Introducing the new ICHQ

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    Without knowing financials, and without knowing debt…. IMHO you should have a plan for some form of credit to help you with the big stuff. You are going to have to go into debt for the repairs; out of pocket is just not going to cut it bro. I would consider new but don't go for broke, consider all options and from multiple sources.

You’re on the right path, but you all are going to have to pull on your big boy pants and cut out the extras. Home ownership is not easy, it’s an all or nothing situation.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Zuntar, I've been a homeowner since 1997, I'm not exactly a spring chicken in this game ;)
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    It's actually not that difficult to manage home improvements and repairs without credit.

We did our entire basement (about $3500) entirely with cash.

Took careful planning, but we managed to finish on time and within budget.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Have you gotten a modern furnace system quoted?
    From what I can see, the house isn't ducted, which would be a OMFGHUGE additional expense. Replacing the in-place hot water system (which could be used for both heating and hot tap water) would be much more economical than trying to retrofit the house for ducting.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    Im just thinking that a 120k btu furnace is about 2k new. Ducting would be a damn lot of work, but can be done. Ducting/forced air heating is something that a sensical amature can do. A boiler/hot water system requires a fair bit of expertise to repair or install.
    We're not ducting for forced air. That's not an option that's on the table right now. When we have a modern and efficient boiler, the radiant heat system will be awesome.
    Truth. My mom & stepdad went with baseboard hot water in their house up north. SO MUCH BETTER THAN FORCED AIR.

For one, the humidity difference is insane. They can keep their house at around 63-66 in the winter and its perfectly comfortable because the air isn't bone dry. For reference, this is about 30 miles north of Harbor Springs.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    I could not imagine even trying to duct a house as solid as that. Plaster walls are not your typical drywall. I would think the end price of trying to do forced air heat would be very expensive in a house that size. Better off leaving current system in place with the upgrades.

I definitely also agree with the humidity difference. This is the first winter I've lived somewhere with radiant heat, and my skin isn't dry at all. I notice a big difference at work versus at home. My face feels better, and I haven't even really used lotion at all, either. Also better for your plants and your pets, and breathing at night. And if you get any colds.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    I kinda love the radiators, I'm not gonna lie.

Waiting on more information about the state of the overall radiator system before I make a final decision and move on the boiler.
  • +1 for hot water heat being awesome. My parents also have baseboard water heat in their house. Way less expensive to run (from what they've told me) and definitely more comfortable.
    It's actually not that difficult to manage home improvements and repairs without credit.

We did our entire basement (about $3500) entirely with cash.

Took careful planning, but we managed to finish on time and within budget.
    True, but they "have a long way to go and short time to get there"

@primesuspect 10-4 Bro, just worry about you guys.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

True, but they "have a long way to go and short time to get there"

@primesuspect 10-4 Bro, just worry about you guys.
    We're actually content to do far less than most would to move in. For instance, I don't expect us to have painted walls, a ceiling in the kitchen, or several other things like that when we move in. The missing-critical components are surprisingly few, all things considered.
    WE HAVE POWER.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2012

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    WE HAVE POWER.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    We're actually content to do far less than most would to move in. For instance, I don't expect us to have painted walls, a ceiling in the kitchen, or several other things like that when we move in. The missing-critical components are surprisingly few, all things considered.
    Pretty sure that inspector jerk will not give you permission to move in until the kitchen ceiling has wallboard up.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    Just use a tarp, and then when he asks you about it say, "ITSA TARP!"
    Pretty sure that inspector jerk will not give you permission to move in until the kitchen ceiling has wallboard up.

Not really a concern. We'll be squatting in our own house, no biggie.

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    I would absolutely be making sure that any vendor for the boiler/HWH can offer some kind of financing or payment plan. That way you don't overextend yourself right off the bat, even if that means slightly higher overall costs from financing. This is a situation where using credit is totally legitimate, since a more expensive system up front will help offset the loan costs with reduced monthly usage prices. In fact, it might actually work out to be a money-positive move if the savings monthly are greater than what you pay to service the debt.

Since that means more money for other, non-fanciable expenses, it's worth pursuing.
    Have you tested any of the paint for lead? I suggest that before you start sanding in the areas you want to sand.
    It doesn't take much to elevate the amount of lead in your blood.
    I'm sure there's lead in much of the paint.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    I'm sure there's lead in muchall of the paint.
    FTFY.
    edited February 2012
    Please be careful then, I wouldn't want to see you guys sick. Lead paint when sanded is nothing to take lightly, probably worse than asbestos to be honest. It doesn't take years of inhalation to affect you.
    Loving seeing the coverage this is getting. I think it's something both Icrontic and Detroit will benefit greatly from.
  • Detroit's newest tech company? No other new tech companies since 2003?
    They weren't technically in Detroit before.