If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much

Comments

• edited Nov 2011
    How do you become pony?
  • colacola the dick man himself Right behind you Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Richard Halpert said:
    Man, bronies are just a bunch of pedophiles. I warn you not to let them near children.
    Whatadick
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Awww too bad. I've let several bronies around my children. I guess I'm a bad father.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Richard Halpert said:
    Man, bronies are just a bunch of pedophiles. I warn you not to let them near children.
    In psychology, I believe this is called projection.

http://www.wikicedia.net/wiki/Richard_Halpert
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    edited Nov 2011
    Sdaerf said:
    How do you become pony?
    GET OUT THIS IS NO 4CHAN THREAD!!! JK but seriously.:range:
  • edited Nov 2011
    primesuspect, yes you are a bad parent, those bronies most likely molested your kids.
    edited Nov 2011
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Richard Halpert said:
    But... but what if the children are in turn also bronies? Are infants now at risk of devious brony children? Or does it reverse over the generation timeline and put the elderly at risk?

I also secretly fear that my cat is a brony and will paw at me... unappropritly... in my sleep. This sickens me.

Mr. Halpert... I don't know what to do. Halp!
  • edited Nov 2011
    Children cannot be bronies, only 20+ year old men with an obsession over a little girls show can be. Also cats cannot be bronies because cats have good taste in TV shows.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011

I'm honored that you have come to enlighten us Mr. Halpert.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek IREEELAND Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    This just in - Scootaloo is a chicken.
    edited Nov 2011
    Basil, Cola and I are frigging DYING at that picture. Nice one.
  • edited Nov 2011
    Please heed my warning before it's too late.
  • edited Nov 2011
    Please, before it's to late. He must destroy this menace.
    edited Nov 2011
    can't stop won't stop.
    edited Nov 2011
    Richard Halpert said:
    Richard Halpert said:
    ^Dude just can't handle it.

Can't accept the magic of friendship into his heart.

Oh what a sad and lonely existence it must be.

Deal with it.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Stop feeding troll plz.
  • edited Nov 2011
    Pony fandom is best fandom.
  • AnnesAnnes Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    JUST TAKE THE ROOFIE!
    edited Nov 2011
    Richard Halpert said:
    primesuspect, yes you are a bad parent, those bronies most likely molested your kids.
    Richard Halpert said:
    Children cannot be bronies, only 20+ year old men with an obsession over a little girls show can be. Also cats cannot be bronies because cats have good taste in TV shows.
    Richard Halpert said:
    Richard Halpert said:
    Obvious troll is obvious.

Also when I first joined in on this thread I was listening to this
    BLAM
    |
    V

but now I feel bad because it feels like it was an insult to my friends :'C
    edited Nov 2011
    Annes said:
    JUST TAKE THE ROOFIE!
    Oh Lord, he's right.

Welp, party's over.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Richard Halpert said:

• edited Nov 2011
    Hey, I warned you. When bronies start molesting kids everywhere it will be your own fault. They're nothing but a bunch of socially inept child molesters.
    edited Nov 2011
    Richard Halpert said:
    Hey, I warned you. When bronies start molesting kids everywhere it will be your own fault. They're nothing but a bunch of socially inept child molesters.

DEAL WITH IT
  • edited Nov 2011
    Why should I have to deal with accepting child molesters. Maybe you should stop touching little kids.
    edited Nov 2011

And on a related noteimage
    edited Nov 2011
    1381.jpg
    1 x 1 - 6K
    applejack haters gonna hate.gif
    1 x 1 - 385K
  • AnnesAnnes Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Ok, I'm over this joke. *yawn*

Can we head on to the next one now?
    edited Nov 2011
    srsly, stop feeding troll plz.
  • edited Nov 2011
    I've only recently joined the 'Brony' herd thanks largely to a group of friends who bet me five bucks that I couldn't sit through an entire episode.

So they started me on episode 16 (Sonic Rainboom) and needless to say almost 5 minutes in I was hooked or hoofed whatever you want to call it.

Now to my point :P

This article is brilliant and it amazes me to find out how far the MLP:FiM fanbase extends past simply watching the show, I just have no idea where to start now that I've watched up to the latest episode.

Also I agree Rainbow Dash is best pony!
    edited Nov 2011
    Alright, SO! I was working on a flash based timeline for history but it was tardy! So what I decided (knowing my history prof was pretty chill) was I laced the project with "I'll/I'm tardy" quotes from episode 3 of season two. Needless to say he got all the references and later in the week showed it to class! (This was an extra curricular class as well so the teachers are normally quite uptight)
  • edited Nov 2011
    @TheAlertHusky

