The Mobile Barton Thread

1235»

Comments

• KometeKomete Member
    edited October 2005
    2.8 is my bet.
  • edited October 2005
    Aw...thats it? I figured the 80C temperature drop would actually make a huge difference...Using FSB:DRAM ratios and higher multipliers wouldnt increase the speed? :scratch:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    Could vary greatly, but 2.8-2.9 would be my guess :D If you are lucky you may be able to break 3.0 on a mobile chip. Your Biostar mainboard is likely going to hold your FSB overclock back, so you'll probably have to rely on multipliers to get your clocks up that high. Does that board allow chipset voltage increases? Also, you could actively cool the northbridge which can help. I assume you have PC3200 in that system? What type of ram do you have?
  • edited October 2005
    The ram is dodgy as well. The original gig I have in there was suppsoed to be runnable at ddr400, but only runs at 333 (I've messed with the timings alot, can only get 333.), thje I added an additional 512 rated at only DDR333. I cant change the chipset voltage (Only cpu, ram, and AGP i believe, though i think theres a 4th voltage, cant be sure), but I figured if I pulled off the existing slab of metal on the chipset and tied on the SI-97A heatsink from Thermalright and Vantec 92mm Tornado, it could work nicely. I also have a 170W peltier lying around, so I might throw that on the chipset, given the heatsink performs well. If not, I'll just use the heatsink and fan. This is all going through the planning as of yet, so we'll see what happens.
  • edited October 2005
    Hi, I've been running a 2600-M for a few months now, and it seems like the highest i've been able to get out of it was 2.4ghz. (12x200)

The rig was:

Abit AN7
    512MB OCZ pc3200 Platinum
    OCZ Modstream 520w
    2600-M

It started really acting up a couple weeks ago, blue-screening all over the place, i tried reformatting, kept on doing it, so i figured the motherboard was on it's way out. I bought a new NF7-S, and now the same thing is happening, so i had to throw my old 2200+ TBred onto it.

My stepping was IDYHA 0503TPMW.

Is there anything else i should try before trying to pick up a new cpu? My BIOS and chipsets are all updated.

Does anyone know of a list of steppings for these cpus? From what i heard before, the ones starting with the letter "i" were the better ones... but the overclock on the ADYHA earlier in this thread was amazing, so now i'm starting to wonder.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited October 2005
    ciento44 wrote:
    Hi, I've been running a 2600-M for a few months now, and it seems like the highest i've been able to get out of it was 2.4ghz. (12x200)

The rig was:

Abit AN7
    512MB OCZ pc3200 Platinum
    OCZ Modstream 520w
    2600-M

It started really acting up a couple weeks ago, blue-screening all over the place, i tried reformatting, kept on doing it, so i figured the motherboard was on it's way out. I bought a new NF7-S, and now the same thing is happening, so i had to throw my old 2200+ TBred onto it.

My stepping was IDYHA 0503TPMW.

Is there anything else i should try before trying to pick up a new cpu? My BIOS and chipsets are all updated.

Does anyone know of a list of steppings for these cpus? From what i heard before, the ones starting with the letter "i" were the better ones... but the overclock on the ADYHA earlier in this thread was amazing, so now i'm starting to wonder.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What vcore are you using at 2.4? HOw are your cpu temps? I've had great success with my mobile but I notice when it starts to get around 50c it gets flakey. Actually I've never had an AMD chip that did well over 50c. YOu should be able to get 2.5 stable no problem from that chip.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Komete wrote:
    ...I've had great success with my mobile but I notice when it starts to get around 50c it gets flakey. Actually I've never had an AMD chip that did well over 50c...

Hmm... my mobile has made it to 60* stable before, but I'm also running it at 2.2ghz when I think it has at least 200 more mhz I could pull out of it. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, though.

50*C was definitely the limit for the Palominos I've worked with, but my T-bred A made it to the upper 50s, and my Mobile Barton made it to 60*C without a hitch.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited October 2005
    Well I've seen mid 50's etc but not when I was pushing teh chips limmits. I think my day in day out running speed is a little over 2500mghz like 2528ish or something. Don't feel like finding cpuz. With that 50 to 54 doing something cpu intensive liek ripping a DVD will cause a crash.