Any watch nerds on Icrontic?

Comments

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Groupon has some stuhrling skeleton watches currently:
    http://www.groupon.com/pages/gg-stuhrling-skeleton-watches-options
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian
    I’m not a watch nerd since I don’t know anything about watches, so I have only been checking this thread every few days to look at the pretty (and manly) watches. I missed the train talk, but it inspired me to send this. I got the Waltham as a gift in 1968 and carried it on-and-off for a few years. It now hangs on the side of my laser printer like a small wall clock.

Waltham
    Waltham open

The Coach is my everyday watch.

Coach

And you don't have to tell me I don't know how to photograph watches.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    That Waltham is awesome! My grandfather has a similar one. Great watches.
  • I know it's not as thrilling as buying random watches from Chinese mushroom brands, but my fiancee got me the Fossil Twist ME-1099 which I've had my eye on for some time for my birthday. It's gorgeous. I like that it's nice enough to wear when dressed up, but not so fancy that it looks out of place in every day life.

Tushon
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    You'll be happy to know that the Twist's sweep second hand has landed you a seat at the Chinese mechanical table. Unknown supplier, but probably PTS Resources.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Thrax said:

It's not scratched, it's just unpolished. The edges are also smooth.

I just went back and looked at that post, and I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. The one you show as being low-quality definitely looks unfinished, your mid-range watch also looks unfinished and is covered in milling marks (scratches), your high-end watch is finished (the radial patterns on the different pieces are a pretty common CNC mill finish solution), and the engraved one features deeper tool marks applied artistically. None of these are really polished; tool marks are plainly visible on all of them.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    luv orange

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I'd wear the Breitling. That Invicta is a bit much for me, though.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    If you want to wear orange, the only choice is Doxa.

It's all about the Seiko Orange Monster:

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    fatcat said:

luv orange

I generally hate Breitlings, but that one has given me a small but growing problem in my pants. Well, except the hideous strap, but easily enough fixed.

I'm a big sucker for chronos. And diver bezels.

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I found and liked the look of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/ANDROID-AD486ABUS-Maxjet-Mechanical-Skeleton/dp/B004XN8L7O/ref=sr_1_4?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1353910798&sr=1-4

Now I just need to decide if its worth the money...
    It absolutely isn't. If quality matters to you, you can get the same quality out of Stührling or Akribos XXIV for a fraction of the price if you're patient. Especially if you're okay with eBay.
    Guys, I have so many watches to share with you! Cheapies, a few good ones, and a very interesting Germasian with true 29.5-day moonphase. :)

Soon!
    UPSLynx
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I saw this in this month's Wired. I thought it was pretty sexy.

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Want to buy: that watch plus skeleton.
    edited December 2012
    Today's watch, by Tao International:

Small seconds, day/date, day/night, 24-hour.

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Tell me moar! Pix of back of the case plx. Movement? Etc. Etc. etc.
    @Buddyj: I'll have time this weekend to get that for you. I still need to do some research on the movement, and I'll also have time to take videos.

In the mean time, here's today's watch, another Jaragar:

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    Epic thread has sucked me in. I'll upgrade from my cheapo digital watch that I got last year for tide awareness on a hike and just kept wearing (not good fashion sense). So I'm bidding on this Ouyawei on eBay as a first try:

What kind of band would look good with it? Possibly a NATO nylon black? I want it to look smart but simple, not visually noisy.

What tool do you use to swap out the band?
    Yeah, NATO would probably be okay. For extra fashion points, get a black band with a blue racing stripe.

I have a hard time visualizing NATO bands. For some reason, my brain always goes to leather.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2012
    Damn this thread. It's finally sucked me in. I have too many expensive hobbies as it is. Sigh.

Anyway, the skeletonized watch @Zanthian posted is pretty tempting, but I'm considering swapping the band to something more universal.

I also like some of the simple, clean Seiko designs, like @Basil's:

I'd like to one day get something bold (maybe in hella orange, like the Doxa @BuddyJ posted), but not until I've upgraded by wardrobe in general.
    And today, I'm wearing my beloved Parnis Portugese. It was $65 shipped, and comes with the excellent Sea-Gull ST25 movement (img). This has a real power reserve (many cheap watches have the power reserve slaved to another dial) and sub seconds. This is one of my favorite timepieces.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Started trolling for Jaragar on eBay. First hit was this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOURBILLION-JARAGAR-MECHANICAL-ROSE-GOLD-MEN-DATE-AUTOMATIC-WATCH-LUXURY-SPORT-/370701305675?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item564f85074b at $50 shipped. Even if it's crap, it's so pretty.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Wow, nice deal.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited December 2012
    Was the $65 Parnis Portugese from an auction or a buy-it-now/regular seller?

I really love the look and a power reserve function would be handy... hmm.
    edited December 2012
    I purchased mine from: http://manbushijie.com/ (intermittently offline, crappy hosting, but very good reputation)

http://www.jacksontse.com/new/ is cheaper, and purported to be good, but I've not yet purchased from him. You can also try parniswatch.net.

You'll need an account to see the lowest prices at all three sites, so don't forget to register.

Never buy Parnis on eBay.
    Basil
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Cheers Thrax.

Decided to try my luck with jacksontse.com, a £40 Parnis Portugese should arrive in the next few weeks.
    Good luck! Let me know how it goes. There are 2-3 more Parnis models I'd like to own, and I hope to get them from Jacksontse.