Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    If you don't like MLP. Well. You're lose. You don't know what you're missing. The fandom is the best thing ever. I have only been a fan for 2 months. Never watched it before then... I was like many others.. But when I watched it, I fell in love with it. The community with its artwork, music videos, and everything else is amazing. Never before have I seen a community like this, unless you are counting a Star Trek or Star Wars fans. I am a 25 year old Brony.. I am also a Trekkie. I am also straight... Deal with it.

We've got our own MLP subforum mate, join up!
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    edited November 2011
    If you don't like MLP. Well. You're lose. You don't know what you're missing. The fandom is the best thing ever. I have only been a fan for 2 months. Never watched it before then... I was like many others.. But when I watched it, I fell in love with it. The community with its artwork, music videos, and everything else is amazing. Never before have I seen a community like this, unless you are counting a Star Trek or Star Wars fans. I am a 25 year old Brony.. I am also a Trekkie. I am also straight... Deal with it.

I agree with Ilriyas on this one, you should definitely join the pony subforum. It's actually a pretty good one (As in you won't find creepy junk).

But I'm also going to agree with Prime, only partially though. Most of the fanbase scares the life outta me but some of it is quite good.

So to Prime, check out some of the fans like "RainbowCrash88" and "ManeSixDev" (Both youtube channels of the makers and musical artists of the new fighting game).

And back to the guest: Check out some of the firefly fans, they are incredible communities to be a part of. Better than the Trekkies (No offense implied) and the Starwarsians but not as good as some of the Bronys and Pegi-sisters (I think that's right, correct me if I'm wrong).

Further more, (Still at the guest) Are you implying that we are not straight?
    <cite class="ic-username"></cite>
    edited November 2011
    Further more, (Still at the guest) Are you implying that we are not straight?

LOL I was sort of ignoring that part.
    edited November 2011
    Ilriyas wrote:
    LOL I was sort of ignoring that part.

I was trying to but I just couldn't any do it any longer. It bugs me to no end when people assume that we're all gay or that they're super special for being a straight brony.
    edited November 2011
    I was trying to but I just couldn't any do it any longer. It bugs me to no end when people assume that we're all gay or that they're super special for being a straight brony.

I never thought of being a 'straight' brony as anything special. Honestly I don't understand why people make the assumption in the first place simply because the title is My Little Pony. It's a damn good show and really anyone can enjoy it for a variety of reasons.
    edited November 2011
    Ilriyas wrote:
    I never thought of being a 'straight' brony as anything special. Honestly I don't understand why people make the assumption in the first place simply because the title is My Little Pony. It's a damn good show and really anyone can enjoy it for a variety of reasons.

EXACTLY! I don't see why it's such a big deal! And they say our community is frightening? Check out any other tv shows fandom, shit can get weird! (Was going to post a link but it isn't appropriate)

I'm posting this everywhere so yah. Here yah go: http://americancensorship.org/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I think it's just rabid "fandom" in general that scares people. Any fandom; trekkies, star wars, bronies, anime, you name it.

See, the problem with fandoms is that often, the people are so completely and narrowly focused on nothing BUT the fandom that they have no social skills or interests OUTSIDE of said fandom. It's one thing to be a well-rounded person with a lot of different hobbies and interests, but often people who are obsessively involved with a particular fandom ARE socially awkward in any situation that is out of context of their fandom.

I'm not saying that about anybody here; just an observation.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I see prime's point. Fandoms can be cool and all with all the user-created content and subcultures and all that trollaliciously delicious jazz. But when individuals get super-obsessed with a particular fandom that they lose sight of everything outside of the scope of the fandom... then it just gets plain creepy.

While it's definitely not the rule and there are some exceptions, I'm mostly talking about "that anime kid" who worships some anime girl or seriously thinks their a reincarnation of FFVII's Cloud or some shit. Or furries that only associate and hang out with other furries, eschewing "mundane" people to excuse their lack of social abilities. And don't get me started on mythical "I'm a dragon on the inside" otherkin.

Point is: exclusively obsessing over a single fandom of any kind is bad, mmkay. Fortunately, I don't think bronies do this. I'm sure some do, but it's a casual enough of a thing that I can't imagine the group at large to be full of "pony in spirit" or worshipers of Princess Celestia, the True Messiah or something equally bizarre.

...and now comes the part where someone proves me wrong...

...and I die a little (more) on the inside...
  • edited November 2011
    >I’ve never seen a group of people rise around something and create content to the extent that the My Little Pony fanbase does.

You've never seen Touhou, then.
    It's a series of bullet hell shooters make independently by one person alone, but you wouldn't believe that if you searched it on Youtube.
    edited November 2011
    Heh, my example was going to be a Trekky who went out of their way to learn Klingon and whatever other crazy languages exist in that show or possibly an LOTR fan who has taught themselves to speak Elven and wears a cloak.
    edited November 2011
    One word: Digimon
    Another word: Pokemon
    One more: Starwars
    Last one I promise: Star Gate
    Okay fine another one (seriously the last one) : ANIME (Any)

We're a relatively small fanbase all things considered.
    You're argument is invalid.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Their are people who honestly consider their religion to be Jedi. Just Saiyan.
    edited November 2011
    Canti wrote:
    Their are people who honestly consider their religion to be Jedi. Just Saiyan.

AHA! I see what you did there:D
  • edited November 2011
    What episode do you show people first to get them into the series?
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    What episode do you show people first to get them into the series?

I show people Sonic Rainboom. It's my favorite episode and the first one I saw.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    The tried and true first episodes that we've used are Sonic Rainboom, Bridle Gossip, and Swarm of the Century
    edited November 2011
    First episode I ever saw was Sonic Rainboom, its my favourite episode and led to Rainbow Dash being my favourite character.

Generally I start new people off on that.
  • edited November 2011
    Ah, thank you guys.
    edited November 2011
    So here's a strange story:

I went to Cherplunka's family's house for Thanksgiving because I couldn't make it home to Indiana. While there, Cherplunka's sister (Chainmaiden on League) has a few friends that come over. One friend had two little kids, both girls. I'm in the living room talking video games with Cherplunka and Dominique and I hear the MLP theme song in the other room. I start laughing, and mention I knew the bass line, there was MLP in the other room.

So like an hour or so later, I go to the restroom. When I come out, I hear "Sisterhooves Social." I walk into the room and watch for a few seconds with the kids. I ask them which pony is their favorite, and they tell me "Rarity." Whoa.

Walk back into the living room and sit down. Cherplunka says "So aren't you going to go in there and tell them how the episode ends? I was like "no, no. Just went in and asked them what their favorite pony was. They said Rarity, which is frigging weird."

Suddenly, the friends perked up. "Wait, did you say My Little Pony?" "...yes." "so you're a brony?" "Yup. Not afraid to say it. I'm secure in my masculinity." Cherplunka was like, "yeah, he wrote the thing that all the bronies reference. "true" I said, "I wrote the book! I wrote this ultimate reference piece, it was featured on Equestria Daily, and Sethisto told everyone to point people to this piece when asked about MLP."

The friend looked at me with a slightly shocked look on her face. "Oh my God, I read that article! You did that?"

Then we talked about best ponies. Cherplunka got pissed "I thought I could get away from pony talk out here!" "Hey, you started it! You brought it up!"

So weird. Deal with it.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Brilliant. Sooner or later she will succumb XD
    edited November 2011
    Well it's funny, because one of the guests said "We need to watch 10 episodes of My Little Pony. For every drink you have, Genevieve, we take off an episode"

Genevieve IMMEDIATELY slammed down the rest of her brandy.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Oh Beeb. Her resistance makes her all the more an alluring target. May the hunt continue.

Good story. A similar awesome thing happened to me on T-giving: my family went to my brother's girlfriend's family T-giving. After dinner, I went back to the kitchen to find a small group starting to play a Muchkin game. It delighted me. Nerd games at a family event? Win. Deal me in, guys.
    edited November 2011
    So Ottawa trip was awesome.

One of the highlights: Walking around the downtown core when I hear 'wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah' I recognized it from an MLP mashup vid and noticed a guy was playing it on his smart phone.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xwqRSFdSfus&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    So in passing I said 'that vid is awesome.' dude turned to me and said 'brohoof'

Well brohoof accepted, all in all awesome day.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Hahahahahahaha, awesome
  • edited November 2011
    <~~~~ 25 year old female, stumbled upon this article in an attempt to understand, through a hopefully intelligent article (thank you!) why all of her male friends have become obsessed with MLP.

Is now off to watch the show, convinced she will like it after reading information and commentary provided.

Knowledge is power. Thanks!
  • ghbutlerghbutler Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2011
    Ilriyas wrote:
    First episode I ever saw was Sonic Rainboom, its my favourite episode and led to Rainbow Dash being my favourite character.

Generally I start new people off on that.

Why can't you understand Dashie is a MAN XD

Inside jokes...OHHHH BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
  • edited November 2011
    As a fellow 25 year old female, trust me, you will love the show. =) And while the sonic rainboom is a wonderful episode, I like showing Winter Wrap Up as one of the first episodes to people. It gets stuck in their heads, and I'll start singing it and they'll involuntarily start singing it too. >D
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I've never much liked Sonic Rainboom because of the typical 80's style bullies and Rarity getting her ego cranked up so hard that she gets irksome. The Rainboom itself is -great-, and "Yaygate" is awesome, but eh. A lot of people like it despite those flaws, so to each his own.

These days, I can't honestly say one way or the other which episode is the -best- to show off first to people. It -really- depends on who your audience is.

Also, if Cherplunka is resisting this hard, she's merely in denial on her interest at this point.
    You may as well tell her she's going to break sooner or later, and she may as well make it sooner.
    edited November 2011
    All we need to do is get her to join one stream, just one.

Then she'll be one of us, one of us
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, she would TOTALLY watch the show. She's an animation nut, liked MLP as a kid, and such. She's seen a couple mashup videos and liked them, too.

But one night, during a stream, Cola DEMANDED that she join us. Her limitless stubbornness kicked in, and she refuses to watch out of spite of Cola's demand. Sigh.

Speaking of dat wiggle wiggle story, I was chillin in a club recently and that song came on. I laughed so hard that I almost fell over.