Guitar Hero III tomorrow night!

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Gaming
Im pretty excited. The gamestop by my house is doing a midnight release and a competition with the demo songs from gh3. Too bad the demo is only for the 360 so ill just have to wing it.

Anyone else picking it up? Im getting the wii version.

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Guitar hero II rocked :D I want to get GHIII but I dunno if they are gunna do it for the PS2 lol. Although I'm trying to complete it on hard, I got to 30/40 songs :P I'm glued to WoW 99.99% of the time though, so that's not bad considering I have the hand-eye coordination of a blind Llama with frequent, invoulentary muscle-spasms.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    omg i can hardly wait!
    i got GH II for my 360 a few days ago as a Bday gift!
    im so addicted! :D

Tenacious D rox! :D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    As much as I loved the GH series, I am holding out for Rock Band... But I might pick up GH3 for my PS3 :)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    It'll be out for the PS2.

I preordered through RedOctane, so I won't get it until sometime next week. I'm excited. I've been playing GH2 and the demo like crazy. I can't wait. 360, by the way.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited October 2007
    so what advantage does rockband have over gh3(other than having other instruments which are stupid to begin with). I haven't even seen a list of songs that are gonna be on rockband.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I'm looking forward to rock band too... but almost £200 for the set? go boil yerself. Me and some friends are chipping in... SHOTGUN DRUMS!
    edited October 2007
    Ok just checked out rockbands song list, and GH3 definitey beats it. The other instruments would be cool, but i mean playing drums or bass by yourself would just be boring....GO GH3!!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2007
    Definitely picking it up for the Wii. The track list is so many shades of awesome. Can't wait. My only complaint is that there is no down loadable content for the Wii. It's not a deal breaker by any stretch, but it is disappointing. I also whish (and I heard some rumor that the PC version will support it) that there was the ability to put in your own songs. I wouldn't think it would be difficult. Import a song and have a program that goes through calculates the beats and applies a pattern through it. As it is though, I'm delighted with the fact that they've got some serious hardcore stuff in there Slipknot, Rage, In Flames....so looking forward to playing.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Since it's coming out for the Wii, I might pick it up.
    edited October 2007
    Rock Band isn't meant as a single player experience. Calling it stupid before you've even touched it shows you don't even want to give it a chance. Also, there are drum rhythm games, guitar rhythm games, and karaoke games. They've all done well. Why wouldn't a combination do well?

Rock Band is also supposed to be about $170 for the entire set.

As for downloadable content for the Wii, I read they're working on that. Maybe at some point. I wouldn't blame the lack of DLC on RedOctane and Neversoft, though. The Wii wasn't initially designed with larger DLC in mind.

As for adding your own music, I think it's a little more complicated than running it through an algorithm to generate the notes. You've got 5 buttons, and to try to get a computer to map those to an almost infinite set of sound possibilities is a little tough. Our ears can discern between drums, guitars, basses, keyboards, etc., but a computer just sees an analog/digital set of data. Also, some songs don't clearly produce an easily discernible beat for the computer to determine a correct BPM.

Just my two cents.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I dont know about rock band, im a dedicated GH fan, and yes GH has a way better song list.

Im on the save your soul set on expert, i think its the last, raining blood is kicking my ass and i think the devil from tenacious d is the boss of this so thats going to be hard as hell.

rock on
    edited October 2007
    My copy gets here Wednesday. With the wireless guitar. I'm excited.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    so you know you can get rock band with just he game and guitar... each item is sold seperatly or as a bundle...

Also Rock band will be tied to a online system that will offer thousands of songs down the road.

Along with that the makers of the original Guitar Hero are the makers of Rock Band...
    edited October 2007
    With the cost of the bundle versus buying individually, to get the game, drums, and mic, you're already at the $170 mark. Might as well buy the bundle.

