Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    I do not wish to use canals at this point. It's like 5 blocks below ground, Ill use my ladder and walk. I have filled in some of the blocks in the "ally" so there is a wall next to my 11x11 space and water doesn't flow into it. I believe everyone should be responsible for the blocks under the paths directly touching their plot. Meaning fill it in or hollow it out. If you want to work out an agreement with your neighbor, all is good, some neighbors already have and have connected their basements which I think is awesome.

-Digi

Agreed
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    The canals/sewers were just built for fun. I just thought it would be cool to have them, to give our town a bit of a medieval or Ninja Turtles feel with connecting sewers to explore. If they ever pose a problem, we can just seal them up or something. Again, I was just having fun buildin' shit so it's cool either way. If you enjoy them, then sweet. :D
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I must mention Tony and Winfrey, They both graciously donated copious amounts of wood for fences and signs when setting up the new plots.

That's FUCKING TEAMWORK!

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    I must mention Tony and Winfrey, They both graciously donated copious amounts of wood for fences and signs when setting up the new plots.

Speaking of, I just filled in the cobblestone and roads, and fenced in 3 more plots to the South side of town (toward Turnip castle). I had plenty of wood left from clearing a valley and cobblestone from mining.

Get 'em while their hot!
  • TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited December 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:

That's FUCKING TEAMWORK!

-Digi

:rockon:

I'll have some track and such to contribute once I build up a stash.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I have stashes of cobblestone and dirt in DickKeep. They're inside the main room, to the left in the 2 large chests. If they're needed, just hoof it out there and grab them (it's a short walk from the spawn point, due North of the floating Cola). All I ask is that you leave at least 2 full stacks of each in my reserve.
    edited December 2010
    Tony, take a look at the Rail thread, they have a box for donations somewhere http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91407

Awesome of you to offer up your stuff Ardichoke though I would suggest having a private box and a public box to make sure someone doesn't grab what you want to save.

Keep an eye on my Farmers Market, I'll be offering up free fresh produce and foods. Currently offering free cactus to start your own cactus farm, disposal system (throwing an item at a cactus will destroy it, safer then lava!) or security use. If you need anything that the world has to offer, just let me know. I had a blast going out gathering yesterday and I can see myself doing it a lot more in the future so if there is anything you might want me to keep an eye out for I will do so.

Oh yes and the Community Message board is up in the Market. Feel free to stop by and post any announcements, needs/wants or even just a comment.

-Digi
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Oh yes and the Community Message board is up in the Market. Feel free to stop by and post any announcements, needs/wants or even just a comment.
    -Digi
    Hitman has christened the message board ;D
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I don't play Minecraft currently, but speaking of message board, maybe it might be a good idea to get a sub forum created on here (like Shattered Horizon, Left 4 Dead, TF2, etc. have) that can be used to organize conversations better (a thread for requested materials, a thread to manage city plots/expansions, etc.) instead of having one gigantic thread to have to sort through. :)
    edited December 2010
    That's... actually a very good idea. Is it possible for a forum admin to create a new sub forum, and then move all the MC-related threads into it? Maybe even get some industrious gentleman (or lady) to create a sticky using Thrax's first post? It needs to be updated slightly anyways, as some of the issues he listed in the first post have been fixed by now with updates and the removal of /warp, /kit, etc.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Ooh, Farmer's Market. Digi, you got any bamboo over there? Need to start working on my water features. :D
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Colgere wrote:
    instead of having one gigantic thread to have to sort through. :)

Yeah, I broke out the rail stuff, this thread's getting too multi-threaded.
    edited December 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Ooh, Farmer's Market. Digi, you got any bamboo over there? Need to start working on my water features. :D

Indeed I do. I will put some out tonight when I hop on, I'll drop a stack off at your place if you have a chest over there.

I am also for a sub-forum at this point. There are some posts I would like to create but did not want to flood the video game forum with Minecraft discussions.

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    Trading idea:

Instead of trying to put all of your messages, signing your name on signs, etc...

Just make a single chest with, say, Coal. And put a few signs above it for what you're willing to take for the coal.

COAL
    1:100 Cobblestone
    1:6 Cactus
    1:2 Wood

3:1 Iron
    20:1 Gold
    30:1 Diamond
    40:1 Obsidian

etc etc. The way you guys are communicating for trading is such a cluster I don't even know what you want any more :)
    edited December 2010
    Just make a single chest with, say, Coal. And put a few signs above it for what you're willing to take for the coal.

COAL
    1:6 Cactus
    3:1 Iron
    20:1 Gold

I agree, that's an awesome idea. Also, if you have room on your sign, you may want to add on it what's in the chest. As people start swapping out and leaving behind other things, it may become unclear what exactly is up for trade. So, a sign might say...

COAL for trade
    1:6 Cactus (one coal for 6 cactus)
    20:1 Diamond (20 coal may be taken for 1 diamond)

If you want all 4 lines for trade options, just make sure to put what you're trading on the LEFT side of the chest, and those who are trading put what they deposit as payment on the RIGHT. Or just use 2+ signs stacked vertically, that would work too.

That way, once all the items that are up for trade are exhausted, there should be the various bits of loot that was deposited on one side.

Does that sound good to everyone?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    We could choose one resource type that isn't really used for anything else, but also isn't super abundant, like gold, and make that our base currency, then endeavor to do our trading in gold bars.