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

...Now if I can just learn how to work these post things properly.
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    AHA finally...sorry for the double post I just have no idea how to delete those old posts and I only just now figured out how to PROPERLY reply on this forum :P
    edited Nov 2011
    Ilriyas said:
    AHA finally...sorry for the double post I just have no idea how to delete those old posts and I only just now figured out how to PROPERLY reply on this forum :P
    Oh hello again friend, and you got this, the double posting problem happens to everyone so worry not. We're quite accepting here so yeah. Eh
    edited Nov 2011
    Ilriyas said:
    Don't worry, double posts happen. Welcome to the herd, Ilriyas!
    edited Nov 2011
    Glad you enjoyed the article Ilriyas. Welcome to Icrontic!
  • edited Nov 2011
    Thanks for the article UPSLynx. Although MLP *isnt* my type of show, now I know that Faust actually made it(One of my fave creators when I was a bit younger.) I might get into the series itself. I'll stop being a Pony hater, although I'll keep away from the fanboys. :D
    edited Nov 2011
    I like the show, but the fandom scares the shit out of me, KonVeger. I understand what you mean.
  • edited Nov 2011
    If you don't like MLP. Well. You're lose. You don't know what you're missing. The fandom is the best thing ever. I have only been a fan for 2 months. Never watched it before then... I was like many others.. But when I watched it, I fell in love with it. The community with its artwork, music videos, and everything else is amazing. Never before have I seen a community like this, unless you are counting a Star Trek or Star Wars fans. I am a 25 year old Brony.. I am also a Trekkie. I am also straight... Deal with it.
  • IlriyasIlriyas Magician, Sunbro, Grossly Incandescent Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Flutterjuice said:
    If you don't like MLP. Well. You're lose. You don't know what you're missing. The fandom is the best thing ever. I have only been a fan for 2 months. Never watched it before then... I was like many others.. But when I watched it, I fell in love with it. The community with its artwork, music videos, and everything else is amazing. Never before have I seen a community like this, unless you are counting a Star Trek or Star Wars fans. I am a 25 year old Brony.. I am also a Trekkie. I am also straight... Deal with it.
    We've got our own MLP subforum mate, join up!
    edited Nov 2011
    Flutterjuice said:

I agree with Ilriyas on this one, you should definitely join the pony subforum. It's actually a pretty good one (As in you won't find creepy junk).

But I'm also going to agree with Prime, only partially though. Most of the fanbase scares the life outta me but some of it is quite good.

So to Prime, check out some of the fans like "RainbowCrash88" and "ManeSixDev" (Both youtube channels of the makers and musical artists of the new fighting game).

And back to the guest: Check out some of the firefly fans, they are incredible communities to be a part of. Better than the Trekkies (No offense implied) and the Starwarsians but not as good as some of the Bronys and Pegi-sisters (I think that's right, correct me if I'm wrong).

Further more, (Still at the guest) Are you implying that we are not straight?
    edited Nov 2011
    TheAlertHusky said:
    Further more, (Still at the guest) Are you implying that we are not straight?
    LOL I was sort of ignoring that part.
    edited Nov 2011
    Ilriyas said:
    LOL I was sort of ignoring that part.
    I was trying to but I just couldn't any do it any longer. It bugs me to no end when people assume that we're all gay or that they're super special for being a straight brony.
    edited Nov 2011
    TheAlertHusky said:
    I was trying to but I just couldn't any do it any longer. It bugs me to no end when people assume that we're all gay or that they're super special for being a straight brony.
    I never thought of being a 'straight' brony as anything special. Honestly I don't understand why people make the assumption in the first place simply because the title is My Little Pony. It's a damn good show and really anyone can enjoy it for a variety of reasons.
    edited Nov 2011
    Ilriyas said:
    I never thought of being a 'straight' brony as anything special. Honestly I don't understand why people make the assumption in the first place simply because the title is My Little Pony. It's a damn good show and really anyone can enjoy it for a variety of reasons.
    EXACTLY! I don't see why it's such a big deal! And they say our community is frightening? Check out any other tv shows fandom, shit can get weird! (Was going to post a link but it isn't appropriate)

I'm posting this everywhere so yah. Here yah go: http://americancensorship.org/
    edited Nov 2011
    I think it's just rabid "fandom" in general that scares people. Any fandom; trekkies, star wars, bronies, anime, you name it.

See, the problem with fandoms is that often, the people are so completely and narrowly focused on nothing BUT the fandom that they have no social skills or interests OUTSIDE of said fandom. It's one thing to be a well-rounded person with a lot of different hobbies and interests, but often people who are obsessively involved with a particular fandom ARE socially awkward in any situation that is out of context of their fandom.

I'm not saying that about anybody here; just an observation.
    edited Nov 2011
    I see prime's point. Fandoms can be cool and all with all the user-created content and subcultures and all that trollaliciously delicious jazz. But when individuals get super-obsessed with a particular fandom that they lose sight of everything outside of the scope of the fandom... then it just gets plain creepy.

While it's definitely not the rule and there are some exceptions, I'm mostly talking about "that anime kid" who worships some anime girl or seriously thinks their a reincarnation of FFVII's Cloud or some shit. Or furries that only associate and hang out with other furries, eschewing "mundane" people to excuse their lack of social abilities. And don't get me started on mythical "I'm a dragon on the inside" otherkin.

Point is: exclusively obsessing over a single fandom of any kind is bad, mmkay. Fortunately, I don't think bronies do this. I'm sure some do, but it's a casual enough of a thing that I can't imagine the group at large to be full of "pony in spirit" or worshipers of Princess Celestia, the True Messiah or something equally bizarre.

...and now comes the part where someone proves me wrong...

...and I die a little (more) on the inside...
  • edited Nov 2011
    >I’ve never seen a group of people rise around something and create content to the extent that the My Little Pony fanbase does.

You've never seen Touhou, then.
    It's a series of bullet hell shooters make independently by one person alone, but you wouldn't believe that if you searched it on Youtube.
    edited Nov 2011
    Heh, my example was going to be a Trekky who went out of their way to learn Klingon and whatever other crazy languages exist in that show or possibly an LOTR fan who has taught themselves to speak Elven and wears a cloak.