Zambezi build

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    How do I run my pump to bleed out the air before my system is setup? I've seen it done just never paid attention. Isn't there a single pair of contacts that need to be made on the PSU for this to happen? Also, what wire do I use?

Thanks
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    on the 24 pin bridge the green wire with any black wire. Paper clip.
    edited November 2011
    _k_ wrote:
    on the 24 pin bridge the green wire with any black wire. Paper clip.

Thanks. I had seen it once at school but wasn't sure if the paperclip was safe or not.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    edited November 2011
    dknt wrote:
    good choice! it's an awesome block! :bigggrin::bigggrin::bigggrin:

IMG_0900.jpg

Block was installed last night ...nice workmanship for an inexpensive block. I can't wait to see how it performs.

Thanks for the paperclip advice also. I'll be using it tonight. Just one stubborn bubble left to get out of the loop and I can start installing the mobo etc..
    edited November 2011
    BAD BIOS FLASH!!!! Any advice on how to recover from a bad bios flash w/ only support cd as backup? The screen is black for quite a while to goes only to a bios recovery screen and then nothing. I can't remember exactly what the screen says but it's something to the effect of inserting support cd and "reset". What exactly do they mean by reset? I restarted but I get the same prompt. Do they mean clear the cmos or what?

At any rate the manual mentions something about disconnecting the hdd's or something. I thought I'd wait and see what you guys had to say before doing anything at this point.

Any advice? Questions?

Edit:/ Here is the prompt screen I get ---

'Please put the file "C5F.ROM" into your HDD or a removable USB media device, and then reset your computer.
    You can also insert ASUS support CD to your CD-ROM and reset your computer.
    If you have done this, please wait a moment and dont shutdown system.'
    edited November 2011
    Got it ...cd/dvd wasn't recognized in port 0 so I had to move it to port 1 and reflash.
    All is well ...now I'm back in business.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Good! ...and there was much rejoicing. :)
    edited November 2011
    Leonardo wrote:
    Good! ...and there was much rejoicing. :)
    Thank you much Leo. I'm making progress on my overclock and folding. My goal is to fold 4ghz x 6cores @ 20ghz by the time I'm done. Hopefully this latest bump of the multi which puts me at 233.824x17 for a 3975mhz oc will run stable for the next 24hrs. This chip is loads of fun. :fold:

edit://successfully folded all night and turned in my first wu on this rig. :csimon:
    edited November 2011
    dknt wrote:
    6284736096_3680287a47_z.jpg
    DSC04122 by ᵿ, on Flickr

6284207775_b1262d77a6_z.jpg
    DSC04119 by ᵿ, on Flickr

Very nice looking build. How are you liking the biostar board?
  • edited November 2011
    biostar would've worked well if not for xfire.
    HD6950's need double slots, and the pci-e placement on biostar board is not workable.
    was limited to x16/x4 only. so swapped it out.

6344650817_ce582b9bea_z.jpg
    DSC04327 by ᵿ, on Flickr

so far so good!
    edited November 2011
    Cool deal!

Tonight I'm upping it to up to 228.8x17.5=4004. This is amazing to me that it's still doing all of this on 1.4v. When I put it under full folding load it ramps up to 1.44v. I'm just amazed by this. Anything higher than this will just be a super bonus AFAIC.
    edited November 2011
    I went for 235.75x17=4008 instead just to see if the controller could handle it. I think that it will but it's cutting it real close. If this works I'd like to settle at this cpu speed for 24/7 folding mainly because I would like to keep my fans in silent mode and let the waterblock and radiator do the hard part.

At any rate ...I'd like to investigate some alternate Crosshair V Formula bios settings. Right now I'm pretty much relying on the Digi+ VRM max settings but I would like to cut this back however I can to try and get temps down as much as possible. Any suggestions? Pics?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Any suggestions? Pics?

First we need to see your pics! :bigggrin:
    edited November 2011
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    First we need to see your pics! :bigggrin:
    Oh ye Old Goat!
    I will post pics as soon as my net connection picks up speed. No idea why I got this slow connection all of a sudden. Seems to be caused usually by heavy rainfall from the night before (which we had).
    This seems like a good chip ...I'm gettiing 4ghz at 1.44V cpu and about 1.25v on the cpu/nb. I'm still experimenting to get voltages as low as possible at this frequency. Temps so far are on the good/high end during f@h 24/7.
    edited November 2011
    What stress testing should I do. I'd like to finalize my voltages and clocks for 24/7. Any suggestions?

Edit\\ for startes I think I'll try this one ...http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    memtest 86+, prime95 torture test small and large, but really f@h probably covered it already.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    OCCT if you want something that puts more stress than f@h.
    edited November 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    memtest 86+, prime95 torture test small and large, but really f@h probably covered it already.

Is there a size to set or something in prime95? I can't remember that far back.
    edited November 2011
    _k_ wrote:

Oh yeah I remember the BIG RED stress machine OCCT. Thanks guys.

What about CPU benches? Right now all I have is CPU Wizard.
    edited November 2011
    The last time I tested I ran Prime 95, CPU burn, F@H in the background while playing a good game. If it could run without a problem before I got tired it passed! ;)
    edited November 2011
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    The last time I tested I ran Prime 95, CPU burn, F@H in the background while playing a good game. If it could run without a problem before I got tired it passed! ;)
    That's exactly what I did last night. I ran prime95 and didn't exit correctly so it was running in the background. I ran memtest for windows and OCCT at the same time too and things started to get a little warm. But the kicker was when I got bored and started the bible music. It really got hot then but she kept on keeping on. :rarr:

I will post my settings as soon as I get home at lunchtime.
    edited November 2011
    Pics coming soon ... :csimon:

Anyone know of a good Win7(64bit) F@h gadget to monitor % progress at minimum?

Ok as promised here are my current C5F bios settings and results for getting this 4ghz 1100T folding :fold: and stable:
    edited November 2011
    I would say you got it going pretty good!
    edited November 2011
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    I would say you got it going pretty good!
    If not I'm damn close Goat. My biggest issue lately has been the damn power saving defaults. I just figured out yesterday how to change the "balanced" (default) setting to "performance". Man did anyone write a Win7 (64 bit) performance tweak guide on this site? With the crew we have around here I know someone is bound to have done this ...and done a bang up job as usual I'm sure. I just need to search.

Other than that she folded all night w/o a hitch. Next will be to set up some good old gpu crunching.
    edited November 2011
    Now that I've determined that my video card is crap, and that I have finally found stable settings/voltages for my 1100T/C5F, I will try some more ram overclocking tonight. I think I should be good right about here. With the CPU set at 17x235.8=4009 this is putting me at an HT link of 1886.4 and a DRAM Frequency of 943.2. This barely scratches the surface of this ram but is pretty damn good for this controller I think. Let's see how she holds up through the night with F@h.

Man this rig really does feel zippier now ...I hope this works.

Edit:// Who likes boudin?
    edited November 2011
    _k_ wrote:

Believe it or not ...I was testing 2896 cpu/nb @ 1.275V and it ran OCCT fine for an hour. After about an hour cool down I started to run F@h and it crashed w/in 5 mins. Go figure! I backed down to my present 2673 @ 1.204V now and all is well. :thumbup
    edited November 2011
    My quest for 4ghz stable is now challenged by getting voltages & temps down to a minimum. I'll list my current settings (bios & cpu-z) and hopefully I can update each time I can drop a few settings successfully. Voltages & temps are not too bad as they are but I want to be ready for the heat of next summer. I wHere goes -

Extreme Tweaker
    core speed:_______3996 (bios)/4010 (cpu-z)
    cpu ration:________18
    bus/peg freq:______222 (bios)/222.75 (cpu-z)
    mem freq:_________ddr3-1776 (bios)/891 (cpu-z)
    cpu/nb freq:_______2660 (bios)/2673 (cpu-z)
    ht link speed:______2660 (bios)/2673 (cpu-z)

Digi+ VRM
    cpu llc:___________medium
    cpu/nb llc:________high
    cpu oc protect:____120%
    cpu/nb oc protect:_110%
    cpu pwm phase:___extreme
    vrm temp protect:__enabled
    cpu volt freq:______auto
    cpu pwm mode:____extreme

Manual Voltages
    cpu:______________1.46875 (bios)/1.416 (cpu-z @ 100% load)
    cpu/nb:___________1.23125 (bios)/1.224-1.244 (cpu-z @ 100% load)
    dram:_____________1.65 (bios)/1.654-1.660 (cpu-z @ 100% load)
    nb:_______________auto (bios)/1.105-1.111 (cpu-z @ 100% load)
    nb ht:_____________1.21875 (bios)/1.224 (cpu-z @ 100% load)

DRAM Timings
    CL:_______________7
    tRCD:_____________9
    tRP:______________8
    tRAS:_____________24
    CR:_______________1T

Temps
    cpu:______________57C (probe II-100% load)
    mb:_______________37C (probe II-100% load)

WARNING: Kids do not try this at home. :fold:
    001.JPG 321.6K
    003.JPG 324.8K
    edited November 2011
    Today I'll try something slightly different.

Extreme Tweaker
    core speed:_______3996 (bios)/4010 (cpu-z)
    cpu ration:________18
    bus/peg freq:______222 (bios)/222.75 (cpu-z)
    mem freq:_________ddr3-1776 (bios)/ddr3-1782 (cpu-z)
    cpu/nb freq:_______2886 (bios)/2896 (cpu-z)
    ht link speed:______1998 (bios)/2005 (cpu-z)

Digi+ VRM
    cpu llc:___________high
    cpu/nb llc:________high
    cpu oc protect:____120%
    cpu/nb oc protect:_110%
    cpu pwm phase:___extreme
    vrm temp protect:__enabled
    cpu volt freq:______auto
    cpu pwm mode:____extreme

Manual Voltages
    cpu:______________1.4625 (bios)/1.440-1.452 (cpu-z @ 100% load)
    cpu/nb:___________1.3 (bios)/1.296-1.310 (cpu-z @ 100% load)
    dram:_____________1.65 (bios)/1.654-1.660 (cpu-z @ 100% load)
    nb:_______________1.2125 (bios)/1.217-1.224 (cpu-z @ 100% load)
    nb ht:_____________1.225 (bios)/1.230 (cpu-z @ 100% load)

Temps
    cpu:______________56C (probe II-100% load)
    mb:_______________36C (probe II-100% load)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    edit: that was a lie.

I meant it's better to have lower frequency ram, tighter timings, and higher cpu-nb than higher ram frequency:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?56715-AMD-AM3-CPU-s-which-ram-speed-is-faster-and-which-CPU-NB-clock-is-best

(you can also see that increasing the HT speed doesn't really help)