Artistic Photography

Comments

• hypermoodhypermood Smyrna, GA New
    edited December 2005
    Tiger Swallow butterfly at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Nice shot hyper,
    Butterflies make cool photo subjects with all their colors.
    There was a news clip on the other night, about the buterflies making their annual trip to mexico. Thousands and thousands of them. The tree's looked like they were alive.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited December 2005
    that is just beautiful, hypermood. :cool:
    i'm surprised you had time to snap it before it flew off :)

LIN
  • hypermoodhypermood Smyrna, GA New
    edited December 2005
    Thanks, I actually got lucky enough to get a few shots before it flew off :) The lighting was just right for this one.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    katrina_cloud_1.jpg
  • SmiGDigSmiGDig Albany, NY
    edited February 2006
    Camman: I love the first two shots, amazing stuff for some interesting web design ideas.

Keep it up. I'll post some of my stuff on here shortly.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Finally got a digital camera this winter, and snapped some shots. Still getting used to the functions, but managed this macro. It's a place called Belfountain about an hour outside of Toronto. Beautiful rivers and scenery.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19504&stc=1&d=1142312450
  • WISKINITAWISKINITA san antonio, TEXAS
    edited September 2006
    here is a pic i took of a lightning storm from Sandia Peak in New Mexico. It took about 30 mins. to capture with so many missed bolts. But I finally guessed right. Also note, my arms were killing me as I did not have a tripod or anything to rest my cam on. I will also attach the pic of the rain cloud pouring out rain like a pitcher on a small section of Albuquerque.
    edited September 2006
    IN THE LIGHTNING PIC, YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE WHERE IT STUCK SOMETHING ON THE GROUND. NOTE THE LITTLE FIRE BOLT!:wow2:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Nice shots! :)
    edited September 2006
    thank you all!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Hey wiski, one tip for lightning shots, if it is a storm during night, set your camera to manual mode, and bump your aperture's f-stop as high up as you can get it (8 or higher will suffice), and then set your shutter speed as long as you can get it, I set mine to 13 seconds, which is as long as it goes, and I have gotten 4 strikes in one exposure. It is really awesome, though I love photography, I will upload some pictures in a seconds that I took yesterday because I'm going to attempt to teach the kids in my yearbook staff how to use a Digital SLR. I love still life shots, but I also love doing candids, when people dont know you are taking their pictures, that is actually capturing life as it is, I dont like the "say cheese" pictures so much. Though I have to take some of those.

I just wish I had a better camera. The camera I use now is a Canon Powershot A610 It is a pretty nice camera, it has manual settings, but the aperture doesnt go as high as I'd like it too (8 is max) then only other gripe I have with it is low light action shots, and the zoom. It is only a 4x optical zoom, im not sure what that comes out too because all the lens has on it is 29.32mm lens, so I suppose it could mean that it can go from 29.32mm to 117.8. Not bad. Though manual focus is a pain to use, which I have too for macro shots or night shots, especially lightning shots, which I set the focus to infinity.
    edited October 2006
    cool. thanks for the tips. now here is one i will share:: I'm not sure what is going on, but i recently saw a link on videomaker.com that had this website called ZoomVid.com under a list of video/photo share sites. I went to it and it's not live yet, but looks really cool. I saw a few things under a seach about it that said it was going to be a place to store and protect your videos, photos, files, and audio, etc. It said the files could be publicly viewed, but in no way copied or hacked because they don't use any third party video player like Windows media or Real Player at all. The website had something about consumer; corporate; and government but that's about all i could get from it. That seems really cool considering I stamp my name on my pics, but anyone with photoshop or the like could smear my name off and claim them as their own. So i guess when it becomes available, i will post links to my files instead of the actual pics so everyone can still view them but nobody can "steal" them. I'll post more about it as soon as I find out more.
    here is the link to that site http://www.zoomvid.com
    edited October 2006
    trust me, there are still ways to steal them no matter how much 'protection' you give them. in general, if a person is worth a damn, he will respect a copyright/credit if you place it on the picture, though I would do like all the pictures that I send out.

in photoshop, simply put the credit in one of the corners nice and compact so as not to obscure the actual photo; But usually only on hi-res images. I personally think that huge watermarks are distasteful and ruin the picture. but then again, Im not in it for the recognition or money, I just like taking pictures. I took a picture of a girl on our softball team sliding in for the win after 12 inning they were in sudden death. It was an awesome picture, and her grandma saw me take it. Her grandma looked at it, took me to her mom, then her mom took me to her (she is hot) they asked me if I'd burn it to a CD. I went home, did a little ps work, got it sized and credited it, then burned it and also had a 8x10 print made of it, which is cheap to do at walmart only like $2.20. Gave it to them and they thought it was really awesome, good enough for her mom calling me telling me that I deserved something, I told them I really didnt need anything and that it wasnt that much work, she sent me a check for $40. which was a nice surprise.

