ardichokeUPSLynx
  • midga said:

Signal said:

We've announced our chronographs:

They'll be available soon.

/drool

Why does sexy have to cost so much?
    Hipster is expensive.
    They've gotta spend all that money they're saving by drinking PBR and shopping at thrift stores SOMEWHERE.
  • GattsuGattsu Orlando, Florida Icrontian

I finally bought a few mechanical watches. However, I encountered a few small problems. When I first got the AK Homme, I tried winding it normally. Everything felt and looked normal except, it didn't start ticking. I tried giving it a few shakes to no avail. About a week later, all I did was picked it up to move it, and it suddenly started ticking. 8 hours later, it still seems fine.

I got the Jaragar in the mail this afternoon. It came ticking and that too seemed like it was working fine. After about an hour after opening it, it stopped ticking. I tried winding it however, the winding didn't sound right, unlike any other mechanical watch that I've wound before, which isn't that many. I'm wondering if it is meant to be wound at all via the crown? It has the rotating winder underneath it (whatever it's called). Which I know is meant to wind it automatically when you are wearing it. I tried spinning that part a couple times which didn't start it up either. It didn't start ticking again until I pulled the crown out and back in.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    The crown is okay to wind (unless they do something really bizarre) as that is how you add enough power quickly to get it running and set it before putting it on if it dies. You probably have a defective one, but wiser people (who may own other Jaraguar's) may speak up.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I've had this issue before on a couple of my mechanicals. I assume it's things being lined up just wrong and needing a bit of motivation to get going. Usually I just pull the crown out and pop it back in and things are golden. Of course, this might be terrible and horrible and be doing awful things to the internals, but I am ignorant in this regard.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Some automatic mechanicals can't be hand wound. My Orient Senator (caliber 46N45) is one such beast. I don't know what movements your watches have, but it's something to at least be aware of.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    There's no Chinese movement currently on the market that doesn't support manual wind. That seems to be "symptomatic" (for lack of a better word) of select Seiko and Miyota movements. One of my Orients also cannot be hand-wound.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    @Fatcat I think we finally have a watch for you

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    YES!

can I get it with a leather band? like..

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    My soon to be wife gave me a lovely wedding gift tonight. A mechanical skeleton pocket watch. She knows me so well.

CBAlexDeGruvenmidga
    The Chinese Watch Mafia grows by one! Enjoy it. :)
    @Gattsu I don't know if you're still having problems with your AK, but recently I've been trying to make certain my second hand is vertical when I set my watch, and it's been starting right up every time. Dunno if that helps at all, but it couldn't hurt.
    Some of you might be interested in this. Lexell stone watches.
  • I like the idea and the general design aesthetic. The quartzite and white quartzite are pretty great. But I'm not of the hands or the hour markings :/.

tl;dr Butterface.
    midga
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    I like the idea, like the simplistic design, but how much does 160 grams compare to the average like model watch? Also, you can bang around leather and steel (to an extent). Won't having quartz bands and face bezel make the watch kind of delicate?
    Signal said:

I like the idea, like the simplistic design, but how much does 160 grams compare to the average like model watch? Also, you can bang around leather and steel (to an extent). Won't having quartz bands and face bezel make the watch kind of delicate?

I don't think these are meant to be worn during a cliff-face pipe-welding extreme bungee fist-gravel-fight boulder-eating competition. Although, on second thought, that might be exactly what it's for.

Signal
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    I've always liked watches, even though I've never considered myself a watch "nerd". Then again, I've lamented the decline of the wristwatch and how so many question its importance today, instead turning to cellphones to check the time. Explaining to these folks that there's more to a watch than simply checking the time often results in blank looks. Sigh.

Today I officially join the ranks of the watch nerds, as well as the Chinese Watch Mafia. After talking to @Thrax behind the scenes, I ordered the following two beauties:

1. Fossil ME1120 Machine Twist (Quartz)

I really liked the industrial and rather unusual look. The fact it is quartz doesn't bother me too much (yet). While I hesitate to call it a "skeleton watch", it does have some visible moving parts, which is icing on the cake. I have @Ardichoke to thank for drawing attention to it earlier.

2. Orient DB02004D STI Commuter (Automatic)

A true mechanical watch, this one bears the @Thrax seal of approval. I loved the rather simple design and the "open heart" partial skeleton window. Someday I'll get a fully-visible skeleton watch (such as the Sea-Gull M182SK), but for now I'll start off with this one.

Orient is a truly excellent brand to start with. Excellent choice.
    BuddyJ
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    As an update, discountwatchstore.com is having some lovely Cyber Monday deals. The Orient watch I purchased dropped $15, which they promptly refunded the difference to my credit card upon request.

I used their in-browser chat, and their customer service was very impressive. A gal named Katherine took care of me — fast, polite, professional, with a touch of friendly casual banter. While I don't have the watch yet, I wouldn't hesitate to order again based on the experience thus far. Props.
    midga
    http://www.crownandbuckle.com/

This is one of the best place to buy watch straps online. Their straps are usually $40+, but right now they're about $25. Great deals.
    Bandrik
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    @Bandrik It's also not fully quartz. At least on the specific Twist model that I have, the time and date keeping are quartz, the second hand and the exposed gears are actually mechanical and powered by a self-wind mechanism. I know this because I dropped my watch on the gym changing room floor at one point and broken the self-wind mechanism. The second hand and the exposed movement eventually stopped working (as it wouldn't wind anymore) but the watch itself continued to keep time and date.
    Bandrik
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    dat roman numeral IIII
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    I bought a couple of fairly inexpensive Seiko watches(SNK805 and SGEG25) because they were on sale.

I don't plan on starting a collection anytime soon, but are there any watches I should get now while they're on sale?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    My new watch finally arrived:
    Not expensive, but I like the look. Now I just need to find a band to match. The one that came with it isn't going to last long.
    ChoochmidgaBuddyJ
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2014

I want this watch so badly.
    midga