The Mobile Barton Thread

Comments

• edited October 2004
    Hi All! :D

It's been some time but here are my results:

BTW EQuito -> You're right, no water cooling needed!

Motherboard: Abit NF7

Processor: Athlon Mobile 2600
    Stepping: AXMG2600FQQ4C Z374272K31024 IQYHA 0348 SPMW

Cooling: SLK900U with 118 cfm Vantec 92mm controlled to 4200 RPM
    idle 32c full load 47c using AS5 thermal compound

Prime95 stable for 24 hours

Bios: Taipan (D26_ver.2.0.05_TaiPan_0.1_23.09.04 CPC On)

234 X 11.5 (2.7Ghz) 1.95 Vcore

1.7 chipset 2.8 Vdimm

2 x 256 Mb HyperX DDR400 (BH5) 2.5 2 3 11

Benchmarks:

PC Mark 2002

CPU 8354 Memory 7053

Sandra

Mem&Bandwidth 3577/3378

CPU Arithmetic 10043/4064

The above was ordered from Newegg (about a year ago +-) and received 2 with the above stepping. The other sits in an Asus A7NX8 Del Rev 2.0 at 200 x 12.5 @ 1.70 Vcore

speed_x
  • edited January 2005
    Hi,
    I am really newcomer to your business guys ...overclocking.
    I intend to do something different than playing games; I need to run two guest operating systems on VMWare GXS 3.1 Host machine running on windows 2003 server and all this on single processor.
    I just order DFI nFII Ultra Infinity and XP 2500+ Mobile Barton cooled by Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2L CPU Cooler (2800 RPM).
    So I need really stable system and I need your opinion guys...
    Do you think that running the 2500+ mobile on 200x12 1.75 is good choice I haven't done it yet just trying to find which is the most stable way of overclocking the Barton.
    http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q1/athlonxp-m-2500/index.x?pg=1
    Running two VMWare guest machines at the same time is really a math job and not so bandwidth consuming and the Barton is worth the money for such computing plus the 512 L2 .
    Please Give me your opinion, Boys ...appreciate them all.

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2005
    Well if you really want stability leave it at stock. It wont get any more stabler than that. But if you want a higher GHz speed, dont go any higher than 200FSB.
  • edited January 2005
    Thanks,
    Yes the extra Mhz are aways needed in this situation so what do you recommend as people who already had experience with the 2500+ M.
    200 X 12 (2.4 Ghz) 1.75 Vcore or
    200 X 12 (2.4 Ghz) 1.8 Vcore or something else
    What settings should go for the Chipset?
    1.60, 1.65, 1.70, 1.75
    Where I can find more info about Overclocking the Mobile Barton 2500 +
    I can learn the deal myself bit by bit but is so much better when you know where to start and look .
    As I said earlier an absolute newcomer to overclocking :scratch:
    edited January 2005
    It overclocks just like a normal Barton, except better.:)

It its unstable at a certain vcore, up it up one notch or 2 until it is completely stable.

You can leave the chipset at defauly since you arent going over spec.
  • edited February 2005
    Love these cpu`s... i got a AXP-M 2500 had her @ 2.5ghz / 500 FSB 1:1 for bout 5 months now
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited February 2005
    hi guys.

what is this "Taipan"bios??

i tested my ram at 220............it ran memtest for 4 hrs ok
    but prime95 gives error in 2 mints???
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited February 2005
    noman wrote:
    hi guys.

what is this "Taipan"bios??

i tested my ram at 220............it ran memtest for 4 hrs ok
    but prime95 gives error in 2 mints???
    It's a modified BIOS for Abit NF7-S v2. I run it myself. Check it out here.

Another great modified BIOS is MantayRay
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited February 2005
    I run at 200FSB.
    My CPU is not L12 modded.

Am I wrong in thinking that since I don't go over 200FSB (Kingston HyperX PC3200 doesn't like >200FSB) that these BIOS' would be of little-to-no benefit to me?
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited February 2005
    a2jfreak wrote:
    I run at 200FSB.
    My CPU is not L12 modded.