I just cant wait until soccer season starts, cause I can get right down on the goal lines and get really good pictures. Last year I got one of my friend doing that thing where you kick the ball up, do a back flip thing kick the ball and land on your back. (I forgot what it is called) anyway, I got him right after he kicked the ball, he really appreciated it, because he asked me to come and do it for him, I took it with the schools 35mm SLR with a 300mm tele lens. I just wish the lighting would have been better, because I had to use 800 speed film so it was a little grainy. But that is the only other picture he has aside from his all state picture.

Here are 3 of them.
    01.jpg 269.8K
    02.jpg 354.7K
    03.jpg 418.1K
    edited October 2006
    And here are 3 more.

I really hated downsizing them, they use so much of their beauty. and 488Kb limit is murder on images that have a lot of different colors. The pics that looks like I shot into the sun, that is the moon from a couple weeks ago, I heard that this is the closest its been in a long time, so I decided I would take some pictures of it. I have taken them all pretty recently, actually, aside from the moon pics, I took them all yesterday.

I try to compose them and take good pictures, but I always learn new things, and different interesting angles. I like looking at pictures that professional photographers took their pictures to see how they did it. I also like looking at deviant art, because there are some good photographers on there.
    04.jpg 479.5K
    05.jpg 473.6K
    06.jpg 239.6K
    edited October 2006
    nice pics. you have a good eye for the random bits of beauty that are lyin around everywhere that most people take for granted and/or simply overlook.

here are a few tips (i'm no pro, but took a class once so take it however anyone one of you wants): it's recommended that you subject or item you are shooting not be centered and usually not at eye level. off center the object either high right, high left, low right or low left. you can play with it for emphasis. like if you take a shot from a lower angle, put the object in the high left or high right position to give it strength. if you shoot down (or from a higer angle than the object) put the object in the low left or low right region based on how it is facing.

for instance: that blue flower in your pic is facing to the right. imagine what the same pic would look like if it were not centered and not at eye level. since it faces to the right, you would put it in either the high left or low left region. the flow (or facing and bend of the flower) should face the center and not the edge of the screen. and by this I mean just slightly off center from either a high or low angle in the more left region of the screen (and not in the right). anyways, just givin you all ideas on how positioning works.
    edited October 2006
    Yeh, I took videography for 3 years so I am kind of 'programmed' with those rules, which are very similar. but I always think about the rule of thirds and composing my shots.

Those shots I didnt give a whole lot of thought too, I just was looking for something unique and interesting. I actually have 22 printed right next to me on 4x6s to show the class about how to take a picture and getting all the settings right.

Though in college I'd like to take a photography class, though I don't want to just a beginners course, I want to take a class focusing on composition and techniques. Because I already understand the settings and and thier interactions with each other.
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited October 2006
    I just spent the last hour looking at every shot you guy's have taken.

Some awesome work i must say guy's, the mountain & water views do it for me.

Leo & Andy.....some nice work there. :thumbsup:

Shal
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited October 2006
    How about this?

I took it from the back seat at 70MPH with a 1/1000 sec shutter speed and ISO400 at 3:30PM Oct 29
    edited October 2006
    Well, I can certainly tell you took it at speed, and while it is a pretty picture there isnt really a point of interest. My eye doesnt lead me to any particular place in the picture. The exposure is pretty good, so you are over one big hump in photography. Now you just have to focus on your composition.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Here are some pics from my summer trip to CA.
    edited October 2006
    Those are really nice picture Kwitco. Has that middle one had some ps work done on it? Because it looks like a really soft focus, softer than I could do with my camera.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Thanks, airborn. They've all had some work done in Photoshop. The first shot uses a polarizing action to punch up the sky and ocean. The middle one was a long exposure. Problem was there was a spot of sunlight shining right in the middle of the stream that just "collected the light." You can see it more in this shot. The second shot below is of my niece, and one of my favorites. Everything about it just worked perfectly. Her expression is priceless. Only minor retouching to get rid of a few blemishes on her face.
    edited October 2006
    Yeh, I love polarizing filters, they help a lot for taking shots through glass and also snow. I love all the filters, they are nice to have.
    edited October 2006
    Not a polarizing filter. I used an action in Photoshop to mimic a polarizing filter.
    edited October 2006
    ahh. ok.

what camera do you have? is it a point and shoot, or an SLR?
    edited October 2006
    Nikon D50 SLR.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    My camera (hp model 733, 3.2 MP) is pretty awful, especially for outdoor photos, but it can only screw up color like this so much. This was taken right about here, on the way to Santa Fe from Los Alamos. The picture is looking south towards the Rio Grande. It's been resized and JPEG quality reduced to 97% to fit as an attachment, but no photoshop enhancement (yet).
    edited October 2006
    KwitCo™ wrote:
    Nikon D50 SLR.

you lucky dog.
    edited December 2006
    wowsers! all of these pix are simply amazing! i'm glad we revived this thread! KEEEEEP IT GOING! it's nice to see that we hackers can get up from the computer once in a while to capture true beauty... well, and to stretch a bit. I'll be adding to this collection again very soon, as I have recently captured some awesome new pix. be back soon.................