Windows 7 open beta

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2009
    It uses the same driver base as Vista/Windows 2008 server so if your hardware couldn't run Vista it's not going to run on Windows 7 either.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    So what version did you guys run? 32-bit? 64-bit? I'm currently trying 64-bit and looking for 64-bit versions of programs to run on it. Lots of programs lack 64-bit versions.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Blue_Dog wrote:
    you can download it free from microsoft now, I believe ..............

I know, I meant when it is relased, as in when it is fully available as a finished OS.

Would I be able to assume installing DX10 is alright?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    ok Fixed, Grabbed my mother board disk and installed the older vista drivers and boom it works great! Actually my mic is a ton clearer than it was on xp which is nice!

Final assesment, Its a ton faster and more stable than vista could have ever wanted to be and this is BETA!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    One thing I've found that I love is that if you connect a USB headset you would usually have to restart the program that you were using, now it just transfers the audio from the sound card to the headset.

Pretty solid beta so far. I've heard of people already using it as their main OS.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2009
    Ok so my opinion so far is this is really Vista sp2. This is what vista was supposed to be and they couldnt make the time line deadlines. They cut a lot of crap out of vista to get it out the door but win 7 is really just Vista with all the crap it should of had to start with.

We got a cut down and crapped on OS for Vista out the chute as MS was getting so much doodoo for missing release dates. So rather then wait on Vista they cut a lot of crap out of it and prayed on the release. Its a resource pig and needs a ton of ram but I actually liked Vista.

But win 7 is just Vista but better...

Like putting lipstick on a pig really. Only so much your going to do unless you start fresh. And MS didnt start fresh here. Which is good and bad..... But dont expect anything special. Its a faster Vista. They painted lipstick on a pig....

Cowboy
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Black Hawk wrote:
    So what version did you guys run? 32-bit? 64-bit? I'm currently trying 64-bit and looking for 64-bit versions of programs to run on it. Lots of programs lack 64-bit versions.

Native 64-bit programs are hard to come by, but that doesn't affect your 64-bit performance at all. I personally don't see any reason anybody wouldn't run x64 anymore, especially with 4GB of RAM becoming so damn cheap. There's just no reason. Driver support is in place. Go for glory.

I installed it last night on my laptop. I'll be testing it out as the primary OS for that thing, so it'll get a workout.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I just grabbed a serial for both in case I do run into any issues.

Oh and MS said instead of closing the beta signup when 2.5 million keys are hit, they are keeping it open until the 24th :)

Should of done that in the first place and they would of saved themselves some embarrassment :D

cheers :jared:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I have installed Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron 9300 (about 4 years old). I had to install (Windows update actually) Intel Pro drivers and sound drivers. It also updated ATI video and network. Other than that, everything is running good.

I have not been able to get my bluetooth mouse to connect.... :scratch:

I like it... It's Vista but better. Things seem snappier and less confusing than Vista.

PS... I'm posting from Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8 Beta.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited January 2009
    So much hype! This might be the next big thing to make me upgrade my computer for a seamless computer experience.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    My experiences have primarily been with x86-32. I'm going to install x86-64 and start doing some benchmarks.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I've been running the x64 version for a few days. So far, the only issues I've experienced seem to be more attributed to an application's 64-bit mode malfunctioning or a 32-bit application acting up in a 64-bit OS. Much less related to the fact that it's a new operating system.
  • JohnnyBravoJohnnyBravo Ephrata, Pa
    edited January 2009
    Gnome got it and gave me a copy , I registered and got my key last night, I plan on installing it later on in the week. I hope it goes as well as it has for most!
    edited January 2009
    Just an aside. I am preparing to write a comprehensive benchmark that will compare the following OSes:
    • Windows XP x86-32 SP3
    • Windows XP x86-64 SP2
    • Windows Vista x86-32 SP1
    • Windows Vista x86-64 SP1
    • Windows Vista x86-32 SP2 Beta
    • Windows Vista x86-64 SP2 Beta
    • Windows 7 Beta 1

They will be installed fresh from media with a slipstreamed service pack and no modifications.

Games:
    Crysis: Warhead
    FarCry 2
    Unreal Tournament 2008
    Fallout 3
    Half-Life 2
    Call of Duty 4

Synthetic:
    SuperPi 1/2/4/8/16/32m test
    3DMark Vantage
    PCMark Vantage
    SiSoft Sandra 2009 SP2 Processor Arithmetic
    SiSoft Sandra 2009 SP2 Cryptography
    SiSoft Sandra 2009 SP2 Memory Bandwidth
    SiSoft Sandra 2009 SP2 Memory Latency
    1/2/4/8/16/32/64/128 I/O IOMeter File Server
    HD Tune
    HD Tach
    ATTO

Multimedia:
    x264 Encoding
    Cinebench R10
    CDA to 192-320Kbps VBR MP3 (LAME)
    DVD Ripping
    MPEG2 to XViD
    8 Photoshop filters to a 7680x1600 PNG

Productivity:
    100MB/1GB/10GB WinRAR maximum compression
    100MB/1GB/10GB WinRAR extraction
    100MB/1GB/10GB Windows ZIP compression
    100MB/1GB/10GB Windows ZIP extraction
    100MB/1GB/10GB disk to disk transfer
    100MB/1GB/10GB network transfer
    CD/DVD burn time
    OS install time
    OS boot time
    OS shut down time
    8GB Avast! virus scan of compressed files

and maybe some other shit I can drag up.
    edited January 2009
    Good Lord, that will take a while.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Holy cow, Thrax! Anything else, maybe take over the known world, or start a new space program? That will be awesome, but do you plan on any sleep in the next two weeks?
    edited January 2009
    Sleep? What's that?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Thrax, in your gaming section, be sure to include World of Warcraft on maximum video settings with full shader effects going! 11.5 MILLION WoW players want to know!

I downloaded the 32 and 64 bit betas of 7 last night, had no problem. Got them on the first try in an hour or so while I was playing Halo 2.

I put the 32 bit version on a 5400 rpm hard drive in my HP DV6000 laptop. So far it runs okay. I haven't done much with it yet, but so far I think it looks too much like Vista and not enough like XP.;D
    edited January 2009
    I'm not including World of Warcraft benchmarks. The game will run well on a toaster.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    11.4999 million people want to know, cause I don't.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    How about running some Castle Wolfenstein benchmarks?
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I'm not including World of Warcraft benchmarks. The game will run well on a toaster.

You should do a quake benchmark just to pay homage to the old days. If you can't get 1200fps in windows 7 beta it fails.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Kwitko wrote:
    How about running some Castle Wolfenstein benchmarks?

I used to get a better framerate by pushing the turbo button on my PC, which overclocked it from 10 to 12 MHz!
    edited January 2009
    It suspends to RAM... so very damn quickly.

-sigh- 7 makes ME rethink my position on Vista in some areas...
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    -sigh- 7 makes ME rethink my position on Vista in some areas...

I got it installed last night in a VM. Definitely feels to me like what Vista should/could have been although I can't say I dig the UI just yet. Going to do a real install this evening; just have to figure out where.
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited January 2009
    I love me some Windows 7! I'm really surprised about how well it runs. It's running better on my laptop right now then Ubuntu did.
    edited January 2009
    I installed Windows 7 on my new laptop yesterday. I was ultimately unsuccessful, although I really enjoyed the 7 UI while it was running.

I had a really slow refresh rate and a 1024x768 display, so I went looking for a driver. The whole time I was using IE, I repeatedly got application errors from IE of a type I've never seen before, then I got to this page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_7.html but the procedure didn't work, there was no video driver for my laptop graphics chipset on 64-bit Windows 7.

I'm going to perform a second attempt with 32-bit Windows 7 and see if that works any better for me.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    What is your laptop graphics chipset?

EDIT: Forgot that stuff is in the UserCP now. (^5, Keebs!)

You've got a NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G, mirite? I was mainly curious to see if you had the same as I do (8600M GT), since I'm thinking about trying Windows 7 x64 on my laptop.
    edited January 2009
    Gargoyle wrote:
    You've got a NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G, mirite? I was mainly curious to see if you had the same as I do (8600M GT), since I'm thinking about trying Windows 7 x64 on my laptop.

Yes, that's the graphics chipset in my laptop. There is a Vista x64 driver, but not a Windows 7 version yet, apparently.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    //EDIT: <--- Idiot