Am I wrong in thinking that since I don't go over 200FSB (Kingston HyperX PC3200 doesn't like >200FSB) that these BIOS' would be of little-to-no benefit to me?
    You're probably correct. These are aimed at overclockers. The BIOS includes "soft" L12, so yours doesn't need to be L12 modded and will get the same results. If you've never tried to L12 mod, then your memory may not be the one that doesn't like > 200FSB.

The BIOS' also have tweaks (such as 3D Fire, etc) which will help 3D performance and such. They're nice BIOS', there's no doubt about that. It's not perminate, so you could try them and see what you get. :thumbsup:
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited February 2005
    I still have some tweaking to do
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    still burning in....
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited July 2005
    What did you guys find to be the best heatsink/fan for these processors?
  • edited July 2005
    I run my Kingston HyperX PC3200 at 234 FSB an it loves it! :D
    edited July 2005
    The best is no different than any other socket A CPU.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I'm breaking in my 2200+ mobile I got from Nosferatu last week :thumbsup:

Has anyone else noticed strange behavior in their motherboard or BIOS (especially on an Abit NF7-s) after installing a mobile processor? Sometimes when I reset (either from Windows or from changing the BIOS settings), the computer does the "first half" of the reset, but never posts afterwards. The power and HDD light are on solid. Then when I hold down the power button, the computer turns off, but the power LED stays on. After I kill the switch to the PSU and let it set for 30 sec or so, I can start it up normally.

Should I flash the BIOS, or might that make the problem worse? (especially if it doesn't properly reset after flashing)

Also, the 9.0 multi doesn't work (but the others do, so far). No big deal, just thought that was strange.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited July 2005
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I'm breaking in my 2200+ mobile I got from Nosferatu last week :thumbsup:

Has anyone else noticed strange behavior in their motherboard or BIOS (especially on an Abit NF7-s) after installing a mobile processor? Sometimes when I reset (either from Windows or from changing the BIOS settings), the computer does the "first half" of the reset, but never posts afterwards. The power and HDD light are on solid. Then when I hold down the power button, the computer turns off, but the power LED stays on. After I kill the switch to the PSU and let it set for 30 sec or so, I can start it up normally.

Should I flash the BIOS, or might that make the problem worse? (especially if it doesn't properly reset after flashing)

Also, the 9.0 multi doesn't work (but the others do, so far). No big deal, just thought that was strange.

What you have described has happen to me maybe once or twice. I just chalked it up to a weak battery and moved on. My 2500m been running at 2506mghz for over a year now so I'm happy.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2005
    Yep, I had the same problem on my brother's NF7-S v2 w 2600m. I never really fixed it (he only rebooted once a month anyways) but the problem disappeared after he won a new Seasonic PSU. His computer has been running in its current form for a least a year now with essentially perfect (for windows) stability.
    edited July 2005
    The 9x multi a BIOS problem.
  • edited July 2005
    I've never seen that kind of problem with any of the mobile procs I've run, in my NF7-S, A7N8X Dlx or my A7M266-D boards.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, that happens with me too sometimes after changing BIOS settings. I usually have to power off, wait a few seconds, then power back on. It never happens for me after a windows reboot, but it happens often after saving settings to the CMOS.

Also, if anyone is interested I should be selling my Mobile Barton 2400+ next week after I make sure my new A64 parts are all working. Right now I have the 2400+ running at 2.2GHz (200x11) @ 1.824v. It's stable in windows at lower voltages, however it was having problems in Battlefield 2. The game was crashing to the desktop often, which I fixed by lowering the overclock and later, by keeping 2.2GHz and raising the voltage. Now it runs BF2 like a champ with no issues at all. I've never tried to push the chip faster than 2.2GHz, so i'm not sure how high it can go. I also have never changed my FSB past 200MHz when OC'ing, which is why I've only been running it at 2.2GHz. Anyway, i'm thinking about $60 shipped? Anyone want dibs? ;)
    edited July 2005
    Nosferatu wrote:
    Anyway, i'm thinking about $60 shipped? Anyone want dibs? ;)
    I would if I didn't already have your other one :D. That's not a bad price, IMO. I'd wait for Omega's mobile bartons to sell, then put yours up in the DD&TP in a week or two. (it's all about supply and demand :cool: )
  • edited July 2005
    Yep, Garg's idea about waiting for Omega's XP-M's to sell is a good one. Just post the critter up in the DD&TP when you are ready to sell. :)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited July 2005
    Nosferatu wrote:
    Y Right now I have the 2400+ running at 2.2GHz (200x11) @ 1.824v. It's stable in windows at lower voltages, however it was having problems in Battlefield 2.

