Official Icrontic Minecraft Server

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Pacifisto wrote:
    This is the best thing.

Went to grab a plot but they're all taken - and someone doesn't want icrontictown to extend over their undeveloped desert with torches? (I think you can spare 22 meters of nothingness to add 8-10 new plots on icrontictown, yes?)
  • TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited December 2010
    Oh I'm fully in favor of performace vs maps and whatnot.

That said, I'd be more than happy to run Overviewer or Tectonicus on my home machine, and put the files online for everyone, if someone can send me a copy of the latest backup. That way we could have the the safety of backups but without the performance hit of the rendering of the map. The map would be slightly behind the live world, but that's not a biggie IMHO.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Went to grab a plot but they're all taken - and someone doesn't want icrontictown to extend over their undeveloped desert with torches? (I think you can spare 22 meters of nothingness to add 8-10 new plots on icrontictown, yes?)

The east side of town only needs 3-4 more rows added to add at least 4 more plots. South (I think) goes out to the water and would also only require some rows being added. If no one addresses this by tonight I will hop on and map out some more plots, if you are not on at the time Ill claim a good one for ya TT.

-Digi
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    For what it's worth, the LRR setup implements map output and backup without killing the server. There's a text warning that prepares users for the backup, and then it does its business. There's a three second window where anything you build will not remain, but to the players, they don't even notice. Every bit is fully automated and seamless. I don't know what mod's they're using, but it's pretty slick. And, it isn't run by LRR themselves. A few users from their forums set it up, so they're not running the thing on ultimate hardware or anything like that - they're like us.

That being said, we don't need hourly backups and maps. At most, I think a 12 hour backup is fine. We don't need maps every day.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I think the backup frequency should just be determined by load effects. If we can do hourly backups with only a 3-4 second interruption, we should. If it requires a take-down of the server, then the longer period is merited.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Remember, the number of hours between backups is the number of hours an individual (or group) can lose if something happens, so if backups don't affect gameplay much more than a few seconds of interruption, they should be as frequent as possible (in my opinion, of course).

I'm with Tushon on this one -- it should be dependent on the effects on players. But Thrax has made a good point before too: the worlds are split into hundreds or even thousands of tiny files, which makes backing up and migrating a bit of a pain in the ass.

12-hour backups would make a good compromise between too frequent and just enough. 24-hour ones at ass-o'clock in the morning at minimum.

Oh, and on maps, since they become big files, I think that twice a week would be fine. Once a week at minimum, if at all possible.

Of course, I can't stress this enough: these are just requests and suggestions, not demands.

Edit: come to think of it, next time one of the LRR server users is on, could you ask the admins if they know what backup and mapping solution they use? There may be a mod or system available that optimizes how backups are made to minimize strain. If you could ask about it, that would be awesome. Thanks!
    edited December 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    The east side of town only needs 3-4 more rows added to add at least 4 more plots. South (I think) goes out to the water and would also only require some rows being added. If no one addresses this by tonight I will hop on and map out some more plots, if you are not on at the time Ill claim a good one for ya TT.

-Digi

cool. Need to go mine for a bit, I'm currently our of cobblestone (what?)

(Got a little too aggressive making furnaces)
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    Edit: come to think of it, next time one of the LRR server users is on, could you ask the admins if they know what backup and mapping solution they use? There may be a mod or system available that optimizes how backups are made to minimize strain. If you could ask about it, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Was going to suggest this as well. If we've got a few people on this server and it works well, ask them what they're doing
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Just a friendly reminder that your 5am isn't everybody's 5am. :)
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Hokay... so... I've scaled back the hardware I was planning to use to build my new personal server. The new revision has a much more realistic price tag. I'm probably going to actually order this hardware sometime in January in fact. Now then, I know both ADG and Ryder don't have a problem hosting this out of their home... but wouldn't we rather have a nice beefy server running our world? One that is hosted in a real professional data center with big fat pipe to the outside world?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16366766

This is what I'm planning on building. Once I have it up and running, I'm more than willing to host the Icrontinent.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    wouldn't we rather have a nice beefy big fat pipe

That's what she said.

Anyway. I like that idea, too. Consumer-grade broadband is great, but having real, stable bandwidth would be even better.
    edited December 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    wouldn't we rather have a nice beefy big fat pipe

I think we would, and we'd use that pipe to SMOKE WEED EVERY DAY!!

Er, I mean, yes I'm liking the idea of a dedicated server with ample amounts of bandwidth. Since the internet is a giant series of tubes, I think having the fattest of the pipes could certainly help the cause for even less lag for more players, and allow more seamless backups/mapping.
    edited December 2010
    Tech shows up at Ryders place, "Lag in Minecraft eh?

228cf967-6f39-45da-8226-2785299cc441.jpg
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:

-Digi

I picked my spot specifically because it was on the water, (and I'm sure the others might have as well) so if we expand more plots can we do so parallel to the shore, rather than adding on out into the water? Just saying.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2010

(Got a little too aggressive making furnaces)

Ask CB about being too aggressive with furnaces.
    edited December 2010
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    if we expand more plots can we do so parallel to the shore, rather than adding on out into the water?

We can try, but we may have to expand towards the water eventually. The ocean view is nice for a few people, but the town can only go so far toward Turnip Castle, etc. Towards the ocean is the only direction that doesn't cut into someone's land for sure.

My opinion is that the town should expand out evenly in all directions so that the fountain remains the center of the town, since it was originally designated to be that way when we built it.

