Zambezi build

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    (still waiting for FAH numbers ... that's about as multicore as you can get)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Weniger ist besser!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    FAH numbers will be coming in a follow-up article from Nick soon.
  • edited October 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Dew it and get back here and tell us about it please.

on air.:rockon::rockon::rockon:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    wait, are we still trying to find some way to prove the new AMD CPU is better than Intel?

AMD is "bang for buck"

Ivy Bridge is around the corner and it's "supposed" to be 20% faster than Sandy Bridge according to Intel

Komodo is around the corner as well ...Hehe. I know, I know, don't hold your breath this time.

My curiosity is peaked now with the upcoming 8120 95w part. There just insn't enough information out to make a rational decision at this time. Not even on the 8120 125W.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'm overclocking the FX-6100 now, I'm just in the initial tinkering phase, but I'm hitting 4.4 on air without even trying that hard. I'm only dumping 1.4 volts in it and core temps are holding under 50C on a Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler. I'm pretty confident I still have some room here. I'll keep at it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Pretty standard for that chip. Not enough to beat the 2600k, though.
    edited October 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Komodo is around the corner as well ...Hehe. I know, I know, don't hold your breath this time.

My curiosity is peaked now with the upcoming 8120 95w part. There just insn't enough information out to make a rational decision at this time. Not even on the 8120 125W.

I have a 95w FX-8100 that I'll be putting through its paces, soon.
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Pretty standard for that chip. Not enough to beat the 2600k, though.

Well, I paid $300 for the FX-6100 and a 990FX motherboard together. A 2600K lists for $315 alone. I'm not going to beat myself up over a couple of single threaded benchmarks, not when I saved around 40%.

What flexes a systems muscle? Two things really, gaming and video encoding. Actually video encoding is one of the places where bulldozer shines, but even there you are generally better of to be leveraging the power of the systems graphics card for that. It's about the whole platform, and the CPU is only a part of it.

Good for Intel, they can do one thing right, create a top of the line X86 CPU. The next Intel fan that wants to spout off online about how disappointing bulldozer is for us should have to spend at least as many words explaining why Larrabee was such a colossal failure.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    huh? AMD makes GPUs? I thought they bought another company to do that for them.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Well, I paid $300 for the FX-6100 and a 990FX motherboard together. A 2600K lists for $315 alone. I'm not going to beat myself up over a couple of single threaded benchmarks, not when I saved around 40%.

you can get a 2600k and Gigabyte Z68 UD3 for $350 ($280+$70) through Microcenter, so.

:respect:
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Looks like it is time to upgrade my aging Q6600 :D:D:D
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:

Let us know how it does on overclocks especially. Temps/power draw/leak should be better/lower. Man I'm starting to sound like Straight_John. :buck:
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Sonorous wrote:
    Looks like it is time to upgrade my aging Q6600 :D:D:D
    Either the i7-2600K or FX-8150 would be a big step up from a Q6600. I have both, and to be perfectly honest I can't see much of a real performance difference from either one. Both are stock clocked and have Noctua NH-D14 coolers (gonna OC when I have some free time...or article time).
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    This sums up the launch for me. Illustrates the performance.
    Actually this should read : That's rather poor folding stats from a chip that's priced to rival the 2600k, but gets the same ppd of it's own previous generation CPU with 2 less cores, clocked 4% higher!
    edited October 2011
    I'll admit, I'm having some remorse. I should have purchased the eight core damn it!
    edited October 2011
    When are the giveaway results going to be announced??? Man they drag-a$$ on everything these days.
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:

What board will you be testing it on? Ya know if you don't have one you can always send it to me and I can test it for ya. :wink:
    edited October 2011
    It'll be an Asus CHVF.
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    It'll be an Asus CHVF.

Wifey just called and said that UPS delivered mine. I'm looking forward to my build ...no matter what the haters are saying. :rarr:
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I have the MSI 990FXA-GD80 just waiting for a CPU.....
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    buy one then

edit:> :D
    edited October 2011
    Bios 9913 for your CHVF Thrax. In case you are interested.

FD8120WMGUSBX available only in Canada? Do we know anyone in Canada?
    edited October 2011
    Ya, have that build on hand already. Thanks. :)
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    What are the improvements?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    (still waiting for FAH numbers ... that's about as multicore as you can get)
    Results from users are starting to come in. SMP Folding performance, measured by points per day, appears to be about the same I7 Nehalem I920 or I7 Lynnfield 8XX series.

I'll be giving Zambezi a pass. I wish AMD well, but so far, Bulldozer has nothing that interests me.
    edited October 2011
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BpvNz2MiB-w&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Bios 9913 for your CHVF Thrax. In case you are interested.

FD8120WMGUSBX available only in Canada? Do we know anyone in Canada?

....possibly

local store (growing chain, generally very competitive pricing) just shows this http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX35891%28ME%29.aspx but all locations show 'preorder' under status
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Leonardo wrote:
    Results from users are starting to come in. SMP Folding performance, measured by points per day, appears to be about the same I7 Nehalem I920 or I7 Lynnfield 8XX series.

I'll be giving Zambezi a pass. I wish AMD well, but so far, Bulldozer has nothing that interests me.

That is what I was hearing as well, unfortunately. I guess we now look forward to Ivy Bridge. The good thing is that saves my wallet now so I can allocate funds to other, more appropriate needs.
    edited October 2011
    keto wrote:
    ....possibly

local store (growing chain, generally very competitive pricing) just shows this http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX35891%28ME%29.aspx but all locations show 'preorder' under status

Ah thanks Keto ...this is the original site I found it at. Now that you mention it ...this one says "Special Order". http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=4_64

I appreciate the thought. I would love to see a review of this chip before I commit to a purchase.