Pics of folding computers / farms

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Anyone else got some new images of their farms??
  • DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
    edited January 2006
    Here's a pic of my 3 full time Folding machines. Kind of a samll farm, but it keeps churning out the WU's. The black computer is my first venture into Linux. It's been quite the learning curve.

Dragstk
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited January 2006
    The joy is taking an image as is, to show the enviornment these bad boys are working in :)

but.......but..........all these rooms are so clean and neat....I will have to do some cleaning before I put pictures of what I have left on here. :woowoo: Jack
    edited January 2006
    Office Update!
    10 comps at home and growing :)

comps1.jpg
    comps2.jpg
    edited February 2006
    ANY new Folding Rigs floating aorund? lets see those Rigs Boys!
  • edited February 2006
    ill try to get a pic of my 4 rigs on here tomorrow.
  • Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited February 2006
    I was looking at your pics Sledge and thought to myself, how high is his electric bill.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I can't really take a pic of the farm since they are scattered around the office, but here's a shot of the EM3 screen from our office:

One of those is a mac. Yes, you can use EM3 to track folding on a mac :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I added an impromptu farm today - 3x P3 933s in the corner of my office. They've been sitting there doing nothing for months. Why not turn them on and fold with them?

farm3.jpg

The sarcnet workbench: We have, from back to front - one of our in-progress fileservers, SM18, and a workbench/test machine. The dell precision 340 on top is for sale, but until it sells, it folds.

farm1.jpg
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    I tried to get these guys folding, but it was just too much to handle. I had a modified version of windows(i think it was 2k, millenium, or something like that.) running on them, but it was really damn slow, and well pointless.

blackblue1.jpg

colt1.jpg
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    I tried to get these guys folding, but it was just too much to handle. I had a modified version of windows(i think it was 2k, millenium, or something like that.) running on them, but it was really damn slow, and well pointless.

blackblue1.jpg

colt1.jpg
    You need to install linux on the xbox to fold the xbox uses a modified version of windows ce... and theres no xbe for folding :p.
    edited February 2006
    go to xbins, err umm "the usual places"
    edited February 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    I tried to get these guys folding.....

never said i was successful at it. like i said before, windows on an xbox is really slow :(
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I never wanted an Xbox for the games, but I kept entering contests trying to win one so I could put Linux on it and fold. Alas, never won :(
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    never said i was successful at it. like i said before, windows on an xbox is really slow :(
    Well duh you run it under an emulator its obviously going to be slow :rolleyes: .
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I never wanted an Xbox for the games, but I kept entering contests trying to win one so I could put Linux on it and fold. Alas, never won :(

Its really not worth folding on I had mine folding but it produced next to no points :(.

(Its a celeron 733 with 64mb of shared memory :( )
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    Its really not worth folding on I had mine folding but it produced next to no points :(.

(Its a celeron 733 with 64mb of shared memory :( )

Yeah, I didn't expect it to be a major producer, but back when it first came out, I wanted to win one and use it just for folding to rub it in the face of everyone I knew that wanted to get one to play games on.

I'm just mean. :D
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2006
    Liquid81 wrote:
    another wannabe SMx

scuze the messy desk
    nice man nice....
    edited February 2006
    Siggy wrote:
    MY little enterprise in Sunny Australia
    Do i see counter-strike?
    edited February 2006
    witenoiz wrote:
    I love the pictures and respect the dedication.

me too. btw I just started folding and could you guys tell me about how many point you get for a non-heavy duty project on average?

And about enervex nd jonhandbrakes farm....
    i do think that people wiht that many systems are taking (edit: taking as in getting not stealing) all the light, but folding is not really as much competition as it is helping find out what p53 (we just studied it in BIO :bigggrin: ) can do for cancer. and I think some of those other progs are just as important. I dont dedicate my whole system to Folding. I dedicate about 30% FOlding, 30% Einstien, 30% SETI, and about 10% others like prediction and climate.
    edited February 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Prof forwarded me a copy of the email he receives with all the milestones, be it a small one or a big one. The darn thing is HUGE. He has to manually go through and pick out the milestones that we normally celebrate and then come up with a clever title, witty post, and necessary artwork. 99% of the time he does a GREAT job. He does this on his free time, it's not some computer generated post, he has to create every single thread. There are days he has to do 20 milestones. Does it get a bit boring, I'm sure. Does he get stumped and resort to recycling an idea, sometimes. The point is... he isn't paid to do this. He does it because he loves the project.

As for the rest of us that chime in and congratulate the milestone recipients... we run into the same problem. How many was can you say CONGRATS. Ten times? Twenty times? The point here is.... we don't get paid to do this. We do it because we love the project.

This is as much a family as a team. A pat on the back, even if it is not the most creative, is still better than nothing and a heck of a lot better than most other folding teams.