You think thousands of songs?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited October 2007
    I'm picking it up for the Wii as soon as I can scrounge up another 30 bucks. Really looking forward to playing with some of you! :)
    edited October 2007
    Picked it up for the Wii first thing this morning. I'd like to say how good it is to play but I can't. I haven't been able to pry the guitar out of my wifes hands all day. But from the excitement she's displaying I'd say it's pretty damn good. Specially considering that she's not much of a video game junkie.

I'm seeing the purchase of a second guitar in my near future.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Pre ordered it on friday and picked it up sunday!
    i just loved it! the song list is right up my alley, the game is just awesome.
    Im also loving the xbox Live play...

the only bad thing is that my better half called dibs on the LesPaul wireless guitar and im stuck with the GH2 explorer :S
    edited October 2007
    I finally pried the guitar away from my wife and got a chance to play it. Very solid game. This is my first time with any of the GH games and I'm definitely loving it. The song list is great with only a few songs that I could care less about. So far I'd have to say my favorite song to play has been Paint it Black nailed a 135 note run on that song.
    edited October 2007
    If walmart still has some copies of the game (w/ the guitar), I'm going to get it today for 360.
    edited October 2007
    Im still stuck on raining blood and one. favorite song to play so far is through the fire and flames. i can only hit 65-68% of the notes though, and the intro is nearly impossible.

my wii online handle is Mastodon if anyone wants to play.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Didn't GH2 just come out in late spring? :confused:
    edited October 2007
    GH2 was released for PS2 Nov. 7 , 2006. The XBox 360 version was released Apr. 3, 2007. So, it has been a year since the original release of GH2.

Rock the 80's just came out a couple months ago, however. That is considered more of an expansion than a full release.

My understanding is that they're aiming for a full release yearly with an "expansion" in between.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I guess I was thinking of the XBOX version, yeah. Once a year isn't so bad, then.
    edited October 2007
    Im gunna start an Icrontic Tour group so, if you're online, post your band names and ill invite you. i dont know if ps3 wii and xbox ppl can be in the same tour though.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    so this is worth buying, then? Is this a good party game for Oktoberfest? (wii version)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    so this is worth buying, then? Is this a good party game for Oktoberfest? (wii version)

OH GOD NO DRUNK KARAOKE!
    edited October 2007
    I got it today for 360. The first thing I noticed was that the graphics were much better. It looks really good. Also, the gameplay seems a little bit harder. It seems to be more picky about getting landing notes closer to the ciricles.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2007

Great party game!! I'll make sure my copy is there (360).

I love it, I can't stop playing it right now. I'm 3/4s of the way through med (I'm a n00b so I worked through easy) and its getting creepy how you start playing things without even thinking. Can't wait to get up to hard.

Love the setlist, playing through the fire and flames non-stop along with My Name is Jonas. I know graphics don't mean squat, but they SUCK. I mean come on, hire a guy to redo the crappy player models and movements. It actually distracts me when I'm playing how bad it is. They should have used the cell shading in the entire game rather than just the cutscenes.

//edit I'd watch out about getting the Wii version. Despite the fact it has some vibration from the controller it sounds like it might not get any DLC and that would kinda suck for this game.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    go boil yerself
    No! :eek::eek: I've still got scar tissue from the first time! :(
    edited October 2007
    I'm still working my way through on easy and just got to the section with Slipknot and Metallica. I nailed One doing a 235 note run ending at 97%. That song plays awesome. I think the game feels better the faster it gets as it starts to play more note for note with the song looking forward to medium. I've dabbled with hard and currently it seems nigh impossible to play. I've just gawked at Extreme and don't even think it's possible for any sort of normal human to play.

I have some friends that play guitar and they just laugh at extreme. Most commenting that it's much easier to play those songs on a real guitar. Which kind of bugs me on a level. I realize it's not a Guitar Simulator and that it is a rhythm game. But at the same time, I'd like to think that there is some point where playing the game = playing the song (chord for chord at least) on a real guitar.