Thoughts of Diablo 3?

Comments

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    I'm mid-way through act III and one issue I've run into is a lot of rubberbanding while playing. Its not constant, but it's frequent enough to become annoying and become disruptive. I've died a number of times because my game freezes up whenever there are a ton of enemies. I wish blizzard could at least give us a way to check ping on the servers we play on.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Your ping is the little green/yellow/red bar in the lower right of your UI.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Your ping is the little green/yellow/red bar in the lower right of your UI.
    and you can hover to see the exact ping number.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    I've also had some sporadic pings lately. Makes the game unplayable at times.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Ping stuff
    Blizzard has stated that ping numbers aren't traditional ping. It's actually the round trip calculation of an action from client to server, being processed, and the response getting back. That's why 200+/- ms pings aren't terribad awful.

Reference Link
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    Ping stuff
    Blizzard has stated that ping numbers aren't traditional ping. It's actually the round trip calculation of an action from client to server, being processed, and the response getting back. That's why 200+/- ms pings aren't terribad awful.

Reference Link
    What?! Isn't that exactly what ping does to begin with? You send a data packet the server writes you back and let's you know it was received. It is a measure of the full round trip from when you send the packet to when you receive the confirmation. Syn Ack. I think that rep is outright bsing. The marketing people/QA at Blizzard would not approve of a "special" ping that made it seem to users their performance was degraded compared to other games.

Sounds like their ping definition is (time PC->server) + (time to process a possibly complex action) + (time server->pc). Rather than just the 'standard' ping of (time PC->server) + (minimal processing) + (time server-> pc).
    So they are constantly having all users at all times use extra cpu on their servers while making it seem to any regular online gamer who doesn't know this that the ping is horrible?

I'm not saying it's impossible, I just personally don't believe it.
    edited May 2012
    So they are constantly having all users at all times use extra cpu on their servers while making it seem to any regular online gamer who doesn't know this that the ping is horrible?

I'm not saying it's impossible, I just personally don't believe it.
    I'm saying that the (action) in (time to process a possibly complex action) is something that they'd be doing anyway. For example, processing the most recent attack on a mob to get that phatty lewt. So, rather than giving the user a useless metric of only round trip data transmission of a 32 byte packet (ala cmd->ping), they're giving you a useful metric.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    The way I'm reading it, instead of adding separate ping requests to the functionality of the software, it seems that they've chosen to just measure the actual latency of operations/requests that are passing from the client to the server and back, thus the rep stating that it measures the actual processing time by the server.

//edit: what shwaip said.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    offline mode

get on that Blizzard
    Oh got it, Yes to @Ghoosdum and @shwaip that would make sense. You guys are smart.

I had no idea everything I was doing in the game actually relied on a response from the server. That really makes me wonder what exactly the servers role is. Do they decide how much damage is done when I hit monsters? Do they decide how much loot I get? Is that so they can tweak the game without distributing patches?

I just don't get it =\ (noobtard). More relevant to all of this, I guess, is that I rarely notice lag in the game so I guess I'm lucky.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Yes, that's it. That's how they do hotfixes that change abilities, alter loot tables, etc. without distributing client patches.
    Yes, that's it. That's how they do hotfixes that change abilities, alter loot tables, etc. without distributing client patches.
    Which might not seem like much to some, but imagine every patch cycle (every Tuesday) having to download a patch file and apply it. I'd be most are in the Several hundred meg range.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    I am getting into it now, I struggled finding the right combo of skills for my demon hunter but I think Ive got it. Im lvl 20 just killed Magdah and am really enjoying it.
    I am getting into it now, I struggled finding the right combo of skills for my demon hunter but I think Ive got it. Im lvl 20 just killed Magdah and am really enjoying it.
    hatred regen + rapid fire. all you need :)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    yep thats where I am
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    You need to look into Elemental Arrow. You'll never go back to rapid fire.
    You need to look into Elemental Arrow. You'll never go back to rapid fire.
    which rune?
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    Sadly, the additional authentication seems to be a necessity (i.e.- standard account security sucks). As of last night, my account was to the list of victims; logged out forcibly. I immediately logged back in, was in for about 2 minutes and was kicked again, but this time, the password was changed...immediately recovered account through battle.net and added mobile auth, and logged back in (< 5min), lost all stash, gold, and my current character's items (only lvl 14 DH, so no big deal), but I guess they didn't have time to switch and get the others, because my other characters seemed to be intact (22 monk, 18 wiz, 17 witchdoctor, 28 (HC) wiz).
    Honestly, the only things I care to recover are the essences, teeth, and gold, but depending on how far back the rollback has to occur, and if it is across both normal and hardcore... at the beginning of last night, I beat Belial with my hardcore wizard. I'd rather not have to risk that again if I don't have to.

What weirds me out is; why didn't they completely take over my account instead of just resetting my password?
    Five minutes seems like more than enough time to have completely screwed me over...but I won't complain.
    It just leaves me wondering how in the world they acquired the info for all of the accounts they are stealing from; namely, my own.
    Let me know if you want crafting stuff from not-hc.

If you get a rollback, it'll do the entire account
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    I imagine the roll back is pretty fine-grained. My wow account was "hacked" once and they rolled it back to immediately prior to the hostile actions. Was the belial beating before or after the theft actions and your subsequent adding of mobile auth?

EDIT: I only had beta experience and rollbacks in WoW may be much more effective than Diablo as noted below
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Sharky, I had to go through a rollback recently and the rollback point is pretty hit or miss. It ended up taking me about 3 days (and a phone call) to get it done. Meanwhile the rollback point ended up still losing me ~12 hours of game play (lvl 30 back to lvl 15) and 100k gold or so.

Looking back on it I should have just put the authenticator on the account and accepted my losses. Getting the items back will be much faster than waiting for the restore. I don't know that I could recommend the restore for anyone but those who have hit 60 and have a considerable amount of end game gold and items on their account.
    TiberiusLazarus
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I was given a guest pass. I have no idea what I am doing. Will probably start it downloading and installing tonight after league.

-Digi
    just keep clicking. always keep clicking
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    It's good to know that others know that feel. Thanks for the info, too - seems like i'll be cutting my losses unless I hear promising news from Blizzard - I beat Belial 4 hours or so before the intrusion. My character's new acquaintance "咕咚" should thank me for the philanthropy. Anyone know some good insults I can throw in Sdfsf's direction? :P image
    ...you'd think reversing the latest transactions and subsequently banning accounts would be the thing to do here, but I'm sure there's some kind of complication.
    edited May 2012
    Anyone around 35? Im on nightmare act 1 about citadel 4th floor. Getting bored on single player. I'll be on tonight after running, around 7.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I am up to level 59 now, Act 3 Hell. It gets pretty dang hard, harder even if you are in a multiplayer game with someone that hasn't been keeping up with gear. I actually have an easier time just soloing everything. If anyone is interested in running through some ponies on Nightmare/Hell I wouldn't mind grouping up. No idea what my character code is though, I will post it tonight when I look it up.
    Jimmeh, Eli and myself just beat Hell Diablo. It was fun. Unfortunately Cannon had left just before.
    39 Just started Act II Nightmare. Finally used the AH to upgrade some gear. Got a new weapon with pretty much double the Dmg I was using, everything melts.