Returning to Folding@Home in 2016

1234579

Comments

  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi

    @Gargoyle said:

    @Ryder said:
    *in-lb

    This kills the joke.

    are you sure? Maybe that is the joke.

  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI

    We saw a surge of activity last month but things have leveled out again.

    bells
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US

    @primesuspect said:
    We saw a surge of activity last month but things have leveled out again.

    I'm having stability issues related to AMDs horrible overdrive software. No offense, you know who. My 290x keeps reverting to an unstable overclock and crashing either windows or the F@H client. If a driver reinstall doesn't fix it, a 980ti might be inbound (against my better judgment to wait on next gen nVidia gear). Luckily it's an XFX card and I remembered to register it if it has to be RMAed. My PPD hopefully gets back to normal soon.

    _k
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1

    Are all of these stability issues our rig's fault or is it a faulty folding client? Not sure about resuming folding when I get my video card back.

  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US

    @BlackHawk said:
    Are all of these stability issues our rig's fault or is it a faulty folding client? Not sure about resuming folding when I get my video card back.

    My system was rock solid for a week before I decided to push my 290x.

  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI

    Yeah, I've never had a problem before I started Folding again. The problems always seem to be that the graphics driver stops responding, but I can't be mad at AMD, since this probably isn't how they intended their hardware to be used.

    So I just deal with it and get sad when I get into work in the morning and notice no points have been turned in for 12 hours.

  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares

    I had no problems until I upgraded my drivers (which I why I don't let them auto-update). I've only had one crash since then, though, so I'm not too concerned. Still, if you find a driver release that is stable with Folding, I wouldn't upgrade unless you're trying to fix a bug in a game.

    Sonorous
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA

    I moved and my PC was offline for 2 weeks.

  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US

    Both my systems are back to 100% stable. PPD should return to normal for me finally.

  • _k_k P-Town, Texas
    edited February 2016

    I just realized what it takes for remote control and reporting of clients from f@h control. Set-up the remote client with a password and configure the remote control section with a password as well. Then use "127.0.0.1, 0.0.0.0/0" under both Allowed text boxes; this will enable all IP ranges and is redundant but you can restrict it down. Second to last step is to add the client on your local FAHControl instance using the computer name(IP works in static environments) and the password you set on the remote clients.

    Last step is restart the remote client, I figured this out while installing updates that require reboots. My guess is the client doesn't check its config actively while alive and thus requires the restart. Haven't seen this listed in any material so I might be horribly wrong but this is how I got all my clients to accept connections.

    primesuspectSonorous
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA

    Please don't use 0.0.0.0/0. Look at your IP address, and then use 192.168.x.0/24 where X is matching your current IP address (if you have anything else setup, you know better already).

    Sonorous
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas
    edited March 2016

    Everyone should remember that we have a local PPD thread here. Instructions are simple use the v7 client, as everyone should be on it, and post your stable ppd for each slot. Make sure to provide CPU clock speed or GPU core/memory/shadder.

    GargSonorous
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO

    I seem to have some time so I will look into this. Note to mental dept. "Wake Up". I miss all the competition.

    primesuspectLincSonorousGarg
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US

    I have a failed PSU in the HTPC. My points will be cut in half until my budget allows for a replacement. Looks like I'll be upgrading my main rigs PSU sooner than I would have liked.

    primesuspect
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI

    The ambient temp in the home office is over 85; I tried folding and my PC shut down :( I guess I'll be having a points drop until the weather cools off a bit

  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US

    @primesuspect said:
    The ambient temp in the home office is over 85; I tried folding and my PC shut down :( I guess I'll be having a points drop until the weather cools off a bit

    You need this.

  • StackStack Sassy and short

    SonorousprimesuspectdrasnorBobbyDigi_k
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas
    edited June 2016

    @Sonorous said:

    @primesuspect said:
    The ambient temp in the home office is over 85; I tried folding and my PC shut down :( I guess I'll be having a points drop until the weather cools off a bit

    You need this.

    I haven't looked at one of those in years, wow.

    @primesuspect You should still be able to. Create a lower clock and under volt profile for your GPU. My house is roughly 84F during the summer.

  • @Sonorous said:

    @primesuspect said:
    The ambient temp in the home office is over 85; I tried folding and my PC shut down :( I guess I'll be having a points drop until the weather cools off a bit

    You need this.

    More like this

    Just encase the computer in cardboard... or plywood.... and stick that in there. Problem solved.

  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US

    All of my clients are back up. Should see the normal 500k or so back in the pool.

    We're working on upgrading our video editing system at work, so when I spec all that out and build it, should have two more quad cores and two GPUs in the 980ti range added.

    BlackHawkGarg
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI

    Welcome back @Kwitko folding as TylerDurden!

  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI

    Welcome @Massalinie to the team!

    Massalinie
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA

    Welcome back, @Kwitko!!! And thanks for starting up, @Massalinie!

    primesuspect
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas

    A love of attrition.

    F@h is something to have passion for. Across the years it won't consume very much of your time but it takes the will to continue on. Above is a simple example; my 7950 that I have quietly folding under my work desk stopped getting WUs due to failure of getting an assignment. The assignment server was actively refusing the connection. I poked the client a few times each day while it wasn't getting any work but knew I really just had to wait. Came in this morning and it was chugging along again, most likely lost 200k in points but thems the brakes.

    Just never stop because that is how they catch you.
    k
    Tushon -1 1.7 Months
    Sonorous -3 10.3 Months
    drasnor -2 2.8 Years
    DJ_The-Quickness -17 3 Years

    primesuspectSonorousQCHGarg
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI

    The LEGEND RETURNS! :D

  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA

    He's BACK!!!

  • Well that's curious... somehow adding a second CPU to my server (thus doubling the number of cores) led to a 2.5-3x increase in my PPD: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=461964

  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US

    @ardichoke said:
    Well that's curious... somehow adding a second CPU to my server (thus doubling the number of cores) led to a 2.5-3x increase in my PPD: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=461964

    Are you only folding on your CPU? It's recommended that if you have a GPU client folding, you should manually configure your clients to fold on all but 1 CPU core. So if you had your client set up for anything other than -1 in the CPU slot and GPU folding on as well, your added cores could have impacted your points from your GPU. If that's not the case, then I have no clue.

  • @Sonorous said:

    @ardichoke said:
    Well that's curious... somehow adding a second CPU to my server (thus doubling the number of cores) led to a 2.5-3x increase in my PPD: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=461964

    Are you only folding on your CPU? It's recommended that if you have a GPU client folding, you should manually configure your clients to fold on all but 1 CPU core. So if you had your client set up for anything other than -1 in the CPU slot and GPU folding on as well, your added cores could have impacted your points from your GPU. If that's not the case, then I have no clue.

    It's a server. I'm not GPU folding on it because it doesn't have a GPU capable of folding in it. Just the onboard server motherboard GPU.

Sign In or Register to comment.