If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Introducing the new ICHQ

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    Today we got the news the boiler may be completely shot. Going to have to make a decision between costly repairs ($1000 just to buy initial parts with no guarantee it will be enough) or uber-costly replacement ($9000 installed). I'm leaning towards the latter but who knows. That doesn't include repairs to the radiator system if any are needed. Bleh.

Only upside is that we'd get a super-efficient replacement that would double as a water heater, which would essentially make hot water free forever. Good investment, just a shot to the nuts in upfront costs.
    Well, what guarantee would the new boiler come with? Good quality ones come with a 10-15 year warranty in Metamora area. I would plan on replacing, and not waste money on repairs unless you absolutely HAVE to.

My brother did repair route, ended up spending half the cost of a new boiler in parts alone in one year (boiler was ancient, parts hard to come by) and days freezing himself in a semi-crawl-space (half-basement reached by a crawl space) with a work light for light. He ended up with a new boiler anyway, two years later. Just some perspective.

John.

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    I know upfront funds are huge obstacle, but you are gonna save a metric fuckton in the long run if you go with the newer model.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Feb 2012
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Today we got the news the boiler may be completely shot. Going to have to make a decision between costly repairs ($1000 just to buy initial parts with no guarantee it will be enough) or uber-costly replacement ($9000 installed). I'm leaning towards the latter but who knows. That doesn't include repairs to the radiator system if any are needed. Bleh.

Only upside is that we'd get a super-efficient replacement that would double as a water heater, which would essentially make hot water free forever. Good investment, just a shot to the nuts in upfront costs.
    not to LOL in your face, because this is your first house purchase, but $9k is dirt cheap when it comes to house renovations/repairs

I've seen bathroom remodels cost $30k. I highly suggest not doing anything half-assed on a house you love.
    There's a difference between $30K for a bathroom renovation (having a nice new bathroom isn't a requirement for occupancy) and a single huge cash outlay for a critical component.
    Well, what guarantee would the new boiler come with? Good quality ones come with a 10-15 year warranty in Metamora area. I would plan on replacing, and not waste money on repairs unless you absolutely HAVE to.
    I was talking to the contractor and he mentioned that some units have lifetime warranties.
  • LincLinc Community Instigator Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I've seen bathroom remodels cost $30k.
    So then you doubly understand why this is problematic when my budget is less than that for the entire move-in project. Not suggesting I have a clue what I'm doing or that I don't deserve a pile of expensive problems. Just saying... I dunno, this sucks? I'm probably in trouble? *shrug* Not worked up over it. We'll figure it out.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian

So then you doubly understand why this is problematic when my budget is less than that for the entire move-in project. Not suggesting I have a clue what I'm doing or that I don't deserve a pile of expensive problems. Just saying... I dunno, this sucks? I'm probably in trouble? *shrug* Not worked up over it. We'll figure it out.
    I can understand this also.

Lessee.... 6 months to move in from about a week or two ago or so? And that will be 5-7 months BEFORE next winter is deeply set in, if the polar thing does not give Detroit another warm winter compared to many years in past(If you get another warm winter, here is an old ex-northerner trick to keep pipes from freezing-- simply trickle warm water through pipes continuously.). So, do you have to have working heating to move in/get occupancy permit, or just hot water?

John.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    I've seen bathroom remodels cost $30k.

completely understand. very impressed you jumped out of the plane before checking the parachute.

guess my point is, spending $1k now just means $more$ later. i understand the stress of having to get the house ready in a soon-ish manner. but there is truth to doing things right the first time.

i will say you bit off more than you can chew, although with this community you will still be standing at the end of it. maybe on a crutch, but standing

you got balls Matt, no doubting that now. just remember to breathe
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    I'd honestly bite the bullet now, because the idea of not having to pay the cost for a water heater is awesome. I know ours (came with the house and I'm not sure there's a cheaper model) runs around $400/year in electric cost alone. That adds up in a hurry.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited Feb 2012
    We installed an on-demand HWH. Best. Decision. Ever.
    This is my HWH: http://bit.ly/AahIRx
    This is my boiler: http://bit.ly/wiHZHz

Both are wall-mounted.
    We're at 45% of the pledge goal today :)
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen Giggles Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    So who wants to help me pay to name Lincoln's room "The Queen's Room"? >:D
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    We installed an on-demand HWH. Best. Decision. Ever.
    This is my HWH: http://bit.ly/AahIRx
    This is my boiler: http://bit.ly/wiHZHz

Both are wall-mounted.
    How much did you pay for that w/ installation? I'm starting to think my old water heater should be replaced. on-demand seems to be the best option (without putting a solar water heater on the roof that is).

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    OnDemand is great. In the long run, it will likely save you money even with a huge initial outlay. We spend so much money on keeping 40+ gallons of water hot while we're away, it's a ridiculous concept, particularly in light of the technology we have today.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Member
    Very nice looking house. Looks pretty similar to the style I wanted for my dream home when I got bored on AutoCAD for about 50 hours.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Every time I see pictures of the house I become more convinced that this is my absolute favorite design. Definitely looking forward to coming out there and working on it!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited Feb 2012

How much did you pay for that w/ installation?
    I think it was around $2000. I'm not entirely sure because it was part of the whole renovation cost. The boiler was $1200 online and around $2000 additional for parts and installation.

How much did you pay for that w/ installation?

I think it was around $2000. I'm not entirely sure because it was part of the whole renovation cost. The boiler was $1200 online and around $2000 additional for parts and installation.

Around 2000 for the HWH? My house has forced air heat, so a boiler wouldn't be helpful. My old tank water heater is what I'd like to replace though.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited Feb 2012
    Without knowing financials, and without knowing debt…. IMHO you should have a plan for some form of credit to help you with the big stuff. You are going to have to go into debt for the repairs; out of pocket is just not going to cut it bro. I would consider new but don't go for broke, consider all options and from multiple sources.

You’re on the right path, but you all are going to have to pull on your big boy pants and cut out the extras. Home ownership is not easy, it’s an all or nothing situation.
    Zuntar, I've been a homeowner since 1997, I'm not exactly a spring chicken in this game ;)
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    It's actually not that difficult to manage home improvements and repairs without credit.

We did our entire basement (about $3500) entirely with cash.

Took careful planning, but we managed to finish on time and within budget.
  • MAGICMAGIC Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Have you gotten a modern furnace system quoted?
    From what I can see, the house isn't ducted, which would be a OMFGHUGE additional expense. Replacing the in-place hot water system (which could be used for both heating and hot tap water) would be much more economical than trying to retrofit the house for ducting.
  • MAGICMAGIC Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited Feb 2012
    Im just thinking that a 120k btu furnace is about 2k new. Ducting would be a damn lot of work, but can be done. Ducting/forced air heating is something that a sensical amature can do. A boiler/hot water system requires a fair bit of expertise to repair or install.
    We're not ducting for forced air. That's not an option that's on the table right now. When we have a modern and efficient boiler, the radiant heat system will be awesome.
    Truth. My mom & stepdad went with baseboard hot water in their house up north. SO MUCH BETTER THAN FORCED AIR.

For one, the humidity difference is insane. They can keep their house at around 63-66 in the winter and its perfectly comfortable because the air isn't bone dry. For reference, this is about 30 miles north of Harbor Springs.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    I could not imagine even trying to duct a house as solid as that. Plaster walls are not your typical drywall. I would think the end price of trying to do forced air heat would be very expensive in a house that size. Better off leaving current system in place with the upgrades.

I definitely also agree with the humidity difference. This is the first winter I've lived somewhere with radiant heat, and my skin isn't dry at all. I notice a big difference at work versus at home. My face feels better, and I haven't even really used lotion at all, either. Also better for your plants and your pets, and breathing at night. And if you get any colds.
    I kinda love the radiators, I'm not gonna lie.

Waiting on more information about the state of the overall radiator system before I make a final decision and move on the boiler.
    +1 for hot water heat being awesome. My parents also have baseboard water heat in their house. Way less expensive to run (from what they've told me) and definitely more comfortable.
    It's actually not that difficult to manage home improvements and repairs without credit.

We did our entire basement (about $3500) entirely with cash.

Took careful planning, but we managed to finish on time and within budget.
    True, but they "have a long way to go and short time to get there"

@primesuspect 10-4 Bro, just worry about you guys.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

True, but they "have a long way to go and short time to get there"

@primesuspect 10-4 Bro, just worry about you guys.
    We're actually content to do far less than most would to move in. For instance, I don't expect us to have painted walls, a ceiling in the kitchen, or several other things like that when we move in. The missing-critical components are surprisingly few, all things considered.
    WE HAVE POWER.
  • JokkeJokke Nuvsvaag, Norway Icrontian
    edited Feb 2012
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    WE HAVE POWER.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    We're actually content to do far less than most would to move in. For instance, I don't expect us to have painted walls, a ceiling in the kitchen, or several other things like that when we move in. The missing-critical components are surprisingly few, all things considered.
    Pretty sure that inspector jerk will not give you permission to move in until the kitchen ceiling has wallboard up.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    Just use a tarp, and then when he asks you about it say, "ITSA TARP!"
    Pretty sure that inspector jerk will not give you permission to move in until the kitchen ceiling has wallboard up.

Not really a concern. We'll be squatting in our own house, no biggie.

I would absolutely be making sure that any vendor for the boiler/HWH can offer some kind of financing or payment plan. That way you don't overextend yourself right off the bat, even if that means slightly higher overall costs from financing. This is a situation where using credit is totally legitimate, since a more expensive system up front will help offset the loan costs with reduced monthly usage prices. In fact, it might actually work out to be a money-positive move if the savings monthly are greater than what you pay to service the debt.

Since that means more money for other, non-fanciable expenses, it's worth pursuing.
    Have you tested any of the paint for lead? I suggest that before you start sanding in the areas you want to sand.
    It doesn't take much to elevate the amount of lead in your blood.
    I'm sure there's lead in much of the paint.
    I'm sure there's lead in muchall of the paint.
    FTFY.
    edited Feb 2012
    Please be careful then, I wouldn't want to see you guys sick. Lead paint when sanded is nothing to take lightly, probably worse than asbestos to be honest. It doesn't take years of inhalation to affect you.
    Loving seeing the coverage this is getting. I think it's something both Icrontic and Detroit will benefit greatly from.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Orange, CA Icrontian
    Detroit's newest tech company? No other new tech companies since 2003?
    They weren't technically in Detroit before.