An economy will develop itself once a currency is established.
    edited December 2010
    I kind of like the gold-as-currency idea. Or even some form of the "copper-silver-gold-platinum" money system a lot of fantasy RPGs seem to have these days. In this case, it may be coal-iron-gold-diamond. I wonder if Notch will add coins someday. Like a gold ingot bar can be broken up into 10 Gold Coins or something.

Of course, everyone is free to do whatever. Barter, use currency, go fucking nuts. :D
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    UPS Hitman wrote:
    INDEED BOBBY!!! That was so much fun. It would have been better if I hadn't fallen to my death in the end tho. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Hah, we totally claimed that mountain that you died on too :D
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    I agree, that's an awesome idea. Also, if you have room on your sign, you may want to add on it what's in the chest.

Yeah, wha'd I say? :P (That's why mine said 'COAL')

and obviously, if you're working in the coal chest, things that aren't coal aren't available to you, they're the profits of the coal owner. no need to try and standardize an intra-chest-divided system that will only lead to more complaining and QQing ;)
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    I kind of like the gold-as-currency idea. Or even some form of the "copper-silver-gold-platinum" money system a lot of fantasy RPGs seem to have these days. In this case, it may be coal-iron-gold-diamond. I wonder if Notch will add coins someday. Like a gold ingot bar can be broken up into 10 Gold Coins or something.

Of course, everyone is free to do whatever. Barter, use currency, go fucking nuts. :D

I kinda like the idea of not trying to announce a standard gold-based economy. I can compete with other coal-based people, or try to find advantages in cross-economy trade (as in international trading IRL)
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I kinda like the idea of not trying to announce a standard gold-based economy. I can compete with other coal-based people, or try to find advantages in cross-economy trade (as in international trading IRL)

I could be wrong, but I think he was simply saying that there should be a standard relation between copper : silver : gold : platinum

Beyond that, no fixed prices on other things.

I could be wrong though.
    edited December 2010
    _K has already setup a trade post (1st floor of his house) that has had multiple successful trades. For example I put a stack of 64 books in the chest and put the sign above it stating I am offering 2 books for 1 Wool, a day later there was 32 wool in the chest and the sign had been changed to reflect the trade was completed. I think K has established a good way of trading. If others want to have trade chests setup at their house that is fine but I like the idea of them all being in one place so you can see what is up for trade all in one place as apposed to walking into everyone's house trying to find their trade chest.

I am interested to see how an economy presents itself but I am also all for the community. Digi's Farmers Market will always be free. If you want to donate to the cause, I am more then happy to accept donations of any materials you may have an abundance of, I may use some for personal use but most likely give the majority back to the community.

Also a note to the Atlantis builders. Joe was awesome enough to claim the sand that was excavated while building the Town for you guys. There is a chest in Town Square at least 1/2 full of sand. If you could take what you guys need so we can further use that chest as a community donation site. If anyone has an abundance of anything they are willing to share for community use/projects, they can simply put it in that chest.

If a community project is starting and materials are needing to be collected, one idea is to post it up on the Message board that so-n-so is planning X and is collecting Y in a chest at Z.

-Digi
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    The trading post was set up so you could leave stuff out for trade and you didn't have to do the leg work. As well as you can come talk to me what you are looking for and we can barter, I am trying to keep several things in stock(listed out front).

I didn't try and create a standard or some kind of conversion between items because I wanted to see what the community picked at the default scale instead of trying to impose something. I am investing in brick because clay is hard to find but groups of it yield several stacks; then it can be cast into bricks and blocks of bricks so there is an internal scale of value and the stacks are shrinkable. The same thing can be done with iron, gold, and diamond.

The real concept I would like to see evolve is that some people find different things in different quantities when they mine. So if cola can make a huge amount of obsidian but can't find red dust easily he can trade that away and actions like these will dictate the market scale instead of picking a rare material. More of how companies build in a certain market. This allows for better community involvement and dickery since you can force the market or people can band together and destroy someone's monopoly on an item.
    edited December 2010
    You all have the right ideas. K's trading house is an ideal central location for trading, so I will use that personally as well. Bobby's free Farmer's Market is also an awesome idea. Plus, I was hoping the "Community Chest" would get some use, so like Bobby said, if you have extra items you're just starting to throw away, drop them here instead. :D

As for value of items, like real life, people value things differently. I don't think value relations were being set in stone or even implied to be set... so everyone should just set their own "prices". For example, coal is very important to me since I'm a torch whore (so I'll be visiting Cola's house often), but I don't use iron for a lot so I'll probably trade that away for coal.

Edit: Also, if K's trading room fills to capacity, we could use a new plot to make a multi-story shopping mall. Haha, it could even have districts, like 4th floor is rare minerals, 3rd floor is tools/equipment, 2nd is food, etc.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Hitman has christened the message board ;D

by what do you mean ryder ????? :rolleyes:
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    UPS Hitman wrote:
    by what do you mean ryder ????? :rolleyes:
    S.W.E.D.
    edited December 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    S.W.E.D.

:rockon:
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Hey hey
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Colgere wrote:
    it might be a good idea to get a sub forum created on here
    Bandrik wrote:
    Is it possible for a forum admin to create a new sub forum, and then move all the MC-related threads into it?
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    I am also for a sub-forum at this point.
    :bucket:
    edited December 2010
    It.... It's so beautiful!

-Digi
This discussion has been closed.