vcore and occasionally blue screening and I had my old 7900GTX up and croak on me too.:rolleyes:

Thrax, I've seen various things posted about max temps on BD, with a 61 C number being bandied about. Is this the max suggested core temp for BD or is that a TcaseMax temp like Intel is fond of using. Or if it's something else entirely. I would like to post the correct max core temp over there as read by Core Temp or HW Monitor and clear up some FUD on the issue, if you happen to know. I know you work for AMD, so I figured I'd ask.:)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'll find out for you on Monday; I know just who to ask.
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    I'll find out for you on Monday; I know just who to ask.

I posted these questions at [H] ...maybe you can get answers for them as well while you're at it. It would be much appreciated if that can happen. Mostly I am interested in #1.

1.) When will the FX-8120 95W (FD8120WMGUSBX) be available in the U.S.?
    2.) Why wasn't it made available when the other 8 core processors came to market as scheduled?
    3.) When will the giveaway happen?
    edited October 2011
    1) Won't get an answer to that.
    2) Maybe won't get an answer.
    3) Stand by.
    edited October 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Why?

Because bulldozer as an architecture really thrives on more cores. If you can get that experience in a 95 watt package, then it's the best of both worlds.
    edited October 2011
    muddocktor wrote:
    From what I'm seeing over at OC Forums Chris, the FX is a cast iron bitch to cool effectively. It's looking like a minimum of very high end air or a damn good loop to get consistently good temps when overclocked to 4.5 or above. Plus, most of the ones I've been seeing posts on over there are having problems keeping all modules stable at those speeds. 4.5 seems to be pretty doable, but above that it's hard to keep all modules active under load such as P95. It's looking to me like trying to cool a Bloomfield i7, but without the extra heat headroom. My i7 930 in my test system has been over 100 C during testing with no ill effects. Of course, it doesn't stay there long either because testing heatsinks is stressful enough on the hardware without begging the parts to die on you either. I had to swap my mobo out because that damn P6T started getting unstable on vcore and occasionally blue screening and I had my old 7900GTX up and croak on me too.:rolleyes:

Thrax, I've seen various things posted about max temps on BD, with a 61 C number being bandied about. Is this the max suggested core temp for BD or is that a TcaseMax temp like Intel is fond of using. Or if it's something else entirely. I would like to post the correct max core temp over there as read by Core Temp or HW Monitor and clear up some FUD on the issue, if you happen to know. I know you work for AMD, so I figured I'd ask.:)

I can only speak for my FX-6100 being cooled with a pretty run of the mill direct touch heat pipe cooler with 120mm fan (and I say it this way because I expect most enthusiasts will at least have something similar, or better) the chip temps are just fine under load overclocked up to about 4.5. I'm struggling to hit overclocks better than that, Prime stable at least, and I don't suspect its a temperature issue because even with voltage bumps, I'm not getting to that 60C+ threshold before I blue screen. Now, that could be for a hundred reasons, maybe my board, RAM, my own personal ineptitude, I don't know, but what I can say is under load past 1.4 volts, it no more difficult to keep cool than any other chip I've overclocked in the past.
    edited October 2011
    I can only speak for my FX-6100 being cooled with a pretty run of the mill direct touch heat pipe cooler with 120mm fan (and I say it this way because I expect most enthusiasts will at least have something similar, or better) the chip temps are just fine under load overclocked up to about 4.5. I'm struggling to hit overclocks better than that, Prime stable at least, and I don't suspect its a temperature issue because even with voltage bumps, I'm not getting to that 60C+ threshold before I blue screen. Now, that could be for a hundred reasons, maybe my board, RAM, my own personal ineptitude, I don't know, but what I can say is under load past 1.4 volts, it no more difficult to keep cool than any other chip I've overclocked in the past.

What PSU are you using?
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    1) Won't get an answer to that.
    2) Maybe won't get an answer.
    3) Stand by.

I won't/maybe won't get an answer or you won't/maybe won't get an answer? Or both?
    edited October 2011
    1) You won't.
    2) I won't.

:D
    edited October 2011
    csimon wrote:
    What PSU are you using?

I have a 750 watt Antec True Power.
    edited October 2011
    Which Quad/Hex core would you guys recommend to hold me over until Zambezi gets sorted? I would like the best overall overclocker on water that will not cost a boatload.
    Just hasing it around for now.