We do cherish EVERY point that is turned in, for Team #93 or for Team Anonymous. One CPU or twenty...

hmmm... I didnt know that..... GREAT JOB PROF!! I will dedicate a thread to you soon even though it wont mean anything since im new and you probably have a few (100's maybe) thread didicated to you. :clap::clap::clap::clap:
  • Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited February 2006
    I wish I was made of money so I could have like 300 computers connected to a Phase 3 power grid.

Electricity just went up 17% in my area and next month its going up 22%.
    Can you say ROBBERY!!!!
    Goodbye $280 light bill, hello $389 light bill.

Can you also say WTF!?!?!
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited February 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    i do think that people wiht that many systems are taking all the light, but folding is not really as much competition as it is helping find out what p53 (we just studied it in BIO :bigggrin: ) can do for cancer.

Everyone is entitled to do what they believe is right for them. We do folding only, our choice.

A few times over the last few years we were being overtaken by another team. There was a call to arms, so to speak. We replied by buying more computers to stave off the "enemy". If someone/anyone wants to make a comment about my wife's farm, they can. We don't go bragging about what we have, we just fold.

If you believe us being in the light is wrong, please go ahead and do what we did. Build more computers for the cause.

For everyone you build, we will GLADLY turn one off as the power bill and ongoing costs is killing us.

Jon:ausflag:
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited March 2006
    Well I think Jon and Sally are doing a superb job doing what they enjoy to do. I can only aspire to have that many systems folding at once. But I sure can try!!:bigggrin:
    Fold on!!:fold:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Buddha16 wrote:
    Well I think Jon and Sally are doing a superb job doing what they enjoy to do. I can only aspire to have that many systems folding at once. But I sure can try!!:bigggrin:
    Fold on!!:fold:

I echo those sentiments! Well said, Bhudda16. Only two P4's here.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited March 2006
    You'll have to excuse the low quality pictures, taken with a camera phone. Anyway: here we have my server, my media centre and last but not least my games PC. In the flat there's also my flatmates PC (folding in my name :D ) and then at work there's 25 or so P4 Dell desktops all folding away.
  • edited March 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    i do think that people wiht that many systems are taking all the light, but folding is not really as much competition as it is helping find out what p53 (we just studied it in BIO :bigggrin: ) can do for cancer. and I think some of those other progs are just as important. I dont dedicate my whole system to Folding. I dedicate about 30% FOlding, 30% Einstien, 30% SETI, and about 10% others like prediction and climate.

SCAR, do you think that Jon and Sally are doing this to steal the limelight? If so, then you evidently don't know how to read, since Jon has already stated multiple times in this thread his reasons for having his farm. I have a farm of 9 machines but they don't fold here any more due to asshats like you and Enervex and a couple others and I average 3000-4000 points per day with it. So I went back to my original team about a year ago and I'm having fun with them without worrying about little jealous minds. And yeah, the points make it fun and if it weren't for the points, I would only have 1-2 machines running, not 9. Who benefits from this? Not me, since it costs me around $150-250 extra per month in increased electric bills running and cooling my farm. Stanford is the one directly benefitting from all this, since they had the foresight to give points for their project and make something that is an interesting concept a game that we can play with other folks.

Like Jon and Sally, I fold because I truly believe the project has the potential to do some real good in the future with multiple issues concerning health and since I'm not a teenager living in Mommy's house, but rather a man who has been working for a lot more years than you have been alive and I have disposable income to devote to my hobbies. I'm not dissing your age, BTW, because you can't help that; it's your damn attitude that I have a problem with. If you want to compete with the big boys like Jon and Sally, then get together and form a subteam with all your buddies and fold under 1 username. There are no rules against that either here or with the project. I know that folding subteams aren't looked on too favorably here but everyone will accept it if it brings more computers to the project and to the team. If subteams would bring more computers and users to this team than by all means it would be a great addition. Over at the team I have my main effort at, I've seen a giant increase in production in one of the subteams recently due to the team members getting motivated and doing some borging and sneakernetting and now their average PPD totals are in the top 3 or so of the team. Also, if you want to do the other DC projects like you listed, that's great and cool and more power to you. But I for one don't want to dilute the little bit I can contribute across several projects and I chose the Stanford F@H project as my choice because I believe it has the best chance to give help in basic medical research in the mid to moderately long future.

And believe me, Jon, isn't kidding about the extra cost of running those computers; I had to add a window AC unit to my computer room to keep temps under control. With all those Intel machines that Jon and Sally have running, I can't even imagine what their electric bill has gone up to. :hair:

OK, end of rant.
    edited March 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    SCAR, do you think that Jon and Sally are doing this to steal the limelight? If so, then you evidently don't know how to read, since Jon has already stated multiple times in this thread his reasons for having his farm. I have a farm of 9 machines but they don't fold here any more due to asshats like you and Enervex and a couple others and I average 3000-4000 points per day with it. So I went back to my original team about a year ago and I'm having fun with them without worrying about little jealous minds. And yeah, the points make it fun and if it weren't for the points, I would only have 1-2 machines running, not 9. Who benefits from this? Not me, since it costs me around $150-250 extra per month in increased electric bills running and cooling my farm. Stanford is the one directly benefitting from all this, since they had the foresight to give points for their project and make something that is an interesting concept a game that we can play with other folks.

