Any watch nerds on Icrontic?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    There's a reason why they're on the list. They frequently put things like "Swiss Movement" or "Swiss Origins" on the dials, and it's horse crap. They do make a few watches with legitimate Swiss ETA quartz, for example, but on the whole it's total bunk.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    In other watch news, I just snagged this Orient Senator (FD0F003W):

Mechanical Movement : ORIENT caliber 46N45 Made in Japan
    Self-winding movement
    21 jewels
    21600/hour vibrations
    Power reserve indicator, Date indicator

Stainless steel case
    Sapphire crystal
    Screw see-through caseback (crystal glass)
    Genuine leather strap
    Water resistant to 50m
    Diameter 40.00mm
    Thickness 11.70mm
    UPSLynxThrax
    That is such a nice watch. You picked my favorite variant, too! Did you use the Fall2012 discount code?
    Nope. I got it from a WUS member who had it listed on the boards there.

I'm hoping to wear this at my wedding, but I really need to find a good 22mm lug black strap for it so it doesn't look weaksauce with my tux. I've been looking for a legit Orient strap but they seem hard to come by. Might settle for a basic one from Long Island Watch.
    Try sectime.co.uk. Affordable shipping, even across the pond.
    Thanks! I ordered a black croc with white stitching butterfly deployant from them.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    That is an excellent looking watch.
    edited October 2012
    A very interesting post where someone took a digital timegrapher (measures the accuracy of a mechanical movement) to a set of cheap Chinese mechanicals.

I think the results will surprise you.
    edited October 2012
    I should have stuck with my gut instinct. After additional research, the AK Homme AK-W158 is definitely a PTS-Liaocheng ML series movement. I was thrown by my knowledge that Chinese Standard Movements usually put the balance wheel at 9 o'clock, so I surmised that the watchmaker had done a very simple 30° rotation of the movement to the 10 o'clock--path of least resistance or something. The crown was also rotated 30° in the same direction, down to the 4 o'clock, which further cemented my initial conclusion. Crowns are almost always at the 3 o'clock for a righty's watch, right? Seemed like a safe conclusion and all that. So, I started digging for all of the PTS-Liaocheng movements that featured this configuration, but it was a false search because PTS-Liaocheng doesn't make any movements with what I initially assumed was the OEM orientation of the movement, before AK Homme rotated it. So last night I thought it could be something else.

But the more I thought about the bridge on the balance, and the artwork on the day/night phase, the more I was swayed back into the PTS-Liaocheng camp. These characteristics are dead ringers for those guys.

So I started going through all of the possible orientations this unknown movement was originally designed with. It's another safe bet that the balance wheel could have started at 6 o'clock, a signature design of Chinese movements with an open heart. That would put the day/night at 3 o'clock and the 24-hour at 12 o'clock.

Well, what movements come with THAT orientation? NONE OF THEM.

I'm still convinced it's a reworked ML7101/7102. I'm investigating.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    BuddyJ, that Senator is saweet. I haven't owned a power reserve model of any stripe yet, that one's tempting.
    This will by my first power reserve (and first display back) too. I'm really looking forward to getting it and giving it a shot. One interesting thing about it is you can't hand wind it. All winding of the movement must be done by shaking the case. So I guess the power reserve is almost a necessary feature since you can't just give it a wind and know it's good to go for the next day or more.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a good vintage watch, here's a tempting deal on a 1960s Tissot. http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-vintage-1960s-tissot-seastar-seven-visodate-automatic-excellent-condition-final-price-reduction-763253.html
    Anyone interested in watch repair should check out this blog. The writer does a good job explaining and photographing what repairs are made to a variety of different watches.

http://watchguy.co.uk
    edited October 2012
    I have a very good lead on a Germasian watch with the PTS Resources ST-1200 Series karrousel tourbillon movement, at a jaw-droppingly good price. This is a real 12-hour carousel tourbillon. It's the Calvaneo Versaille Platin, and even if the heritage this brand attempts to invoke is total bullshit, the bargain is too god damn good to ignore.

The tourbillon tells the hour, the large blue hand tells the minute, the dial at 45 is a power reserve indicator, and the dial at 15 is a second timezone.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    I may need to change my pants.
    Mt_Goat
    edited October 2012
    Hope it's less than $30. There are lots of ST1201-1 or ST1206 watches on eBay right now in that price range. That one is probably the most attractive of them all, however. Unlike this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gev-Kuraz-Real-360-12Hr-Flying-Tourbillon-Karrousel-Mens-Watch-White-Gold-/251172874643?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3a7b11e993
    I don't mind the Gev Kuraz. There's also a black version of that watch on the bay as well.

But yes, it's very inexpensive. The movement alone is worth a lot more than the price on eBay, so I hope I can land it.
    Good luck sir. The videos I watched on the movement are pretty swank.
    omg I want that watch.

Link to seller? (I promise I'm not going to bid on you. I want to read up on it)

Or you can post info here if you prefer.
    It's a private seller. :)
    Dicks :(
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I'm gonna stick with my poorly chosen Invicta and a ghetto Roccawear. I'd go bankrupt if I entered this watch black hole. Plus, I don't even have clothes to wear these swank watches with.
    Got my Orient. OMG so cool. I love it. It takes FOREVER to wind to full power since you can't manually wind it, but aside from that I have zero complaints.

If any of you come across vintage Tissot Seastar 516 or Rado Green Horse watches, please let me know. I'd like to add them to my collection.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    That is the first watch I would consider wearing. I really like the simple yet impressive look of that watch.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Amazon is sending me emails now with notifications about watches being on sale. I blame you.
    Fans of simple skeleton watches should trawl ebay for the SeaGull M182SK or the Rotary GS02518.
  • Do you have any insight on EYKI watches @Thrax?
    They're miserable crap. Stay away.
    I bought a new cheap Chinese watch last night. It's another Jaragar, an eBay brand I was VERY happy with in my last purchase.

I really loved the sweeping second hand, independent of the small minute/hour subdial. At 38mm, with an open heart at 0900, it appears to be based on the Chinese Standard Movement. It should be here in a few weeks, whereupon I will report back with a video.

In other news, I have two new videos to make tonight! One for my Japanese Orient watch, and one for the AK Homme.

• Any particular reason you are happy with Jaragar? They were on the brand blacklist you posted, so I've been avoiding them when I wander through eBay looking at watches...