ShortMedia LAN 2005

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Could always get a couple portable air conditioners. If anyone has one, that'd take care of the heat issue. I know Tony has a small one, so I'm going to volunteer his.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    i might be able to round up one or two of those ac units you stick out your window, we could rig um up, is there gunna be some camp fire action? should i bring smore stuff
  • edited May 2005
    ' wrote:
    [V][AGIC']i might be able to round up one or two of those ac units you stick out your window, we could rig um up

If you could that'd be great. It's all we'd need even if the weather did get that bad. We'd just stick the backs out a door we're not using, and wrap the door flap around them.

EDIT: There'll be a grill... but I have no problem burning down Brian's garage in the name of smores.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    You're all forgetting that we can roll the sides of the tents up.. Probably get a nice breeze goin' through the LAN.
  • edited May 2005
    Depends on how bad the weather actually is. I'm not too worried about it myself, just offering alternative ideas to paying ~$1500 on something we coudl throw together ourselves.
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited May 2005
    if its really hot (85-90+) we could round up window type AC units and stack em in the shape of a wall, or place them around the perimeter. i got a nice one in my room i could bring along. 5 or 6 would probably be enough for the tent.
  • edited May 2005
    Less than 6, more like 2, or 3 at the absolute most. Might have to run them for a few hours to get the temp down, but once it's down, it'll stay down.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Guys, I promise you that I do not have enough electrical capacity to support multiple AC units AND 30-40 computers + monitors.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    You'd better have your electric company up your service to 200 Amp before July!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Anyone know how I could get a 19" crt monitor on a plane and a computer.
    If noone can figgure then out theres only like a 10% chance of me getting there :( .
    edited May 2005
    You can ship the computer and borrow a monitor.
    edited May 2005
    20/40 spots are taken. Sign up quick! :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I can bring a spare PC.... then it's just you, you have to ship. :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    I can bring a spare PC, and if the GF is good to me I might let her loan me her 19" monitor for the weekend.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Make that a 50% chance now then :)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2005
    Do you guys think I can put a 20.1 widescreen lcd on the plane with me to carry? I'm not gonna ship it and risk getting broke or anything, but I can hold it in my lap.
    edited May 2005
    You're not allowed to have anything on your lap during takeoff and landing - all items carried on the plane must be stowed under the seat in front of you or above your head in the overhead bins. Most airlines are pretty strict about that rule.
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited May 2005
    well, they let you bring a laptop on a plane, so i dont know why they wouldnt do the same with a lcd monitor in a cary on bag
    edited May 2005
    You could carry it on, as long as you stash it under the seat or in the overhead bin during takeoff and landing. I've never been on a plane where the flight crew allowed me to keep my notebook out during those times.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Was wanting to come to this one but unfortunately am playing at a festival July 30th. :(

Maybe next year....
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2005
    Well I could store it under my feet for take off, that isn't to bad. I just didn't want to put it with my bags and have it all broke and ****. I could pack it really good in a laptop bag I think.
    edited May 2005
    My GF has one of those backpack cases designed especially for a laptop and it is built like a tank. I think you could drop it off Mt. Everest and have the contents survive intact.
    edited May 2005
    Wow. Everyone was so excited about the lan and yet the turnout is alot less than I expected :(
  • edited May 2005
    How many so far?
    edited May 2005
    Sixteen so far. That's not including my kids & me.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2005
    Eh. I'd like to come (and I think Mc.Dubs would if I did... he's not around here much, but a big LAN isn't something we get around this area very often), but I don't know.

It's a long drive. I'm pretty sure my parents said we could drive out there by ourselves, but oh well. My parents would just make a weekend of it somewheres out there they said.

I have no money. I could pull some out of savings, but damn I don't want to. I'll hopefully have a job sometime soon, but I don't know. I need a new keyboard, and some acceptable (not great, but decent) heaphones if I go, too.

I don't know how many of my games will actually work, being that I've got only one or so (probably two or three between us, but still) that's legal. :(

This last one is just me being a whiny bitch and I know it. I'm personally not too keen on taking and keeping my computer outside. It's not theft I'm worried about. It's weather. I live in Wisconsin, which is the same-ish area, so I know what's up. The weather can change so unbelievably fast. If we end up getting a wicked storm, there's no hiding :-/. And whether or not the tent is weather proof isn't going to help much. If it rains, even at all, the ground will be wet. What about fog, too? It's a low chance, but it could happen. Fog so bad you can't see the car ahead of you can't be too good for computers.

Also, crap crawls around on the ground. It's unlikely, but I don't want a beetle or whatever frying something. ;D

I'll think about it. 80% chance I won't be there, as much as I'd like to :(
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    We Nexlians are still undecided. We don't make decisions very quickly.
    edited May 2005
    We're getting a floor. Like a real floor. The tent is weatherproof - these are the tents that bands play in and things like that.

In fact, think of it as a structure. it's not a tent.
    edited May 2005
    Guys, those who attend the LAN will remember it as one of the top events of their lives. You'll get to have a great weekend partying and fragging with your friends from Short-Media, and meet a bunch of the nicest and coolest folks you'll ever know. I'll even let Snuffie hump my leg again, if that will change some minds. :eek:

Just think of how much fun you'll have for the next year having been a part of all the events we'll be talking about for months and months to come. :D
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited May 2005
    I'm trying to convince Park to tag along with me for the 12 hour road trip. So if he's in.. we might be there. :thumbsup: