SimCity

Comments

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    I'm mad about everything and I'm gonna argue with everybody who disagrees with my opinion *Rabble Rabble*

<3
    MrTRiotJBoogaloo
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Your rights are not being stepped on, your botcott will not change the industry, and your preaching just sounds like whining.
    Just like voting, waste of time, never changes anything...
    ardichoke
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    @CB Your retort was an encyclopedia of fallacious debate tactics. The only actual argument I saw in there was "pay your $60 or don't" which is the most nihilistic gamer stance you can possibly take short of "buy it used from GameStop" - OH WAIT, IRONY.
    NullenVoydThraxmidgaardichoke
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    I wasn't debating and was not considering tactics. Only expressing an opinion. I was pleading with my friends to stop debating this topic as if it was a really big deal. I was not defending EA or Origin or Maxis, nor was I agreeing with or disagreeing with anyone. I was asking for a cessation of the mountains made of molehills.

Also:
    My hair is a bird.
    JBoogaloo
    edited March 2013
    Saying the way to deal with Maxis doing this is to quietly not buy the game is like saying the way to deal with SOPA was to quietly stop running your websites. It doesn't take that many molehills stacked up to start feeling like a mountain.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    The difference is that SOPA is actually a stepping on of consumer rights, while SimCity is a game you dislike the design decisions on.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    The big difference I have is that I don't find it remotely insignificant that SimCity could become the standard model future games follow should we lay down and accept its hostility as the status quo.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    While I think it's cool that the game takes into account the rest of the world playing when making the calculations for your single-player city, I would much prefer that to be an option, rather than a requirement.

By locking people in to an online-only model, they've reduced the potential buyer pool (though not that much, because some people will buy it anyway), alienated everyone with a remotely dodgy internet connection, and set themselves up for failures on a massive scale.
    edited March 2013
    I said that tolerance for 10-minutes of offline play during connection loss was proof that SimCity didn't need a connection to the mothership to do any of the "simulating" Maxis claims it was doing. Now we have proof that I and others were right: we were being lied to about the nature of SC's server/client model.

Maxis Insider: SimCity Servers NOT Necessary
    The servers are not handling any of the computation done to simulate the city you are playing. They are still acting as servers, doing some amount of computation to route messages of various types between both players and cities. As well, they’re doing cloud storage of save games, interfacing with Origin, and all of that. But for the game itself? No, they’re not doing anything. I have no idea why they’re claiming otherwise. It’s possible that Bradshaw misunderstood or was misinformed, but otherwise I’m clueless.
    And:
    Kotaku ran a series of tests today, seeing how the game could run without an internet connection, finding it was happy for around 20 minutes before it realised it wasn’t syncing to the servers. Something which would surely be impossible were the servers co-running the game itself.
    midgaardichoke
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    I am enjoying my time with the game. CB and I started a shared region and are experimenting. I would like the cheetah mode back though.
    The servers can barely handle normal mode. Not sure they could handle all that simulating on cheetah mode!
    UPSLynxardichoke
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Actually, the servers are now pretty much normal for me. I thought you weren't buying the game Thrax?
    I don't own the game.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Managed to get on North East 1, is our group server still running?
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    I'm still unable to get on east 1... I have a 100k pop city with 15 spots available on east 3 if anyone wants to join :)
    I'm on East 3, shoot me an invite we can get an alt server up and running.
    edited March 2013
    In Icrontic Gorge (East 3) I think we need to make a city comprised entirely of low-med wealth workers and just have them shuttle into our cities via regional transportation. Both of the major cities are experiencing worker shortages and my tourist/gambling economy requires more sims than we currently have.

Also Nuclear or bust.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Maybe I'll hop on and create that world of low-med wealth workers. It'll probably be a day or so before I get time to do it though.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    My whole city is residential and money producing oil industry. Need commercial and/or industry desperately lol...

add me on origin if anyone else wants in on the fun! East 3, Icrontic Gorge
    Aside: I promoted @CannonFodder's comment because he took the time to outline his experiences with the game after significant gameplay, not just to promote a "game sucks" narrative. :pirate:
    JBoogalooMrTRiotUPSLynxRahnalH102
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1a82q7/the_simcity_pr_nightmare_escalates/
    "Several players have noted that the characters in the game don’t actually have any permanent jobs or homes. They simply walk to the nearest available open job or a suitable home at certain times, a simplification that creates major headaches in city planning. Sims that start walking don’t switch to mass transit if they don’t find a job nearby; kids don’t get to schools easily; all cops go to a single crime scene even if police stations are carefully spread in different parts of the city. School buses, fire trucks and tourist hordes all seem to have trouble finding obvious routes to their goals. As a result, designing a functional city may mean planning a street grid and placement of different facilities in a deeply counterintuitive way. Players have to design their cities to suit bad algorithms, not realistic goals."

Also from Reddit:

cleo_ 94 points 4 hours ago
    I think they're trying to fool people who just look at a population number and are happy. A lot of people complained about not being able to build million-cities, so EA just enlargened the number so they wouldn't complain anymore.

Indeed. Even more damning is that it seems to be happening at the GUI layer (if the code leak from earlier in the week is indeed true and up-to-date).
    https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5133829#file-simcityui-js-L8510
    simcity.GetFudgedPopulation = function (a) {
      a = "undefined" !== typeof a ? a : simcity.gGlobalUIHandler.mLastPopulation;
      if (500 >= a)
        return a;
      if (40845 < a)
        return Math.floor(8.25 * a);
      a = Math.pow(a - 500, 1.2) + 500;
      return Math.floor(a)
    };
    Nition 80 points 4 hours ago*
    For the non-programmers (or the lazy), what this is doing is:
    Pop 0-500: Report actual population
    Pop 501-40845: Report the actual first 500, plus the rest to the power of 1.2
    Pop 40846+: Report 8.25 * actual
    40846 might seem like a random number. It's chosen because it's the point where the two algorithms seamlessly cross over:
    Actual pop 40845: 500 + ((40845-500)^1.2) = 336971 reported
    Actual pop 40846: 40846 * 8.25 = 336979 reported
    Edit: Fixed the forgotten -500.
    Edit2: Here's a graph.

SimShitty
    UPSLynx
    MrTRiot said:

My whole city is residential and money producing oil industry. Need commercial and/or industry desperately lol...

add me on origin if anyone else wants in on the fun! East 3, Icrontic Gorge

Yeah I noticed that the majority of your workers started running over to my city as soon as I opened my industrial sector.

Had I not felt like increasing the wealth levels in my city I'm sure I could've just stuck to building industry but as soon as my oil/ore/coal reserves ran out I realized I had to find other sources of income.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

Aside: I promoted @CannonFodder's comment because he took the time to outline his experiences with the game after significant gameplay, not just to promote a "game sucks" narrative. :pirate:

Thank you - I wanted to make a "helpful" post rather than just promoting a negative campaign.

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    Apparently "GetFudgedPopulation" is not just leaked code; you can open up the game files and see it in the Javascript. (Disclaimer: Don't know if doing so would violate the EULA.)

However, Maxis did previously publish the fact that not all of your population would be simulated. Computing constraints or something. Maybe the visual city size and number of buildings do correspond to the larger pop. figure?