Like Jon and Sally, I fold because I truly believe the project has the potential to do some real good in the future with multiple issues concerning health and since I'm not a teenager living in Mommy's house, but rather a man who has been working for a lot more years than you have been alive and I have disposable income to devote to my hobbies. I'm not dissing your age, BTW, because you can't help that; it's your damn attitude that I have a problem with. If you want to compete with the big boys like Jon and Sally, then get together and form a subteam with all your buddies and fold under 1 username. There are no rules against that either here or with the project. I know that folding subteams aren't looked on too favorably here but everyone will accept it if it brings more computers to the project and to the team. If subteams would bring more computers and users to this team than by all means it would be a great addition. Over at the team I have my main effort at, I've seen a giant increase in production in one of the subteams recently due to the team members getting motivated and doing some borging and sneakernetting and now their average PPD totals are in the top 3 or so of the team. Also, if you want to do the other DC projects like you listed, that's great and cool and more power to you. But I for one don't want to dilute the little bit I can contribute across several projects and I chose the Stanford F@H project as my choice because I believe it has the best chance to give help in basic medical research in the mid to moderately long future.

And believe me, Jon, isn't kidding about the extra cost of running those computers; I had to add a window AC unit to my computer room to keep temps under control. With all those Intel machines that Jon and Sally have running, I can't even imagine what their electric bill has gone up to. :hair:

OK, end of rant.

I did not say they were STEALING the light. And I did not aim it at them. I said they are GETTING the light, meaning WE are the ones giving it to them. Notice also that I did not say that there was anything WRONG with that. I just said it discourages some people from Folding when they are doing it JUST FOR COMPETITION. I am also proud of them and they are helping this team and the Folding cause a lot, and I support that. I didn't mean it as a negative post, but more a positive one, but take it as you will. Also, the reason I'm doing all those projects is because I am more INTERESTED in space and nuetron stars and the hope of finding intelligent life then I am with protiens, and the reason I fold is because I have people to compete against and I know that it will probably be the first to show results and probably the most important in any of our lifetimes. I am a teenager living with his mommy, but like I said, once I am old enough to get a job and have my OWN money to spen, I will get a few more rigs and put them to work, probably dedicate one to folding, one to SETI and EINSTIEN and one for Counter-Strike and such. If i insulted any one in my former post I'm sorry, but I didn't mean to and I didn't aim it specifically at anyone. I know that a lot of you have jobs where you have access to many systems and you think why not put them to work and I would too so I can't blame you and I don't. And maybe you should read my WHOLE post and see what it says instead of picking out things that you can negativly comment on. :mad2:

SRY you guys can get back on topic now.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Pictures, anyone???
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Scar, thanks for your contributions. Often Internet communications don't come off the way we want them to. I think you and Muddocktor are on the same side, but just didn't translate forum posts the same way.
  • edited March 2006
    Ok, one more off topic post and then let's get back to pics of farms. ;)

SCAR, if I interpreted your first post wrong (and I evidently did), then I apologize to you for jumping down your neck so hard. And I didn't mean it to be derogative when I posted about you being a teenager and still living at home; there's nothing that can cure that except time and when you get older and see how much living really costs, you will perceive the sacrifices that Jon and Sally and all the other big time farmers make monetarily. As for the competition, I still stand behind my statement that even folks with just 1 or 2 machines can be competitive even with the big dogs like Jon's Handbrake, by forming subteams. I used to be dead set against them but my perspective has changed quite a bit about subteams in the last year or so. I've seen a couple of subteams get together since I came back to them and they have added quite a few extra computers both to the project and also to the team. A big farmer shouldn't discourage anyone from folding; just because you can't afford to run the machines they can doesn't mean you can't have fun competing. Besides subteams, you can also compete against fellow folders that are in your league, folding wise.

And I also wasn't making fun of you for splitting your DC cycles among different projects. There are many DC projects out there that are deserving of support by someone. But I think that you will find that if you try to share 1 processor between F@H and BOINC for example, 1 or the other will get the majority of the spare cpu cycles. DC projects tend to not share equally when the work is processor intensive like F@H and a lot of BOINC projects. Now assigning different computers to different projects is totally OK, but as for me my machines will stay on 1 project. But if you like doing 3 different DC projects, then more power to you, like I said earlier. ;)

Again, I apologize for misinterpreting you earlier post, but I was still seething from reading the drivel that Enervex posted and your post struck me as another attack at Jon and Sally. :)

Now we can resume the pictures of farms. :cool: