The Mobile Barton Thread

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    Yeah you can go all the way up to like 22 or something crazy like that.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2004
    TADA..2600mhz v1.850 temps are 47idle and 53c load :rarr: thinking I'm going to have to bring the temps down a few c before I can call this 100% stable having the video mark blues. Gets about halfway and crashes to desktop. I'm on it as I'm typing this right now. Any bios recomendations?
    anybody try these yet? http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=277628#post277628
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited March 2004
    Will It Fold @ 2600mhz? :fold:
  • edited March 2004
    Well, another speed increase for my 2600m again. I bumped the fsb up another 2 MHz but I also had to bump up the vcore 1 more notch also to stabilize it too. I think I'm getting real close to this proc's stability limits on air now, but I think I'll be able to make 2600 MHz though.:D
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2004
    Omega65 wrote:

I can give it a shot, have any links where I can down load Muddocs setup? I've tried it before but I've never been able to tell whats going on but Mudds GUI looks a little better and less frustrating.
  • edited March 2004
    Komete wrote:
    I can give it a shot, have any links where I can down load Muddocs setup? I've tried it before but I've never been able to tell whats going on but Mudds GUI looks a little better and less frustrating.

Sure, I'll help you out with the links to get up and running.:) First go to Stanford's download page and download the "no-nonsense text only console" and put it into the folder of your choice; I use "Folding1" without the quotes, BTW. Then, make a shortcut and in the target line in the shortcut properties, add the following; " -advmethods -forcesse -verbosity 9", without the quotes, after what is already in the target line. This will make sure that you will draw the Gromacs work, which is the hardest work for your processor to crunch and also will insure that the client uses sse instructions and the -verbosity 9 flag will make the client keep the most detailed log for in case you are having problems.

Since the console version won't install itelf into the system tray by itself when minimzed, I use a little freeware app called TrayIt , which will iconize the console when minimized and put it into the system tray so that the client isn't hanging around on the taskbar when ,minimized.

Finally, I monitor the work with another freeware program called Electron Microscope, commonly referred to as EMIII, and can be downloaded from here . It is pretty easy to set up all this stuff but if you have any questions on anything, don't be afraid to post up in the Team forum here.

BTW, I find that folding Gromacs work to be a pretty tough overclock check for stability as far as number crunching goes because with the least amount of problems with either processor or memory, you will have work terminating early and erroring out. I rather use this than Prime 95 for stability testing myself. It will also test your cooling ability to the max as it pretty much loads every part of the processor to 100% load, but it does relenquish that control to any other app that needs it instantly.:)
    edited March 2004
    Yeah - What he Said!

Right Now I Can Fold & Run 3DMark & Aqyamark @ 2568mhz V 1.95

Window will boot at 2.6 mark, but FAH, Aquamark crash back to the desktop.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2004
    Well I downloaded and installed folding@home. I also changed a fan around so I'll have to wait till friday or so to make sure the AS5 has cured. (dunno if I believe in that) Then I'll give it a go a 2600mghz. One thing for sure it keeps that cpu load at 100. I havnt yet done the full install that mudd so graciously gave me yet. Probably will do on saterday when i'm off.

Thanks for the guide.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2004
    Omega65 wrote:

Well I let it run for 15minutes or so at 2600mhz. Temps got too hot for me. peek at 54c. I'll wait and see if there is any truth with this curing process and give it another go on the weekend.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited March 2004
    I get 53C @ 2500MHz. I don't think 54C is too hot. Sure, it's nice and toasty, but your chip can definitely handle 54C.
  • edited March 2004
    :D you guys must at least want to know what your chip will do at 2.0 vcore!
    edited March 2004
    Wow mine dropped down to 47.5C@2.5GHz. I might have to do some more tweaking again tomorrow.:)

1.93 is enough full time all the way up from 1.45 on Air.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited March 2004
    Excellent temps, Marc. Which HS, which fan?
    edited March 2004
    :D you guys must at least want to know what your chip will do at 2.0 vcore!

2.6ghz is unstable even at v2.1 @ 41C
    edited March 2004
    SLK-900 with TT Smartfan at full blast.
  • edited March 2004
    Hi..

I have a 2600 IQYHA 0348 SPMW running at 225.5 X 12 (2706 Mhz) @1.95 Vcore using a SLK-900-U and a Vantec Tornado at 4200 rpm on an NF7. 35c idle, 52c Prime95.
    With the above settings it's Prime95 stable.

I have a Dtek water cooling outfit and I get the feeling it will run at 2800+ Mhz with water cooling. I haven't noticed any untoward behaviour running it at high voltage; it's very dependable and I've encoded 20 videos with no problems.

One thing I've noticed is that these processors do respond well to a burning in period. Seems after a solid week of use they come alive.

As for cranking up the voltage: I've had my unit up to 2.10 Vcore (load 2.05) and haven't noticed any "iffyness." I think if you have a good coling system, go ahead and crank it up! (go slowly!)

As soon as I know how I'm going to mod my case for the watercooler and install it, I'll post my new results.
  • edited March 2004
    a2jfreak wrote:
    My 2500+ XP-M has been @ 2.5GHz for 2 days now and the vCore is set to 1.8 so it seems to be stable, though the NF7-S undervolts so the vCore is really around 1.74v to 1.76v, perhaps even a tad higher. Temps are a bit high though as I've seen them at 53C. I'm wondering if lapping my SLK-900(U) would help improve temps . . . think so? This weekend i'm going to push higher and see if I can hit 2.6GHz or better. Once I install the new 80mm TT I think I might give myself a bit more headroom all I have to do is find those 80mm clips for the HS.

