The Mobile Barton Thread

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    I got my 2400+ today and got it installed. Running at 2506MHz (200*12.5). I had a 1800+ DLT3C JIUHB in there before that and it wouldnt go much higher than 2.3 GHz.
    edited March 2004
    Not quite sure if its totally stable yet at 1.9 vcore. Running over 50C as well. Kinda disappointed.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited March 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    Not quite sure if its totally stable yet at 1.9 vcore. Running over 50C as well. Kinda disappointed.

Why would you be disappointed with a 2.5GHz overclock?

Prices Updated.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited March 2004
    He's spoiled by AMD ;D;D

3 weeks ago 2.5ghz was a goal, now it's a starting point!
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited March 2004
    I think it was the 50C that was disappointing, perhaps the 1.9 coupled with the 50C. But I'm sure Marc will clear up any confusion when he re-visits this thread.
    edited March 2004
    The fact that I have to use 1.93 vcore and its still not stable while others are doing it with less. FAH restarted once while I was at work. Up to 1.95 I guess.

Takes longer to boot now for some reason too.
    edited March 2004
    Eh... I don't think many people are getting 2.5GHz on 2400-m's with <1.9Vcore. I'm running mine at 2v 49c :-/
  • edited March 2004
    It does seem that the 2400m procs as a rule don't overclock quite as well as the 2500m and 2600m procs, Marc. I bet that you can back it down to 2450 or so and back way down on the vcore though. My second 2400m was like that in that it overclocked easily to 2400 MHz with around 1.75-1.775v but to try to go even 50 MHz higher required around 1.9v and I started running into thermal instability with it, cooling with air.
    edited March 2004
    Temps have dropped down to 47.5C at 1.93 vcore. Well I couldnt justify $22 more for the 2500+ for a hundred MHz or so. I would like to have but Newegg raised the prices after people bouight them all out. Guess I will bump it up to 1.95 in a bit.

Makes me want to get WCing to keep the temps down.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited March 2004
    mmonnin, when you have to bump the voltage that much to get a few MHz out of it, you've likely hit/passed the max OC for the CPU anyhow. I'd back off the MHz and voltage.
    edited March 2004
    XP-M 2500+ @ 2525mhz (~120watts) Bios v1.95 MBM v1.90
    Watercooled Swiftech 5000A w Dual Procore Radiator (in series)
    Ambient Air Temp (=> Radiator) 29C
    CPU Temp 41C (0.1 C\W - hmmm doesn't seem right...)

Could we possibly be hitting the mobo maximum power supply capablilty?
    edited March 2004
    Omega, how are you coming up with the 120w figure?
    edited March 2004
    The wattage could be higher but I based the OC'd wattage on a XP3000+ 2.167ghz 75watt Benchtest.com Wattage calculator
    edited March 2004
    Hmm. Personally, I have a hard time believing that those calculators are accurate, but that's just my opinion. I don't know for sure, so 120w may indeed be correct...
    edited March 2004
    My 1800+ at 2.3 with 1.8 vcore is at 110W.
    edited March 2004
    The Calculator uses this formula
    Overclocked Watts = Default Watts * (Overclocked Mhz \ Default Mhz) * (Overclocked Vcore \ Default Vcore)²

The 88% figure of 97 watts is probably more accurate. If you use the Formula to calculate a known CPU power usage, it's the 88% figure thats closest to published levels. (Check the 1800+ (1.53ghz) v1.5 OC'd to 2400+ (2.0ghz) v1.65 levels)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2004
    I got the nf7s in, I have to say it's the most easiest board to overclock that I have ever had. Running against my a7n8x at the same speeds the a7n8x beats it in all my benchmarks but who runs it at default speeds anyway :bigggrin:

2539mghz is my latest 100% rock solid overclock. I've booted into windows in the mid 2600's but 2555mghz seems like it will be the highest fsb/multiplyer i can get for now. (might have to do the pin modd to unlock the higher mults) 2555 was very stable untill I threw some video bench marks at it/ Ran Aqua, 2001se, but crashed on Pcmark04. Would uping the chipset voltage help any?

Temps are fairly good at 44c idle and 46c load at a vcore of 1.775v but man after mid 2500's you really have to crank that vcore up to get it to boot into windows.
  • edited March 2004
    Here's my latest overclock on my 2600m. I'm bumping up the speed slowly, had to raise the vcore 1 notch for total stability for this speed so I think that I'm starting to get close to my max overclock. I'm totally stable folding at this speed so far; will leave it here for a while longer and monitor things. Here's a screenie:
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2004
    Looking good muddocktor, I was wondering if you have done any Video bench marks yet, I can get my 2500m up there and do a ton of cpu intsive benches but it locks up on any video stuff.

If you have it benching video have you had to up the chipset voltage? I'm about ready to go that route to see how much I can squeze out of it.

I'm also thinking about pin moddin the socket to see what I can get at a 200fsb.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2004
    With a cpu vcore push of 1.825, chipset push to 1.7, and mem to 2.8 I've managed to get a tad bit more out of it rock solid. 2568mghz 47c idle and 53c load. Might have to look into switching some fans around to get temps to drop a few c's. Disapointed in the memory though @ 2 337 timings I would expect a little more out of it. On the flip side I'm really happy with my little 9500pro. Good little card :)
    edited March 2004
    Do my rails look ok?
    Temp is higher than I'd like, but as soon as I can find my retention clips I'll change fans.

// Edit: This setup has been stable for days, folding non-stop and I have yet to see a dropped WU.
    edited March 2004
    Looks fine to me. What are the specs of that rig?
    edited March 2004
    Well, I guess the only thing you can't see from those screen shots are:

NF7-S v2.0
    1GB (2x512MB) Kingston HyperX PC3200 (2-3-3-6)
    Radeon 7200 (It works for me as I'm not a big gamer)
    120GB WD 8MB
    100GB WD 8MB
    DVD+-R/+-RW Sony
    SLK-900(U) + 60+CFM 92mm fan. (Once I find my clips (not really looked for them yet) I'll change the fan to the 70+ CFM 80mm unit I told you about earlier).

That's pretty much it.
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited March 2004
    @ a2jfreak:

What PSU do you have? I have an Antec True430w, and your numbers are exactly like mine, so I assume since we both have the NF7-S, the Voltage readings are off by almost the exact same.

Actual numbers measured with multimeter:

+3.3 = 3.33v (before my +3.3 mod)
    +5 = 5.06v
    +12 = 12.00v

As you can see, those all make the specs :) Your numbers are just fine
    edited March 2004
    Sorry, yes, I have an Antec TruePower 430W PSU. Good call, Park! :)
  • edited March 2004
    Komete wrote:
    Looking good muddocktor, I was wondering if you have done any Video bench marks yet, I can get my 2500m up there and do a ton of cpu intsive benches but it locks up on any video stuff.

If you have it benching video have you had to up the chipset voltage? I'm about ready to go that route to see how much I can squeze out of it.

I'm also thinking about pin moddin the socket to see what I can get at a 200fsb.

No, I haven't done any video benches with it because it's now just a dedicated folding rig, with a radeon 7000 vid card. My main Pee4 rig is now my gaming rig, with the 9800 AIW in it.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    No, I haven't done any video benches with it because it's now just a dedicated folding rig, with a radeon 7000 vid card. My main Pee4 rig is now my gaming rig, with the 9800 AIW in it.

Nice, I was looking for some hints on how to get it stable but after I uped the chipset voltage wallaa can throw the whole gambit of video marks at it. 2568 seems to be the limmit for me.

I can get it to post higher but not 100% stable when you through in the video and I've ran out of default chipset voltages. So untill I do the pin modd so I can up the multiplyer and bring down the fsb i'm stuck.
    edited March 2004
    DAMN! It seems I'm maxing out at ~2568mhz v1.95 (205mhz x 12.5). I can't get 2600mhz stable even at v2.1. :grumble::rant: :banghead:
  • edited March 2004
    Komete, what mobo are you running that proc in? If you can't select a multi higher than 12.5, then you must be using something besides a NF7 board because the NF7 can select both low side and high side multi's without any pinmod.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    Komete, what mobo are you running that proc in? If you can't select a multi higher than 12.5, then you must be using something besides a NF7 board because the NF7 can select both low side and high side multi's without any pinmod.
    Are you serious! :rockon: I thought since my asusa7n8x couldnt do it this one couldnt.. hehe going back into the bios :wave: