ShortMedia LAN 2005

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    absolutely. I can give her lots of referrals too :)

You think she's bad, blackhawk's mom was REALLY nervous about sending her baby this far ;);D
    edited June 2005
    Update on power issue:

Tonight microman brought over an inline multimeter. We hooked it up to my computer, my lcd monitor, and kyle's CRT monitor.

My computer is a 2600+, 500w psu, three HDs, a 9800 pro, 4 case fans. It would be safe to assume that this probably represents the "average" lan computer.

Computer (while folding and playing UT2k4 at full bore) - 2 amps
    LCD: .5 amps
    CRT: .75 amps

So with these numbers, we calculated it all out and if we estimate pessimistically, we will need around 185 amps for this adventure. I have 100 amps currently, with another 20 from a neighbor.

I put in a request from the local power company to upgrade to 200amp service which, combined with my neighbor's 20amps, will provide us with 220 amps total, more than enough to run my household and 40 computers.

I am willing to invest in the power infrastructure, especially since if this event works out, I will probably hold it here annually.

The tent will be literally 5 feet from my garage. We will be installing a 100 amp subpanel in my garage and pulling 4 more feeds using commercial (20amp) extension cables to the tent - 3 from my basement, directly at the breaker panel, and another from my neighbor's dedicated 20 amp outdoor circuit.

Is this satisfactory to team nexlia? ;)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Zero1 wrote:
    Lol ill join in as well if there is room..... :D

wow!...didnt realize there were that many miserians on S-M!

maybe we need to start a short-media missouri mini lan ;D

Penguin, Ill let ya know here in a little while if I can go... might have to bribe/buy the wife some new clothes or something :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Team Durrrrrrr.... I mean Team Nexlia... Wouldn't be the same without you guys.

As for everyone else... Since Blackhawk can't make it... who's the chopper ace? :cool:
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2005
    Update on power issue:
    The tent will be literally 5 feet from my garage. We will be installing a 100 amp subpanel in my garage and pulling 4 more feeds using commercial (20amp) extension cables to the tent - 3 from my basement, directly at the breaker panel, and another from my neighbor's dedicated 20 amp outdoor circuit.
    The electrician in me wants to ask are you putting RCDs on the supplies?
    edited June 2005
    what's an RCD?

//edit: ah, here in the US we call those GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor)... And yes, you have to by code here.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    absolutely. I can give her lots of referrals too :)

You think she's bad, blackhawk's mom was REALLY nervous about sending her baby this far ;);D

I bet she wanted a deposit based on a safe return.

Tex
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2005

Like I said, I'm going primarily for the social aspect of things, but it's nice to power the PCs as well - based on what you've said, Brian, it looks like our power situation will be a LOT more secure than it was at Deebe's! Consider me attending.
    edited June 2005
    If I can make it to the S-M LAN it's strictly a social affair. I don't game and see no need to drag a puter along on an airplane. In my past this has proven to be a risky proposition even with the best professional shipping crates.

Tex
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    This will be the first time I am attending, and I am much more comfortable with the power situation now :D Thanks for working so hard to make everyone happy. I will be attending.
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited June 2005
    Tex wrote:
    If I can make it to the S-M LAN it's strictly a social affair. I don't game and see no need to drag a puter along.

Tex
    How unfortunate... I was so looking forward to having my revenge!
    edited June 2005
    revenge? for what?
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited June 2005
    So QCH is bugging me like a little brother about the SM LAN so I figured I'd better respond. ;D

I would like to make the event; however, I have a single concern - effective cooling for the tent. Even if we put just 20 computers in the tent, without an effective cooling solution, it's going to get pretty miserable.

Sure we can roll up the sides but then your letting in quite a bit of extra sunlight, which as we all know makes it very difficult to see both CRTs and LCDs.

In my opinion this structure needs to be primarily closed off during the day and with an average daytime temp of 80+ degrees, we'll have the makings for a nice indian sweat lodge unless we can find a decent cooling solution.

A/C would be the best and I would be happy to pay the $60 dollars to do this right and not have to worry about heatstroke or my system melting down.

I'm curious as to what others might feel about this as well. The subject was touched on briefly here but I feel it's right up there with "power" in regards of importance.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    .hmmm NAKED LAN PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rarr::rarr::rarr::rarr::rarr::rarr::rarr:
  • edited June 2005
    oCoMiK wrote:
    So QCH is bugging me like a little brother about the SM LAN so I figured I'd better respond. ;D

I would like to make the event; however, I have a single concern - effective cooling for the tent. Even if we put just 20 computers in the tent, without an effective cooling solution, it's going to get pretty miserable.

Sure we can roll up the sides but then your letting in quite a bit of extra sunlight, which as we all know makes it very difficult to see both CRTs and LCDs.

In my opinion this structure needs to be primarily closed off during the day and with an average daytime temp of 80+ degrees, we'll have the makings for a nice indian sweat lodge unless we can find a decent cooling solution.

A/C would be the best and I would be happy to pay the $60 dollars to do this right and not have to worry about heatstroke or my system melting down.

I'm curious as to what others might feel about this as well. The subject was touched on briefly here but I feel it's right up there with "power" in regards of importance.

It's safe to say we'll have AC there in case we need it.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    oCoMiK wrote:
    ...The subject was touched on briefly here but I feel it's right up there with "power" in regards of importance.
    Mantouch! :eek:
    edited June 2005
    TheSmJ wrote:
    It's safe to say we'll have AC there in case we need it.

No it's not. AC is $1800 + a diesel generator running (which the neighbors won't go for)

We are getting a couple of tornado fans to vent air sideways.
  • edited June 2005
    What happened to the portable ACs some of us were going to bring?
    edited June 2005
    well, i just can't visualize that, but if you think it's worth a shot, bring some window units.
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited June 2005
    Just grow a pair and tough it out..

I work down at a steel mill with a furnace that gets hotter than 1500 degrees, the building is easily 100+ in certain spots all the time. There are tons of computers that run the equipment.. and they do just fine and so will you.

;D
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2005
    Man. It's just not looking good. I haven't had time to officially clear it with anyone, and a job is right around the corner... so I don't know if I'd have enough clout to take off a weekend if the need be.

And thanks Keebler. If I end up coming, and I haven't bought those items by then, I'll hit you up :) I appreciate the offer.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2005
    Awww...entropy..you have to be there bro.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Second Clutch's comments... You HAVE to go, dude.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    well, i just can't visualize that, but if you think it's worth a shot, bring some window units.

I'm not sure having several window A/C units will do a lot of good for the power situation. I mean, even window air conditioners draw HUGE amounts of power, we have a seperate breaker that goes just to the plug our A/C is on, it's really going to sap the power you were concerned about for all the PCs.
    edited June 2005
    :bawling: :bawling:

I don't believe my parents are going to let me attend the LAN this year. I've fought with them many times now, but they always try and come up with some little thing to hold me back (when ever I prove to them that their previous argument is dumb).

Someone else from Missouri will have to work on a potential car pool.

I WILL be there next year.
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited June 2005
    :bawling: :bawling:

I don't believe my parents are going to let me attend the LAN this year. I've fought with them many times now, but they always try and come up with some little thing to hold me back (when ever I prove to them that their previous argument is dumb).

Someone else from Missouri will have to work on a potential car pool.

I WILL be there next year.

Come on Jeff! Tell them that my approval alone is enough reason to go.

KEEP FIGHTING THEM!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited June 2005
    what's an RCD?

//edit: ah, here in the US we call those GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor)... And yes, you have to by code here.

RCD, risidual current device, they used to be called ELCBs, earth leakage circuit breakers, but after a commitee of euro experts spent several millions of pounds they came up with the new name. Always nice to know they're not wasting it. :)
    edited June 2005
    Come on Jeff! Tell them that my approval alone is enough reason to go.

KEEP FIGHTING THEM!

Right.. :wtf:

I have not given up hope, it's just that I highly doubt they will let me go.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    lol...they let you work in a steel mill, but they won't let you go to a lan party :p
    edited June 2005
    shwaip, I'm going to have to add that to my arsenal of arguments. :D

They're just scared of me breaking down and being stranded or prime being a child molester. :eek: