Comments

• edited October 2011
    6284736096_3680287a47_z.jpg
    DSC04122 by ᵿ, on Flickr

6284207775_b1262d77a6_z.jpg
    DSC04119 by ᵿ, on Flickr
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    that RAM looks like it would serious mess with my Noctua....

scaled.php?tn=0&server=741&filename=yazje.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    that RAM looks like it would serious mess with my Noctua....

scaled.php?tn=0&server=741&filename=yazje.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

They make low profile heatspreaders for the same ram as the ridgebacks ...they also have another line called "radioactive" that has low profile spreaders. I bought the ridgebacks as well because of my watercooling setup clearance. I have a spare low profile set if I ever change my mind.
    After all I've read about ram scaling I now believe that high end ram cooling is overrated. In fact I don't even use them on my old opty system and that ram is overclocked.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Ridgebacks have just enough clearance if you raise the fans a fin or two on the heatsink. I haven't seen a problem.
  • edited October 2011
    it's two inches from the surface of the mobo to the top of the heatspreaders + 1/8" clearance. yes, memory heatsinks = totally for show, make it look more expensive than it really is! :bigggrin::bigggrin::bigggrin:
    edited October 2011
    muddocktor wrote:
    Chris, I haven't been folding, but I heard that you can fool the BigWU client into letting it run on the AMD hex cores and that they can do the work on time too. So going by that, I would say to get a 1090T. Of course, I would also suggest that you personally check that out (about doing BigWU units on an AMD hex) before buying it over a quad. And last week NE had that same proc with a $20 MIR too, IIRC. If I were looking at building an AMD system right now, I would look real hard at a Thuban to tide me over until they get Piledriver out at least. I have a feeling you will see a nice difference between BD and PD, just like we saw between Phenom and Phenom 2. That will give both AMD and GloFo time to tweak designs and processes and give you a good running system too.

@Cliff, that is interesting about your 6100. I haven't seen too much posted about that proc over at OC Forums. But from what I've seen on the 8120/8150 procs, they get to be some hot sons of bitches once you get past 4.5 with them and some run hot even before that high an oc. The guy that reviewed the 8150 there (hokiealumnus), got his Zamby up to around 4.7 stable, but he was cooling with a pretty good loop instead of air and he said it was getting pretty toasty then too. He also threw a pot on it and got it to 7+ GHz too under LN2.

@thrax, I appreciate that man. It will be good to clear up the confusion on max core temps on BD.

Phenom II X6 1100T & Phenom II X6 1090T are starting to appeal to me more at this point w/ their promo discounts.

I wonder if 1100T would clock any better than 1090T ...they're the same chip afterall.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I honestly think you will kick yourself in the ass later if you don't buy an eight core.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    csimon wrote:
    I wonder if 1100T would clock any better than 1090T ...they're the same chip afterall.

They're the same stepping, but there could always be some improvements made in the newer chip. I'd go for the 1100T.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I honestly think you will kick yourself in the ass later if you don't buy an eight core.
    Let me paraphrase: 'I honestly think you will kick yourself in the ass later if you don't buy a future revision eight core AMD processor or current generation Sandy Bridge.'

Please don't interpret my opinions as trolling. I cut my do-it-yourself computer building teeth exclusively on AMD processors (and really crappy Via chipsets), so I'm not anti-AMD. In fact, I have parts coming right now for a dual-socket Magny Cours build. With that said, some of you guys are just flat out determined to squeeze this Zambezi through a template, no matter what. If the goal is AMD at any cost, at any performance level, and at any frustration level, hey, that's your choice. If that's what your emotional equillibrium requires, who am I to argue? AMD's desktop processor future does not depend on your financial support.

OK, some practical advice, for what it's worth. For those of waiting for revisions to fix this or that problem, and if you already purchased an AM3+ motherboard, just get a tried and true 6-core 1090T or 1100T. Good performance, good value, no crossing of fingers.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2011

Is this context-specific to AMD, Folding, or both? I've never spend the bucks on anything above dual-core, and so far I haven't kicked myself in the ass, but I don't actively fold these days.
    edited October 2011
    Leonardo wrote:
    Let me paraphrase: 'I honestly think you will kick yourself in the ass later if you don't buy a future revision eight core AMD processor or current generation Sandy Bridge.'

Please don't interpret my opinions as trolling. I cut my do-it-yourself computer building teeth exclusively on AMD processors (and really crappy Via chipsets), so I'm not anti-AMD. In fact, I have parts coming right now for a dual-socket Magny Cours build. With that said, some of you guys are just flat out determined to squeeze this Zambezi through a template, no matter what. If the goal is AMD at any cost, at any performance level, and at any frustration level, hey, that's your choice. If that's what your emotional equillibrium requires, who am I to argue? AMD's desktop processor future does not depend on your financial support.

OK, some practical advice, for what it's worth. For those of waiting for revisions to fix this or that problem, and if you already purchased an AM3+ motherboard, just get a tried and true 6-core 1090T or 1100T. Good performance, good value, no crossing of fingers.

Leo you hit the nail on the head ...I already bought the AM3+ board.
    edited October 2011
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Is this context-specific to AMD, Folding, or both? I've never spend the bucks on anything above dual-core, and so far I haven't kicked myself in the ass, but I don't actively fold these days.

Yes Ghoos, for folding purposes 6 cores is better than 2 or 4.
    edited October 2011
    Is this context-specific to AMD, Folding, or both?
    Good questions, which I'll answer in two parts: 1) for the present - single-threaded or multi-threaded performance, I do not see a reason to prefer Zambezi, and 2)for the future - multi-threaded applications will become more mainstream, still no advantage for the current Zamebezi, at least not the current version.

Simply put, match your hardware with your current and near-term needs. Does Zambezi offer superior performance for any of it? Typical home uses for me (includes the wife) are general use, significant multi-tasking, and a niche application (SMP Folding). I find the current Bulldozer releases to not be superior for any of those needs. Core speed, IPC, demonstrated multi-threaded performance - which of those is most important for you? OK, so you don't need the top performance in any of those metrics. Well fine, but unless prices come down, Bulldozer doesn't even offer us the typical AMD performance/price ratio advantage! That would be the Sandy Bridge 2600 or 2500K, or the AMD 1095T, IMO. If your most important computer demands are for H264 decoding and a handful of select games, then the 81XX might be your optimal choice.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    csimon wrote:
    Leo you hit the nail on the head ...I already bought the AM3+ board.

FTFY :P
    Leonardo wrote:
    In fact, I have parts coming right now for a dual-socket Magny Cours build.

I've got the threads you need to make that an Ubuntu build, complete with command line copy-pasta. Do it big!
    edited October 2011
    CSimon, think about a 1095T - great price, very good performance, and it'll perform nearly as well as the 8120. No, I haven't owned one, but people all over different forums seem to be very positive about their Thuban 6-cores.

Tushon - PM inbound.
    edited October 2011
    Leonardo wrote:

How is buying the best multi-threaded performance available "crossing of fingers"?
  • edited October 2011
    im crossing my fingers my keyboard n mouse gets here overnight.
    rig is ready to rockn roll. then i realized i forgot to buy inputs.

doh!
    edited October 2011
    best multi-threaded performance available
    What metric or benchmark supports 'best'? If SMP Folding (a real world app) is the metric, then you are partly right - Zambezi is the best multi-threaded performer for an AMD desktop. Yes, in that application, it will outperform a 6-core Thuban. But, if Folding is a priority factor in a purchase and the corporation that manufactures your hardware doesn't matter to the user, it's another story. Zambezi is left in the dust by any Sandy Bridge 4Core/HT processor and barely keeps up with or even lags behind previous generation I7 Nehalems and Bloomfields.

Look, the reason I keep referring to Folding (SMP) is because it's one of the few real-world desktop applications that fully employs, simultaneously, all of the cores of a multi-core CPU. There are other applications we could use for comparison, but they are either for server environments or something I'm not familiar with.

I didn't want to make this thread about Folding. Additionally, I don't know how important Folding is for CSimon - I know he's not a Folding fanatic like me. :) If you've already got an AM3+ board and wish to keep it, and if Folding is a high priority, then a Zambezi is the logical choice. If Folding is not a priority for that AM3+, then I find the 1095T to have a great performance/cost advantage.
    edited October 2011
    Leonardo wrote:
    I didn't want to make this thread about Folding. Additionally, I don't know how important Folding is for CSimon - I know he's not a Folding fanatic like me. :) If you've already got an AM3+ board and wish to keep it, and if Folding is a high priority, then a Zambezi is the logical choice. If Folding is not a priority for that AM3+, then I find the 1095T to have a great performance/cost advantage.

Excuse me Leo, I am in the top 9 of team 93! :fold::csimon::fold:
    Yes I already do have the AM3+ ready to build.

With my new knowledge of current Zambezi I can say that I have lost my desire to run one overclocked 24/7 folding. It is simply far too inefficient for my needs. I can get far more progress with a video card in my spare slot if that's what I'm after (which I likely will) with the money I save from purchasing Thuban.

So Leo, are you referring to 1090T or 1075T? Of the two I prefer 1090T because the multiplier is unlocked. It is also unlocked on the 1100T and both typically overclock to 4GHZ and some.
    edited October 2011
    Sorry about mixing up Thuban model numbers. I personally have no experience with any of the Thuban 6-cores, but Folders and gamers alike, at a bunch of sites, seem to be very happy with their 1090Ts.
    edited October 2011
    Leonardo wrote:
    Sorry about mixing up Thuban model numbers. I personally have no experience with any of the Thuban 6-cores, but Folders and gamers alike, at a bunch of sites, seem to be very happy with their 1090Ts.
    The 1090T @ Newegg is actually discounted $10 total. There is a $5 instant discount and a $5 discount from promo code. I just checked my link above.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I have the 1090T, I'm happy with it.
    edited November 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    I have the 1090T, I'm happy with it.

Are you overclocking it 24/7? If so how high and what kind of voltage?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    3.8-4GHz is typical of 1090/1100Ts. I have one at work in my system now at 3.9. Didn't take too much effort to get it there, either. Gigabyte-890FX-UD5.
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    3.8-4GHz is typical of 1090/1100Ts. I have one at work in my system now at 3.9. Didn't take too much effort to get it there, either. Gigabyte-890FX-UD5.

I will be pulling the trigger on the 1100T/Enzotech SCW-Rev.(A) within the next few days/weeks thanks.

Have you started the FX-8110 overclocking venture? How's that coming along?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Overclocking starts Friday. :)
    edited November 2011
    I want a job where I can overclock my work system too..... :bawling:
  • edited November 2011
    csimon wrote:
    ////Enzotech SCW-Rev.(A) //////////

good choice! it's an awesome block! :bigggrin::bigggrin::bigggrin:

IMG_0900.jpg
    edited November 2011
    csimon wrote:
    I will be pulling the trigger on the 1100T/Enzotech SCW-Rev.(A) within the next few days/weeks thanks.

I did it. I couldn't let the $15 discount on the cpu go by and the waterblock was just back in stock. It seemed right and I feel good about it. If AMD revises FX-81** next year with a cool performer I won't have a big problem pulling the $175 hexacore to make room.
    edited November 2011
    Here is my wishlist of items I have purchased for this build. Later I will add a video card and a few other minor things like cabling & case fans etc.