Yes Sir! Take wet/dry sandpaper to that baby. Start with 220 and take it all the way to 2000 grit. It'll take about 2.5 hours and it will be worth it. Drop your temps about 5c!
  • edited March 2004
    NeoFX wrote:
    Whats so good about these Mobiles... And do you have to have a certain board to use them? These seem to be just like the old 1700+ as far as great deal for high speed and overclockability goes.

You get 2700 Mhz on Air Cooling, more than that on water. Many of my old bartons wouldn't go higher than 2500 Mhz and very hot. With the Mobile it seems very easy to hit at least 2500.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited March 2004
    God it's tempting to pick up 3 Mobile 2600s- 2 to replace the (desktop) 2500s in the K7D-L, because the 2500s run hot and loud, even in the HUGE server cube case they're in with 8 80mm and 2 120mm case fans, and 1 to replace the JIUHB/DLT3C 1800+ in the NF7-S.
  • edited March 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    God it's tempting to pick up 3 Mobile 2600s- 2 to replace the (desktop) 2500s in the K7D-L, because the 2500s run hot and loud, even in the HUGE server cube case they're in with 8 80mm and 2 120mm case fans, and 1 to replace the JIUHB/DLT3C 1800+ in the NF7-S.

Hi Geeky1...

On average I would have to say the 2600's overclock better than the 2500. I purchased 3 of each and ended up getting rid of the 25's. All the 2600 I ordered from Newegg will do 2700 Mhz on air. Worth every bit the money I paid. Will post water cooling results soon!

speed x
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited March 2004
    May I brag a little? :D

AXMG2600FQQ4C / 0108
    AQYHA0346XPMW

All other info is included in the pic and btw, sorry about the size but if I scale it down it becomes fuzzy... :(
  • edited March 2004
    Hi EQuito...

Great Oc. Good FSB. Maybe when I get my watercooler going I'll be able to run a higher FSB. Makes a lot difference!

Speed X
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited March 2004
    Speaking of FSB, I've noticed that the BIOS on my NF7-S will now let me go all the way up to 300MHz (hehe... yeah, right). I can't remember whether I've flashed it lately or not :rolleyes:, so I'll have to check the BIOS version.
    edited March 2004
    speed_x wrote:
    Hi EQuito...
    Great Oc. Good FSB. Maybe when I get my watercooler going I'll be able to run a higher FSB. Makes a lot difference!
    Thank you! it took a lot of trying to reach that speed stable enought to run all those tests at the same time and still, Prime95 fails everytime... :(

btw: my rig is air-cooled so if you think you need water to achieve high FSB, think again... ;)

Cheers!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    :respect: EQuito

nice O/C buddy :thumbsup:
    edited March 2004
    hehe..., thanks!
    Did you see the other one? not as stable but much better temps with lower voltage and higher clocks (IQYHA0348SPMW)... :D
  • edited March 2004
    EQuito wrote:
    Thank you! it took a lot of trying to reach that speed stable enought to run all those tests at the same time and still, Prime95 fails everytime... :(

btw: my rig is air-cooled so if you think you need water to achieve high FSB, think again... ;)

Cheers!

I've got a watercooler and I haven't installed it because I've been mulling how to set it up out of the case. The instructions say to put in in the case and let it re-circulate hot case air? I don't think so. I want every bit of cooling I can get and it's going to take more work. I've had the computer running at a super high FSB (250) and I like the way it behaves...so quick. Now, all I want to do is get it there stable.

Right now, I'm running on air at 225 X 12 and I like it, however, I think 240-250 would be so much better. There's a certain crispness to a high FSB...WHAM! and you're there!

Have you used any extra special cooling like HS on FET's, NB, SB?

I overclock to do video processing and I'm willing to do anything to get more speed. I've been planning this for about 5 years. Ever since I owned a PIII @450 Mhz. It took it 2 and a half days to encode my first Divx movie, running POS Windows 98! Now I'm encoding at real time or better, for a 2 pass Divx movie.

Thanks for any input you could give me!

speed x
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2004
    Well This is barly worth mensioning but this is the Mobile thread. I read on nforcersHQ that if you update your processor driver to a k7 that you will get a boost in performance. Well I tried it and it's more like a cough in performance than a boost but every little bit helps. Below is a picture comparing before and after at 2568. Left is before the update and right is after.
  • edited August 2004
    I wish I found this forum before I ordered a new computer to become my MythTV box. I ordered a VA-10 and a mobile Barton 2600. As Al said this will only post at 800, or 1Gz if you raise the FSB to 166. This is because the BIOS can't handle the multipler being well, not there. However, my mistake is a blessing is disguise. You see, a few years ago I overclocked a couple of 1.2Ghz Palaminos on a Tyan Thunder board. I did it with an interesting little device called a "Golden Socket". The little thing goes between the processor and the mainboard, and has a set of dip switches that let you set the multipler...Good th.ng I've kept them! I set it to 12x and low and behold, at 166 FSB the damn thing posts at 2Ghz! It was a fun hack, just thought I'd share it with all of you. So I'll get MythTV going today after all!!!

I haven't tried to see how far I can overclock it yet. After I get linux installed I'll play with it more. The trouble with the Golden Socket is the switches are not accessible until you remove the chip, something you don't want to do to much with Athlon XP chips. I went with 12x as a comprimise. At 166FSB it's at stock core speed of 2Ghz. With this system I'm more concern with cool and quiet. I wish I could adjust the Vcore.. oh well. Looks like it will do the task I need it for anyway.... Decoding HDTV!!!

-anthony.vito
    edited August 2004
    Yeah these chips need a motherboard that can change multipliers than the golden socket allows for that.