Any watch nerds on Icrontic?

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    I saw that! I wanted to see it on a hand before I drew my conclusions
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Concept art. Makes the rounds on Reddit every 5 months.
    midga
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Pretty cool concept, but has some practicality issues.

If the active time is always lit, that would drain the battery pretty quickly. We don't think of watches as something that needs to be charged constantly like a phone.

The dots running around the 'bottom' ring seem like they would signify seconds. There's no way to tell what part of the minute you're within.

If the hour and minute indicators do not move independently and with the time (which would probably feel really weird, anyway), then you would have trouble telling both the minute and hour at any given time if they're lit up on opposite sides.

Charging seems like it would actually be the simplest part, as you could just have an induction coil running around the inner edge.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    Tried to see if this was posted already. Do want. Not really into watches but there is something about this one that makes me feel warm inside.

midga
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2013
    My old Target watch didn't survive the move, so I picked up this cheap Timex so I could have a watch to wear for a job interview last week. It's a fine watch: clean design, Indiglo can be handy, and the expansion band meant I knew it would fit.

But now, since they've just offered me a job, I think it's time to give into you pushers and order my first mechanical watch.
    COMЯADES, behold Soviet design perfection!

UPSLynxmidga
    36mm. Tiny little thing.
    edited August 2013
    The Timex is 28mm. A watch for ants.

Edit: wait, do people mean dial width or case width? Amazon claims 40mm case width, but I measure 34. Anyway, is small. Hoping the Vostok is a bit bigger, but will be fine with it if not.
    edited August 2013
    Width is the maximum diameter of the case left to right. Any other way to measure case width is the wrong way, though sometimes people nevertheless measure lengthwise from lug to lug.

//edit: 28nm is technically designed for ladies. Classically, anything sub-35.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Yay commie watch!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Sometimes I feel like the only person that doesn't like the modern trend of huge watches. I like 36mm watches. My Caravelle is a 36 and I love the look of it, some of the larger ones just feel to gaudy to me sometimes.

My Tissot (still in Elgin for repairs currently :/) is a 40mm, and that's just about as big as I'm willing to go on a watch. It feels just right at that size.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    This is the 41mm version of The Runwell and it honestly feels a bit small to me, though the large numerals kind of make up for it. I prefer the 46mm.

BuddyJ
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Gargoyle said:

Soviet design perfection!

I have this Vostok and I love it!
    Garg
    Nice! Looks good with the black canvas band. Looking forward to getting mine sometime in September. Shipping from Ukraine is somewhat imprecise, I guess.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Brian took a photo of my watch.
    I WOULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS IF I HAD KNOWN YOU WERE JUST DOING THIS FOR THE BADGE.
    Signal
  • I WOULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS IF I HAD KNOWN YOU WERE JUST DOING THIS FOR THE BADGE.

(yes you would have)

I WOULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS IF I HAD KNOWN YOU WERE JUST DOING THIS FOR THE BADGE.

I already had the badge. I was just posting to post it.

No, I really wouldn't have. She could have struggled with her camera to take her own picture like she was already doing. NOPE. NO BADGEWHORING.

No, I really wouldn't have. She could have struggled with her camera to take her own picture like she was already doing. NOPE. NO BADGEWHORING.

I wasn't! I really thought I already had it.
  • No, I really wouldn't have. She could have struggled with her camera to take her own picture like she was already doing. NOPE. NO BADGEWHORING.

You were going to give terin a badge for 1000$... You were selling badges for money. THAT IS ACTUALLY WHAT BADGEWHORING WOULD BE.
    Of course I would have!
    Zanthian
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I'd give someone a badge for $1000.
    I'd give someone a badge for $100. Hand cross-stitched and everything.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    What badge...?

Also, I want a Vostok pretty badly. I think that'll be my next big watch purchase.

-edit-

I've had this one bookmarked for a while.

-edit-

Oh, that badge.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    For $1000, I would give Brian $900 to give someone a badge.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Good price. About 40% off its usual sale price.
    midga
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Added this to my collection.

I now have a watch for all occasions
    midgaUPSLynxketo