Well I know it's way past too late to discuss this since you are about to sell your chip but that vcore seems high for a mobile chip. I'm running 2.5ghz at 1.7v. I think with your 2400m you should be doing 2.4 at around 1.7vcore maybe a little less. :scratch: I've only needed 1.8 to go over 2.6ghz.
    edited July 2005
    Komete wrote:
    Well I know it's way past too late to discuss this since you are about to sell your chip but that vcore seems high for a mobile chip. I'm running 2.5ghz at 1.7v. I think with your 2400m you should be doing 2.4 at around 1.7vcore maybe a little less. :scratch: I've only needed 1.8 to go over 2.6ghz.

It is high, it was running with no issues whatsoever before BF2 (very buggy game). It ran UT2004, CS:S, HL2, etc. with no problems at all. I simply boosted the vcore trying to gain stability in BF2 while avoiding lowering the clockrate. I haven't tried to really push the chip as far as it might be able to go either since I always kept my memory at 400MHz and my cooling moderate (zalman cnps6000-cu w/ low fan speed).
    edited July 2005
    I can't wait to live in a place that has air conditioning again. Very few places here in northern New Mexico have it. Right now, I'm running 2.2Ghz at 1.625v vcore (in BIOS, 1.60v in MBM), but it'll probably be too hot later today. Yesterday we had an incredible hail storm, so the CPU was running about 5*C cooler than usual. If I had A/C, I'll bet I could get this thing to run stably at 2.4Ghz.

Good overclocking weather:
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited July 2005
    I started to think about it last night and after your post Nos I guess it is heat related. I'm using a sp-97 with a zelman Equito gave me a great deal on with a zalman fan. Idles in the low 30's load in the low 40's in the summer. Love winter the bosh never goes over 38c then.

Gargole I think as long as you can keep it under 50c you would have no problem running at 2.4ghz.
    edited July 2005
    I also live in the desert so the room temperature is really hot most of the time during the summer (78-86F).
  • edited July 2005
    heh, I got my locked barton pretty high so far, I am on pretty dodgy watercooling atm so temps aren't that good. I have an NF7-S rev2 with stock BIOS I am soon to replace with mantaray

Well what do you think of it for a locked barton 2600+, has it got much potential KQYHA stepping btw.
    It wont post at 220FSB for some reason, so I will try new BIOS and higher voltage soon.

6hrsprimestable.jpg
    So any thoughts?
  • edited October 2005
    My apologies bringing up a dead thread, but I will very soon, possibly tomorrow, have a Promotia Mach II GT in my hands. I had just received an Athlon 3200+ Barton 400FSB today, but alas, it was superlocked (Was able to squeak out an additional .5x multiplier, but thats it, making for a highest possible clock of 2875MHz). I'm hoping to get a refund soon and get a 2600+ mobile from newegg. All XP mobiles are unlocked from what I understand, and I see that the advertised FSB of the 2600+ mobile is 266, so high multipliers are enabled, correct? Anyways, I have a crap mobo at the moment (Biostar M7NCD Pro) with nForce2 on it, but it hasn't seemed to hold me back. I was able to achieve a 2325MHz 1.8v OC prime95 on a desktop 2600+ Barton with a 92mm Vantec Tornado and SI-97A (Open case only), so the board seems to be running OK, though I suppose I could shell out some extra money somewhere for these famed NF7 boards...Any thoughts as to what a maximum clock would be for a 2600+ mobile running at -40C? ;)