Should I start a whole new thread?

I like this one ...for the price. And at 95W it won't send me to the poor house by raising my power bill while folding.
  • edited October 2011
    Chris, I haven't been folding, but I heard that you can fool the BigWU client into letting it run on the AMD hex cores and that they can do the work on time too. So going by that, I would say to get a 1090T. Of course, I would also suggest that you personally check that out (about doing BigWU units on an AMD hex) before buying it over a quad. And last week NE had that same proc with a $20 MIR too, IIRC. If I were looking at building an AMD system right now, I would look real hard at a Thuban to tide me over until they get Piledriver out at least. I have a feeling you will see a nice difference between BD and PD, just like we saw between Phenom and Phenom 2. That will give both AMD and GloFo time to tweak designs and processes and give you a good running system too.

@Cliff, that is interesting about your 6100. I haven't seen too much posted about that proc over at OC Forums. But from what I've seen on the 8120/8150 procs, they get to be some hot sons of bitches once you get past 4.5 with them and some run hot even before that high an oc. The guy that reviewed the 8150 there (hokiealumnus), got his Zamby up to around 4.7 stable, but he was cooling with a pretty good loop instead of air and he said it was getting pretty toasty then too. He also threw a pot on it and got it to 7+ GHz too under LN2.

@thrax, I appreciate that man. It will be good to clear up the confusion on max core temps on BD.
    edited October 2011
    Thanks for your concern James. I've thought about the 1090T. I'm not ruling it out yet but I probably won't go that route either. I'm thinking I will save the extra money for now and not be so concerned about ppd (-smp wise). The only thing making it attactive to me at the moment is the $20 MIR but that still depends on whether it's available or not when the moment comes (probably next week). Also, there is a slight chance that the 6 cores could unlock on the 960T ...however it doesn't matter at this point ...I'd rather just hit 4Ghz on water and let it fold what it may at 95W.

At any rate, no matter what I put in the rig at this point it will have to suffice until next year if I am satisfied with anything that AMD will release. As much as I hate to say it ...I'm beginning to become disgruntled with the whole Bulldozer/Zambezi fiasco and walking away from the whole thing right now wouldn't take much coaxing.

I certainly won't fall for anymore of their BS hype over anything they try to produce in the future.

With that said ...what's the difference between Athlon II and Phenom II?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    csimon wrote:
    With that said ...what's the difference between Athlon II and Phenom II?
    Lack of an L3 cache.

Also notable: the Phenom II X4 840 is really an Athlon II as it lacks the L3 cache.
  • edited October 2011
    :D:D:D

DSC04117640x359.jpg
    edited October 2011
    dknt wrote:
    :D:D:D

DSC04117640x359.jpg

Oh rub-it-in whydon'tcha. Which one is it?
  • edited October 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Oh rub-it-in whydon'tcha. Which one is it?

fx-8120
    rest of the stuff gets here today. :cool2:
  • edited October 2011
    btw, we touched that f@h subject a few days back too.

basically, gromacs is hand coded for fadd/fmul/fmisc;
    until it's optimized for fma, i wouldnt expect BD's narrower fpu/int core to outperform k10.
    edited October 2011
    1) 95W parts will be available in January/February.
    2) 95W parts were not launched with other 8-cores because they wanted to launch with the fastest SKUs first.
    3) The giveaways aren't his department, so he couldn't say.

//EDIT: Also got my CHVF, so I can start overclocking early next week.
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    1) 95W parts will be available in January/February.
    2) 95W parts were not launched with other 8-cores because they wanted to launch with the fastest SKUs first.
    3) The giveaways aren't his department, so he couldn't say.

//EDIT: Also got my CHVF, so I can start overclocking early next week.

But I want 95W anything nao. :rarr:
    I thought both 8120 SKU's were the same.
    Zosma won't scale mem like Zambezi.
    Thanks for asking.
    edited October 2011
    Gosh, ME ME ME, WANT WANT WANT. ;)
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Gosh, ME ME ME, WANT WANT WANT. ;)

Ok ok ok ...I'll pay you for your engineering sample when you're done raping it and calling it names. I can't just leave this CHVF sitting around w/ no L337ness. :fold:

//EDIT: ...and to sweeten the deal when I win the "AMD FX Giveaway" it's yours (I entered everyday).