Any watch nerds on Icrontic?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    A mechanical challenger has appeared! Presumably an ETA 6497 Ébauche assembled in the US.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    uggo face and surprisingly low bph. But I like the cut of their jib. Hope future models have a less intrusive logo.

BTdubs, did anyone see the white faced HMT pilot project watch on WUS? It's a hottie for under $60.

Not my cup of tea, but I don't exactly mind it, either.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    This is just astonishingly cool:

UPSLynx
    I love how the dude has a loupe coming out of his forehead like some fucking steampunk rhino, and he's just all like "what? I make $200,000 watches, jog on."
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    So, why are ... noisy? ... watches a thing? What is the desired effect from having that on your arm?
    edited July 2013
    I didn't watch the whole video, but what you're looking at is a "repeater." It's a mechanical watch with something of an alarm function that will sound the time at the touch of a button. Repeaters were originally conceived to aid the visually impaired, and to make the watch useful in pre-electricity days when light wasn't something you could have at virtually any time.

A repeater is somewhat complicated to produce, and therefore a testament to the watchmaker's ability. More than that, however, only a few watchmakers left in the world have the technical and intellectual property to produce a movement that includes repeater functionality, so it's also valued for rarity amongst collectors. Most have obviously moved on to bioluminescent powders (e.g. superluminova), backlighting, or come to rely on the ubiquity of electric light.
    BuddyJBobbyDigiUPSLynxmidga
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    Thank you! I don't know if I missed them explaining that or if they did not, but that makes sense now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeater_(horology) for the lazy who want to learn more.

@Lincoln, bug report: _( breaks links when left to its own devices.
    Tianjin Sea-Gull joins the ranks of manufacturers capable of producing a triple-axis tourbillon:

BuddyJUPSLynxmidga
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Apologies if this has been posted before, as this thread is far too long to read back through, but:

TAKE ALL MY MONEY

http://woodworkessence.com/?p=1862

WOOD. WATCHES.

ardichoke
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Fuck I want one of those SO BAD. I wonder if he would take a promise of my firstborn as payment?
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

My watch
    UPSLynxprimesuspect
  • Adding this video for Android app WildSpecta from @thrax 's facebook so I can find it later:

Adding one of my watches, which regulated out to a spectacular +1s/d:

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2013

Apologies if this has been posted before, as this thread is far too long to read back through, but:

TAKE ALL MY MONEY

http://woodworkessence.com/?p=1862

WOOD. WATCHES.

My watchmaker grandfather, in the endless time and boredom of retirement, decided to hand-build an entirely wooden grandfather clock. He never got around to building a case and body for the clock, but the dial is complete and the clock's movement is completely functional. Every last bit of it is wood with the exception of the drive weights (metal, obviously) and the string used to suspend it.

In his declining health, he can now no longer wind or operate the clock, and it now lays boxed up in his garage, but it will always be to me his greatest achievement and a true display of his skill as a watchmaker, even in his old age.
    primesuspectBobbyDigiBasilmidga
    If you've thought about trying an automatic watch but been a bit leery of buying from some eBay vendor, woot has some automatic Timex for sale today. They should take a lickin' and keep on tickin'

http://accessories.woot.com/plus/timex-watches-3

Timex, brought to you by Liaoning Watch Factory. ;)
  • Dear Hong Kong Post,

Fuck you. I want my watch.

Sincerely, Me.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Timex, brought to you by Liaoning Watch Factory. ;)

I had a laugh about this very thing over the weekend. Happened by a jewelry store and spun through the watch section. Almost every single mechanical watch there was quickly identifiable as having a Chinese movement. Hand spacing and dial placement, as well as "sweep" hands for those that had been looked at recently.
    For those interested, the planning for the 2014 Chinese Mechanical Project Watch is underway over on WatchUSeek. Lots of cool ideas being tossed around. If you've ever wanted to take part in the design process for a watch, now is the time to get involved.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    weekenders for 15 bucks on woot

http://www.woot.com/plus/timex-weekenders
    primesuspectZanthianBuddyJmidga
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    The Kickstarter project linked earlier completed funding, by the way - shipments hope to be in progress starting in (probably late) September.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Got in on that Woot sale for some cheap-ass watches to wear when there's risk of damage or loss. Thanks for the link @GnomeWizardd

ThraxGarg
    Weekenders are always a great buy. +rep midga!
    midga
    What are Weekenders?
    Those Timexes.
    midga
    Right, okay. I only asked because the packaging and watch don't say Weekender on them anywhere, so I thought it might be a more general term.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Not sure if watch. Do want.

-Digi
    CBmidga