Thoughts of Diablo 3?

Comments

• Hot mess
    Eh, I'll agree with you on some things, that certain people just don't like how devs design their games ideas. But a lot of your points such as the games in its infancy, its new, or just the implications that it should be given some slack,

Fuck that.

I hate when companies use this excuse, especially since in Blizzards case they're pretty competent at play testing their shit. I don't want a broken or buggy game. I'll wait the extra time needed for you to produce something of quality or at least polished. I'm not some child that needs to be spoonfed canned yams de la bioware. I'll wait an hour at the restaurant before the desert comes out, because i know they're putting time and care into their product... mostly.

Maybe its the fact they marketed this more as an MMO, since its pretty common for bugs n shit to occur in those types, not stand alone RPGs. I'd be pissed if I couldn't play Deus Ex because it crashed every 10 minutes with an Error 37. But I'd be ok with them delaying human revolution for a year to test it, improve it, and make it better.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

Eh, I'll agree with you on some things, that certain people just don't like how devs design their games ideas. But a lot of your points such as the games in its infancy, its new, or just the implications that it should be given some slack,

Fuck that.
    Except it is impossible for them to playtest every scenario. Just look at how Wizards are working out right now in Inferno. No +vit is helping people destroy Inferno. Balance issues will always exist and will continue to be corrected. There is absolutely no way for them to perfect this balancing act with a multiplayer component (and that is what it is at its heart, and what Diablo 2 eventually became, multiplayer games) is insane. You didn't buy Skyrim or DE:HR or anything else. You bought a game with a serious online component.

Also, If you think any company can scale their login demands to meet the influx that happened on release and shortly there after (I had minimal login issues at 6:30am after the 3am release) you're kidding yourself. Its a cost benefit scenario and one I think they handled well enough. I'd imagine the first expansion pack will work out much, much better than this release did.

• So @MiracleManS youre saying... they didn't playtest the multiplayer component of their game? That they just blatantly ignored the imbalances and shipped it, or they didn't test it? I can accept Diablo a multiplayer game, LAN parties are fun as hell, but it does fail to stand up in single player, why would they not have contingency plans for these sorts of things? If multiplayer is your focus, why are there day 1 issues with the servers? What the hell was the point of the beta if your game is going to fall apart anyway?

This guy makes some points. Surprised Blizzard Overlords didn't ban him yet
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    It's cool because Blizzard literally forced him to buy and play the game, so they should definitely make those changes.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    It's cool because Blizzard literally forced him to buy and play the game, so they should definitely make those changes.
    also blizzard doesn't have a relatively liberal 30 day return policy that he could take advantage of, wait a few weeks and see how the game is then.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I do agree with the point that there's no point in leveling up more than on character per class.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I like how there were so many people who agreed with his complaints and commented on them that he had to bump his own thread to because of how many of them agreed.

Also @Famicon, that's cool that you're willing to wait extra time to receive a quality product but here's the problem. The vast majority of the population are impatient as fuck and feel entitled to getting everything they want immediately. If they had postponed the game they would have had just as much outrage as they're getting now if not more. As far as the account hacks go I'm actually surprised it took them this long to find a way to do it.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    From some sources (friends in the industry), there was a MAJOR issue at the US Auth Server location for Diablo 3/Battle.net. The kind of issue that causes flames and water saturation. That resulted in some of the issues experienced on launch day as they struggled to bring up additional servers in another location that hadn't been tested yet. Coupled with the incredible demand for the game, well, things shit balled pretty quick.

As to the other issues (mainly the bitching, moaning and sense of entitlement) some of y'all have with this game, I have a suggestion: find another game if you don't like this one.

I would write more, but OT in the Kings game just started. GO KINGS!
    The issue in the previous post wasn't all that serious, but having to cut power to all the servers in that location, replace the damaged hardware, inspect everything to make sure of no other damaged units/wiring, then bring the servers back online, it takes a while.

This doesn't take them off the hook, having other servers ready to go in the event of an emergency is something that should have been set up. As to the account theft issues: GODDAMNITSOMUCH. This is why I stopped playing WoW; account got taken too many times, even with all the security measures available. I expected it with Diablo 3, any time money can be made, stuff like that will happen. This makes me really worry about tying any accounts to money auction house; this would be a perfect avenue for electronic funds theft and even identity theft.

But the loot, I can not stop gathering it! And I love the chaos and carnage a dual melee barbarian can cause.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    You can pretty completely stop account theft by signing up for a free (using your phone) authenticator but be aware that will be required for any battle.net game and general account management. A small step to ensure you don't lose all those hours seems reasonable to me.

Also, @shwaip already said this :)
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I am disappointed in the game, but not exactly sorry I bought it. I am waiting for the first 2-3 months of patches to get to that point.
    You can pretty completely stop account theft by signing up for a free (using your phone) authenticator but be aware that will be required for any battle.net game and general account management. A small step to ensure you don't lose all those hours seems reasonable to me.

Also, @shwaip already said this :)
    You can also set it so you only have to re-auth once a week (iirc) on every computer you use. This setting is somewhere in your b.net account and cuts down on the hassle pretty well.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Two factor authentication on Battle.net requires a third-party plugin? Huh?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    No, it requires a keyfob or an app on the smartphone.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Oh for some reason when I read the part about the app, I automatically assumed it was third party. Oops.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    The Android App is super easy, and I don't really see the point if you don't have it set to authenticate every log-in. It takes a lot less than a week to clear out your character of all its goodies.
    The Android App is super easy, and I don't really see the point if you don't have it set to authenticate every log-in. It takes a lot less than a week to clear out your character of all its goodies.
    You have to auth every week or every time you log in from a new computer/ip/whatever.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Added authenticator. Didn't know it was an option.

Loving the game so far. Click, Explode, Profit.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    You have to auth every week or every time you log in from a new computer/ip/whatever.
    Oh... Well that makes more sense. The description on the checkbox doesn't make that clear.

also if you don't have a smartphone, you can try this windows program:

http://code.google.com/p/winbma/
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    I've been enjoying it. Interesting story, a lot of replay value, and pvp looks like it will be awesome. I dont see what everyone is bitching about.
    I've been enjoying it. Interesting story, a lot of replay value, and pvp looks like it will be awesome. I dont see what everyone is bitching about.
    Oh, you know why they are bitching, its the same reason people bitched about Mass Effect 3: an outrageous sense of entitlement for something they didn't create.
    Story was decent. The way in which the story was presented and the way the villains acted was dumb.
  • FearmyblinkFearmyblink California Icrontian
    Fatcat said this earlier and it happened to me as well, but i still don't understand why i wiped to Belial (2 man normal) like 4-5 times and one shot every other final boss.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I still don't understand why i wiped to Belial (2 man normal) like 4-5 times and one shot every other final boss.
    Because "Belial" wouldn't have sold as many copies as "Diablo 3".

edited May 2012
    With my wizard I only had problems with the last boss (died once). It really depends on how much gold you spend on the auction house to bling out your character.

Other characters have had a more difficult time because I haven't been getting any items from the AH
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    So, to clear up a slight bit of misinformation about the recent account hackings. An authenticator would not have protected you from the most recent bit of shenanigans. Hackers were able to log into a game, steal the session ID of another player and make the game think they were that other player, connecting as that player and booting him simultaneously. This bypasses authenticators, passwords and even login ids.

Food for thought.
    So, to clear up a slight bit of misinformation about the recent account hackings. An authenticator would not have protected you from the most recent bit of shenanigans. Hackers were able to log into a game, steal the session ID of another player and make the game think they were that other player, connecting as that player and booting him simultaneously. This bypasses authenticators, passwords and even login ids.

Food for thought.
    except afaik blizz says no one got hacked that way.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Almost done with Act III normal, and the only thing that I hope is added is the ability to switch between 2 "specs" in a reasonable amount of time while moving. I would love to be able to switch between my aoe kiting spec and my single target burn spec w/o having to click into each one and pic my rune.