Not exactly a good solution, but if we do decide to build out a row towards the ocean, you could always abandon your spot and re-build on a new plot that opens on the ocean. Our plots are small, so re-building a 11x11 house shouldn't take long assuming you didn't use tons of obsidian (like Cola's).
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I am going to ask the people who have territory around the city to some time before the end of this weekend go and put up markers where they want their claim to stop. This will let us know exactly how much land the city can expand into. My baby she wants to grow.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    Our plots are small, so re-building a 11x11 house shouldn't take long assuming you didn't use tons of obsidian (like Cola's).
    Or an eleventy teen tall building like Hitman's :wtf:
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Speaking of insanely tall towers, shouldn't there be some reasonable height cap for the town?
    edited December 2010
    Inner ring including corners is 12 plots, these are all taken up. If we expand another row in every direction this would add 20 more plots. I think this should be the goal. East is almost ready for this. North (back towards spawn) would take some clearing but is very possible and also depends on the rail station going over there. South is the water. West I cant picture what is over there but nothing has been built as for as I remember.

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    pragtastic wrote:
    Speaking of insanely tall towers, shouldn't there be some reasonable height cap for the town?
    Bandrik wrote:
    You can also build above and below your lot - build to the sky or the bedrock if you really desire, though keep in mind that things may look ugly if everyone has 64-block tall skyscrapers that block the view of each other's creations. You're free to do whatever you want on your land, but consider just building 4-5 stories max up (you can always build a huge dicktower somewhere else on your own private estate. Just ask Cola, lol)....

Hitman may not read the forum often enough.

Edit to add: I was simply pointing out that it had been mentioned and Hitman may not have seen it. I don't give a crap what anyone does with their plot. Long as I have my 11x11x∞.

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    Since everyone is building for themselves but there is still some interest in the town, I demand we follow my idea.

We take the land west of the space ship and mark it off as the town. Put up a wall and gates at the cardinal directions. Then we have a fixed plot size of 20x20 that you can fence off and build in whatever you want, except the very center where we have a community fountain is off limits because the buildings touching this center area are for community buildings like banks, stores, and toy stores. The rules are nothing can be built in the cities air space and you own the air above your plot as well as directly below, there are 1 block buffers between plots to allow for fences.

I think all of you don't read enough. The actual concept until today was you get ground and air rights to your plot.

EDIT: when people do trades please put your name on the sign so you know who to tell the trade is done. When you do the trade mark the sign completed and what is suppose to be in the box.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik quote:

We discussed some rules and stuff as we built everything. It's all flexible so whatever, but here's a summary:
    • We all get roughly 11x11 square plots bordered by fences/roads
    • Build up, and you can build down as much as you want
    • The plots bordering the central fountain are public spaces
    • Don't be a dick (unless you're Cola)
    • If all spaces are claimed, we can start expanding out in city blocks
    So what are you waiting for? Get your asses in here and help make Icrontiville awesome!

end of discussion I followed these rules the second bullet points CLEARLY says "Build up, and you can build down as much as you want" I stayed in my bondaurys and this is what I was told when I got on. So sorry if it broke some unwritten rules just got to deal with it now i guess.

Hitman
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    I think all of you don't read enough. The actual concept until today was you get ground and air rights to your plot.

Despite this, I think that Lynx's tree has to be moved out of town (or modified somehow. It's currently a monster factory. I had to repair CB's House of Furnaces three times today from falling, exploding tree-creepers. :/
    edited December 2010
    put some torches up in that thing. put fences around the edges of the leaves
    edited December 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    EDIT: when people do trades please put your name on the sign so you know who to tell the trade is done. When you do the trade mark the sign completed and what is suppose to be in the box.

I thought about that after I put my request in. The box asking for feathers and offering string is mine.
    edited December 2010
    I traded you, feathers are in the box.
    edited December 2010
    sweet. Now to see if this thingamajig will craft.

Edit: That answers that question. Now I need to figure out how to load Java on it.
    edited December 2010
    UPS Hitman wrote:
    end of discussion I followed these rules the second bullet points CLEARLY says "Build up, and you can build down as much as you want" I stayed in my bondaurys and this is what I was told when I got on. So sorry if it broke some unwritten rules just got to deal with it now i guess.

Hitman, come on, you don't need get all offensive/defensive. I said the "rules" were flexible. I just wrote down what we (the founders/builders) talked about as we laid out the starting plots. It wasn't like it was a code of law or constitution. If you want to get technical, there's still rule #4: "don't be a dick", meaning to be considerate of others. Just because you can build to the stars, doesn't mean you should.

We never really discussed to great lengths of a ceiling cap. We just figured we'd all build little houses for fun, not skyscrapers.

Ultimately it's not a huge deal, but if there is a call to add a ceiling cap to our houses, I'll add my vote to it. Maybe we could grandfather Hitman's tower if it passes, I don't know.

As for creepers spawning from trees, that can indeed happen since treetops don't get enough light from ground torches. Just put one torch on top of every small tree and it won't happen again. If anyone has TALL trees with branches, just distribute torches as needed.

Finally, remember to put torches around your house and on top. Any square left even just dimly lit and not brightened is a place for creepers to drop in from.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    What vote and who made you a "founder" Frankly I am getting a tad annoyed by your "founderness" I DID NOT build it to be a dick I built it because it was within the rules. This server is getting WAYYY too political and its taking all the fun out of it. So don't politely say I am being a dick cuz with your rule #4 comment, that really gets under my skin!
This discussion has been closed.