Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Don't read fanfic huh? I didn't either until until I got hit in the brain by Fallout: Equestria. I find it a little disturbing that I've not read a 'real' book for almost half a year - the sheer quantity and quality of what's available has made it impossible (and I'm someone who gets through a book a week).

You are spot-on about the community; that's what pulled me in and that's what keeps me here.
  • edited October 2011
    I'm in the military. I'm in a combat MOS. I discovered the show after returning from afghanistan.

I've even gone so far as to put a Celestia "Obey" poster on my commanding officer's door. Everyone in my unit knows. And not a single fuck is given.
  • edited October 2011
    I watched a retrospective of G1-G4 MLP, and I have to say, I'm actually a little tempted to watch some of G1... but not any of the rest of it until G4 which I already adore. What can I say, I really love cheesy 80s cartoons (I may or may not own all the Thundercats DVDs). But as a self-admitted brony, I say this: if it's got Pixar-deep characters, Warner Brothers slapstick, and Dungeons and Dragons-esque adventures to defeat giant beasties, how can you not like it?

And Applejack is the best pony. She won the Prize Pony of Ponyville award. Quod Erat Demonstrandum.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Fluttershy is best pony. UPSLynx is best brony. Real talk.
  • edited October 2011
    "Rainbow Dash is best pony"

I do believe you meant Rarity, sir.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Tigerheart wrote:
    I'm in the military. I'm in a combat MOS. I discovered the show after returning from afghanistan.

I've even gone so far as to put a Celestia "Obey" poster on my commanding officer's door. Everyone in my unit knows. And not a single fuck is given.

You are awesome. Thank you for your service, and for not giving a single f*k.
    BuddyJ wrote:
    Fluttershy is best pony. UPSLynx is best brony. Real talk.

710519e2-e7d9-4974-b4b4-a144c4a4c295.jpg
  • edited October 2011
    Gilda is the best pony.

(Prays for redemption episode)
  • edited October 2011
    The only sentence that works with "best" and "pony" has to have the noun "Fluttershy" in order to make any Celestiadamn sense.
  • edited October 2011
    attention comments, Rainbow Dash is best pony, that is all.
  • edited October 2011
    what no love for applejack?
    shes cool, but derpy hooves is the best, even though shes just a background pony :P, i havent seen season 2 yet but i hope shes in it like tehy said she would be.

oh and seriously, thanks alot for this article! it amazing
  • edited October 2011
    Sorry but Rainbow Dash is the best pony ever!

Also to Mezzanine sorry but prob 90% of the fandom would disagree, even Lauren didn't like the show. Everything Lauren makes is awesome showing that a show made by a girl doesn't have to be crap or just for girls :D

Also I love the fanfics...the clopfics aren't to bad either :P
  • edited October 2011
    Luna is best pony, obviously. But this is a very good, very concise article. The brony community is one of the best things to come from the internet since...well, ever. Brony and proud! I think I've spent more money on MLP merchandise than on video games recently.
  • edited October 2011
    Clearly you are all crazy!
    Nyx is best pony!
    *gets beaten to death by anti-fans*
  • edited October 2011
    im not gona discuss about who of the 6 is the best though, cuz it leads nowhere.

well, this sums up almost everything. you told it how it was and nothing to it. thanks for giving me this explanation, now i can explain it to those who try to avoid me after i tell 'em im a brony :P
    they're just overreacting to the title. talk about judging a book by it's cover
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    9171902.jpg
  • edited October 2011
    Twilight Sparkle is the best pony guys, it's been scientifically proved - EqD ran a poll on it.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    What is bronies eating bass 111mb mp3 sitting on my desktop? All digital forensics point at me downloading it last night in our synchtube sesh. ... I don't remember ... so blurry
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Lindil wrote:
    Twilight Sparkle is the best pony guys, it's been scientifically proved - EqD ran a poll on it.

You can't argue with science.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29338&stc=1&d=1317931871
  • edited October 2011
    @Misterz100:
    You are actually quite wrong about Faust not liking the original series. She grew up with the show, and had the toys as a kid. Heck, the characters that we all know and love now are based off the personalities she gave her toys as a kid.

Yes, she did want to take it in a bit of a different direction than the show had taken in the past. But she definitely did not hate the show.
  • edited October 2011
    Finally, an article that explains the bronydom well!
  • edited October 2011
    "Rainbow Dash is the best pony"
    Silly poster, that's not how you spell Derpy.

(Seriously, the chains of "_____is best pony/that's not how you spell ________________" in responses is one of my favorite parts of ponydom)
    edited October 2011
    What is bronies eating bass 111mb mp3 sitting on my desktop? All digital forensics point at me downloading it last night in our synchtube sesh. ... I don't remember ... so blurry

What, you actually expected to remember the ending moments of one of our MLP synchtubes?

I don't remember the last eight streams!
  • edited October 2011
    Princess Celestia is the best pony.

Though Fluttershy is my favorite.
  • edited October 2011
    Great article!
    Love the show, love the fan base and all the projects and pieces put together for it.

Applejack is the best FYI.
  • edited October 2011
    Twilight Sparkle is the best pony...
    and you should really give some of those fanfics a try, I recomend "Past Sins" and "Fallout: Equestria" for starters, if you like reading, you will love these! also "Out in the Cold"... great stuff
    spread that brony awareness!
  • edited October 2011
    Shut up all, fluttershy is best pony
  • edited October 2011
    The earlier shows aren't that bad. G1 had plenty of genuinely scary bits (the big bad in Ghost of Paradise Estate was right out of Lovecraft). The problem was the characters were bland and indistinguishable. Pony Tales is okay. The characters are memorable. Even G3 is entertaining (but only when drunk). However, the G3.5 chibi show and newborn ponies show are every bit as terrible as you might have heard.
  • edited October 2011
    P.S. Twilight is best pony. Smart is sexy.

Twi is mai waifu.
  • edited October 2011
    The community is everything! I love the show, but the fandom is what really makes you a brony. And if you enjoy being part of the community just in terms of seeing other folks cartoons and songs and fanfics, just wait until you contribute something yourself! We are the nicest audience in the world, and we love anything that has a pony in it. The validation is amazing. ;)
    edited October 2011
    Macon Mixx wrote:
    And if you enjoy being part of the community just in terms of seeing other folks cartoons and songs and fanfics, just wait until you contribute something yourself!

Funny you mention that, I made this awhile back:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xVkmH-EkYqM&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nearly 55,000 views, and the comments are a riot.