Expo Icrontic 2012

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Srsly, have the parents talk to Brian about it. It works every time because it's real talk™
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Tell everyone you know to stop viewing RoboCop as a documentary.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    Last time I went to D my mom wanted me to bring my shotgun because she heard abandoned pitbulls had formed packs and were roaming the streets killing people.

Detroit, its got feral dog gangs.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Welcome to the jungle.
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian
    That...that may be the best rumor I've ever heard.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    OK, kids, stop bragging to your friends that you're going to Detroit.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    Tell everyone you know to stop viewing RoboCop as a documentary.
    You mean it's not? :p
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    I feel like living 10 min from Detroit gives me fake cred at conferences and out-of-state meetups.

Like, yeah, we had to bribe our way past the block's gang warlord, so we could pick up some Slows To Go. Oh, and there was that time I fought off roving packs of pitbulls with my shotty as my girl and I made our way to have tasty fru-fru cocktails at Atlas Global Bistro.

Oh, and this happened, on the way home:
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    I don't think they see the "You'll go to Detroit and get physically injured" fallacy. I think they are a little anxious as any parents would be when their child goes off on his own into, what they know as, the unknown. That or they're trying to mess with me. Could be either.

I see it as a valuable learning experience that will be lots of fun.

It's kinda funny considering that I've been across the pond for almost 3 weeks without any family or friends before. And we only got threatened twice and in the suburbs.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    11 most dangerous cities in the US in 2011 according to USNews.com

1. St. Louis
    2. Atlanta
    3. Birmingham Alabama (tie)
    3. Orlando (tie)
    5. Detroit
    6. Memphis
    7. Miami
    8. Baltimore
    9. Kansas City, Missouri
    10. Minneapolis (tie)
    10. Cleveland (tie)

Seriously the only one I would be worried about is St. Louis and even then only the East side. Don't ever go there unless you're really curious to see what getting mugged is like.

Tell your parents to stop being afraid of how Detroit is depicted in a movie from the 1980s.
  • SweetDragonSweetDragon Casselberry, FL Member
    Once again @dogsoldier graces us with a tremendous logo. So many lulz

I love the logo!!!!! Totally Awesome!!!

Dad and Bro are going for sure and maybe I will even get to go this year. We are staying at.....

LA QUINTA INN DETROIT WARREN TECH CENTER
    30900 VAN DYKE AVENUE
    WARREN, MI 48093
    586-574-0550

They have a weekly rate if you are staying for the whole thing which is almost half price. Plus they have rooms with two double beds that hold 4 people if anyone wants to share their room/bed to save money. Total stay from 7/19 to 7/26 is only $360.29. Thats about $90.00 a person for the week.

In case anyone else is wondering if their budget will allow.....
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    East St. Louis is a pretty scary place.
    You've seen the map right? I'm sure it'll be a synch to smuggle you over the river, human trafficking is ezpz.
    ^5 Love it...giggling at the thoughts...
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Still up for being thrown into a suitcase if rents word is no btw.
    Gar, I really want to go, you're only an hour or so away... But I have no laptop (not lugging my desktop around) and it'd be hard for me to get transportation, since I walk practically everywhere.

This is awesome, and I hope you guys have fun! but this also sucks on a personal note, as I will be unable to attend.
    I agree with Bobbydigi....Someone is bound to be willing to drive you...Also if I do not get a job by then I am planning to go but I don't game so I will just be there to meet people in person, hang out and share some awesome food. I have had expo envie ever since my dad and little bro went the 1st time years ago. So excited to be divorced and "allowed" to go lol

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    I'm Polish, not Russian.

I still cannot fathom the "You'll go to Detroit and get physically injured" fallacy. In my ENTIRE 34 YEARS OF LIFE HERE, amongst the THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE I PERSONALLY KNOW and the probably TENS OF THOUSANDS of people I know through those connections, I don't know a SINGLE PERSON that has been seriously injured as a result of a personal attack, robbery, mugging, carjacking, or otherwise. I know ONE guy who got into a fight at a bar in Detroit, it was 2:30 in the morning and they were all drunk.

ONE. THIRTY FOUR YEARS.

Fucking hell. It drives me crazy.

Tell your parents that we've been doing this for nine years and nobody has gotten killed, raped, shot, or carjacked yet.

Also: it's not in Detroit.
    Actually, the issue that I ran into was less that it was in Detroit, and more that it's meeting a bunch of people from the internet. Girls are raised to believe that if you do that, you will raped and cut up into tiny pieces. I've been told by many people-- not just my parents-- that I am simply "lucky" that you guys didn't do that to me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    but in downtown Detroit there are little guys there who could fuck you up in seconds
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    but in downtown Detroit there are little guys there who could fuck you up in seconds
    Their names are Kyle and Perry.

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    I'm Polish, not Russian.

I still cannot fathom the "You'll go to Detroit and get physically injured" fallacy. In my ENTIRE 34 YEARS OF LIFE HERE, amongst the THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE I PERSONALLY KNOW and the probably TENS OF THOUSANDS of people I know through those connections, I don't know a SINGLE PERSON that has been seriously injured as a result of a personal attack, robbery, mugging, carjacking, or otherwise. I know ONE guy who got into a fight at a bar in Detroit, it was 2:30 in the morning and they were all drunk.

ONE. THIRTY FOUR YEARS.

Fucking hell. It drives me crazy.

Tell your parents that we've been doing this for nine years and nobody has gotten killed, raped, shot, or carjacked yet.

Also: it's not in Detroit.
    Actually, the issue that I ran into was less that it was in Detroit, and more that it's meeting a bunch of people from the internet. Girls are raised to believe that if you do that, you will raped and cut up into tiny pieces. I've been told by many people-- not just my parents-- that I am simply "lucky" that you guys didn't do that to me.
    I went to my first EPIC as a 19 year old guy and my parents still thought I'd be raped.

Their names are Kyle and Perry.

OH GOD MY SIDES
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    C'mon now... they wouldn't have the attention span to cut someone up into tiny pieces.

I kid, I kid. They totally would.
    edited April 2012
    Fatcat desperately trying to fend one of them off with an empty water jug in 2008.

God help you if they both come at you at the same time.

Rest in peace Greg.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Your link is borked
    It's Kyle attacking Greg with a wiffle bat. Shows up fine for me. I don't know what's wrong with it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Works fine
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Someone did get duct tapped to a pole.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Someone did get duct tapped to a pole.
    And for his own good.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    It's Kyle attacking Greg with a wiffle bat. Shows up fine for me. I don't know what's wrong with it.
    actually kyle got ninja kicked while shwaip was water jugged....

kyle did block the kick with bat, shwaip still hasn't recovered
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Cola got raped... his mouth was raped by a wasabi ball. ;D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    He was asking for it.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    He was just preparing for his then-unknown military career