Thoughts of Diablo 3?

1235»

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Winfrey said:

Looks like Legendary items are getting a nice re-work

impossible. blizzard learned nothing from diablo 2, which was released as a perfect game.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Yes, more levels.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Just what I wanted, to finish my leveling, then start more leveling in a not so "this level" but a "THOSE" levels situation. Just like EQ, when you decide to start grinding out 5000 AAs.
    d3k0y said:

Just what I wanted, to finish my leveling, then start more leveling in a not so "this level" but a "THOSE" levels situation. Just like EQ, when you decide to start grinding out 5000 AAs.

This is a fairly painless and simple way to remedy 2 areas of community bitching..
    1) The game is over and I want more, give it to me.
    2) End game isn't easy enough. Make my character more powerful without a gear grind, now.
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    I actually think the changes are going to be good. My only qualm is the fact that the paragon levels grant you stats. Not sure if I like that. In general though...the game should have shipped like this. The drop out rate would have been much smaller.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    It wouldn't have been smaller. It would have delayed the inevitable. This doesn't solve the fundamental issue that D3 offers nothing to do beyond farming once the level cap is achieved.

Now, this presupposes that the game should have something to do. As a genre, ARPGs follow a very narrow formula, one that does not include a structured endgame. Besides, players got exactly what they asked for: a polished D2LOD.
    Err, sorry, I meant the drop out would have been much smaller at this current point in time. Your point is completely correct. When it comes to delaying the inevitable though, blizzard has proved fairly good at that. To be fair, when they do delay it, everybody wins.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    I'm pleased by the changes. I'd been playing a few hours a week, but managed to squeeze in about 4ish hours yesterday and this morning. Damn close to Paragon level 2.

It feels almost identical to Diablo 2 now, but polished. Although I'll always miss my Paladin.

Anyone who comes into an ARPG looking for a structured endgame came in for the wrong thing. I've always seen the end game as the gear hunt and attempts to make it exceptionally efficient to do find that gear.

I do, however, hope they implement ladders and ladder resets at some point. I think that would go a long way to providing additional playtime and interest.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    The quest for a worthy endgame is a large part of what ruins the game for me. I mean, more directly, it was the AH, but that is just one aspect of this issue. In general, the design is focused on the long-term player. Replayability is all well and good, and that's what D2LOD had doe so well, but there is a difference between a game with good replayability, and a game that must be replayed over and over to be successful. The game doesn't really begin until you've finished your first run through, and that's dumb. IMO, every game should have it's primary focus on playing through the story the first time. That should be a fun and rewarding experience. In Diablo 3, like in most MMOs, it's boring.

I'm pleased by the changes. I'd been playing a few hours a week, but managed to squeeze in about 4ish hours yesterday and this morning. Damn close to Paragon level 2.

It feels almost identical to Diablo 2 now, but polished. Although I'll always miss my Paladin.

Anyone who comes into an ARPG looking for a structured endgame came in for the wrong thing. I've always seen the end game as the gear hunt and attempts to make it exceptionally efficient to do find that gear.

I do, however, hope they implement ladders and ladder resets at some point. I think that would go a long way to providing additional playtime and interest.

Im interested in playing again now that the Paragon levels exist. This might open up the door for some build flexability with more baseline power to your character. That was my biggest issue with the game.
    MAGIC said:

Im interested in playing again now that the Paragon levels exist. This might open up the door for some build flexability with more baseline power to your character. That was my biggest issue with the game.

I'm hoping the same. I can imagine you can start sacrificing a few points in strength for other stats. I'd imagine that trying to get to Paragon 100 will be fun and halfway through you might be able to gem helms for +Exp.

They MIGHT implement seasons, however, they will definitely NOT be resets, or even level races: Patch 1.0.4 Interview with Jay Wilson. The question about ladder is the last question of the interview.
    I think Jay's comments about the race not working for Diablo 3 are a bit off. If you made it to Paragon 100, it might be more interesting.

That said, some sort of season needs to happen and it would be awesome. I see no reason why they couldn't "Silo" them like they did previously and then put them all into the general population. An AH and Level reset would be awesome, almost like a brand new launch with the current patch.
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    edited March 2014
    For anyone that's been away for a while the 2.01 patch has really changed things.

Better loot, faster leveling. No paragon cap. Fast travel on the map and to other players in your party. The whole game in general is a lot more fun.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    Agreed. I've had dozens of legendarys and set pieces drop in a week. Everything that drops has a high likelihood of having stats usable for the character that gets the loot - so, no more getting warrior gear while playing my mage. Even wep stats will have int in all probability, and not be super usable for your other toons (of course, multi chars use int and dex, I have had some gear go back and forth between my wizard and witch doctor. Additionally, drops are level apropriate - the down side to this being that it's tougher to gear up an alt.

Loot seems to be pretty random, I've had almost no legendarys off bosses. In Master difficulty, Azmodan gave me 5 blues lol. On the other hand, I almost ran by a corpse half hidden under a bush. Went back, clicked, boom legendary axe.

There are now TEN different difficulty levels. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/gameplay/game-difficulty

Also, while it's still open for a few more days, the auction houses (both gold and real money versions) are going away. I'm not sure how trading is going to work. Legendarys are generally account bound though can be traded to anyone that was in your party, for 2 hours before getting locked down.

Even smithing is better. Tons of patterns are dropping and, speaking generally, they have a pretty good chance of making usable gear.

They've also changed how some stats work. Your main character sheet now shows 'Toughness', which I haven't studied closely but seems to be an amalgamation of hit points, resistances, life regen, and so forth. You can still get all the detail stuff in the expanded character sheet.

It's made the game fun again.
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    keto said:

Loot seems to be pretty random, I've had almost no legendarys off bosses. In Master difficulty, Azmodan gave me 5 blues lol. On the other hand, I almost ran by a corpse half hidden under a bush. Went back, clicked, boom legendary axe.

Weird. I thought each boss was supposed to guarantee a legendary?

I started a fresh wizard and I've goten 5 or 6 equipped already up to act 3: (1) from the butcher, (2) from belial, and the rest from random drops.

Also on a sidenote, there is a +50% xp buff up until March 24th or so when RoS comes out.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    yeah loot 2.0 is much better.

you only get guaranteed legendaries from act bosses the first time you kill them.
    trooster89