ShortMedia LAN 2005

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2005
    Someday...
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited June 2005
    Most of the Missouri crew is 17. I've tried and tried but the parents keep giving me a big no. I think most of the guys were waiting on my parents to say ok so that they could tell theirs that I already got approved. It's sad, I know. :bawling:

The Missouri crew would be more than happy to hold a SM LAN in Missouri, it's a nice central location. We've already got a LANing group set up and numerous locations we can use. My parents would go for that one. :thumbsup:
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    What's their main concern?
    edited June 2005
    The 24+ hours that I'd have to drive round trip. What if I get hurt or something, I'd be so far away. What if the boogey man got me. They're real skeptical of the internet and are afraid that you guys aren't who you really say you are. They just kept naming off really stupid stuff.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    i'm kind of busy in summer, i don't think i can make the time avilable to come to the LAN.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    They're real skeptical of the internet and are afraid that you guys aren't who you really say you are. They just kept naming off really stupid stuff.
    It's good to know some parents out there care very much about their children and love them completely. It's unfortunate that they don't understand the community of caring, supportive people here at Short-Media. Can't blame them. They don't have the time to visit the forums as much as you (or I) do.

I took a long road trip when I was 17. Parents went with me. ;D

With that said, I feel for you. Wish there was a way to impart to your parents about the responsible, organized hosts of the S-M LAN.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I really wish I could go, but I don't know what it will be like for me at that time. I have very little money with my parents gorging me becuase I was gorging them in Florida, and I am trying to move to Dallas to find a job there near my cousins. I swore I'd go to this one, but I just don't think I can. Even tried pretending it wasn't gonna happen despite the repeated sightings of S-M Lan 2005 thread(s). :bawling:
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Authority, ask them what you would need to do to come to the LAN.
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited June 2005
    The 24+ hours that I'd have to drive round trip. What if I get hurt or something, I'd be so far away. What if the boogey man got me. They're real skeptical of the internet and are afraid that you guys aren't who you really say you are. They just kept naming off really stupid stuff.

Yeah, I already talked to my parent about it, im good to go. I was waiting for the "ok" from you. Maybe things will shape up.... If the "boogey man" wants to try something, im sure that four 17 year olds could poke his **** in ;D
    I understand the whole "what if the internet people arent who they say they are" but being around these forums gives you a real sense that everyone is who they are and you feel like you've personally known them for a while. We could switch drivers every once in a while, im a damn good driver, I just dont have a very good sense of direction.....at all. As long as someone is there to tell me where to go and what turn to make then we can get there safely. Keep pushing, ive gotta ask for those days off in advance.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited June 2005
    sorry, i don't think i will be able to make it. my job scheduling is pretty much week to week so i don't really know in advance if i can take time off. makes plane tickets really expensive if you can't get them early. plus i just moved/drove to new york from chicago about a month ago, so i don't know if i can handle two major road trips in such a short time span.

i would like to attend and actually meet some of you guys, but wouldn't be able to let you know untill right before the LAN. might be able to do a random pop-in if i am not busy that week. but if we have to commit by a certain time i am afraid i won't be able to.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I cant make it because the flight would cost me £600+ (around $1200!) and I have a phase one rollout on that weekend as well now (I was told yesterday) :(

Enjoy it.. it's well worth going! :D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Authority, would having them call Brian help?

If you have AAA, you can't get stranded :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Ryko, there is a road trip contingent coming from NY. And by contingent, I mean Kwitko... A possible carpool?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    Shorty wrote:
    I cant make it because the flight would cost me £600+ (around $1200!) and I have a phase one rollout on that weekend as well now (I was told yesterday) :(

Enjoy it.. it's well worth going! :D

I think Rob and I should fly to the UK and party with you and Nat instead.

Believe it or not.. it's not that much more expensive to see you guys in the UK versus stay in a tent in Detroit, if I can get cheap hotel rates.

Tex
    edited June 2005
    for real, sometime domestic flight isn't much cheaper than international flights.

i ijust took a trip to china in may, and the roundtrip ticket cost me about 800 USD.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Registration fee sent <3
  • rykoryko new york
    edited June 2005
    Ryko, there is a road trip contingent coming from NY. And by contingent, I mean Kwitko... A possible carpool?

hmmmm.......very interesting. Kwitko what's your plan?
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I had to back out last year, I'm game this time around though.
    edited June 2005
    Authority, would having them call Brian help?

If you have AAA, you can't get stranded :)

They have Brian's number in their posession but I don't think they'll call. It's just a flat out no right now, no matter what I try. I'll make it there next year.. if it's the last thing I do.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Hurry guys... I can assure you, this LAN is something you don't want to miss!!!!
    edited June 2005
    They have Brian's number in their posession but I don't think they'll call. It's just a flat out no right now, no matter what I try. I'll make it there next year.. if it's the last thing I do.

Looks like all hope is lost for me. He was my ride and that would have made a total of 3 or 4 more people coming. Tell them to call Brian. Seriously.
    edited June 2005
    Yeah, to reassure them, just show them this, one of last year's attendees.... ;) err.. I mean.. um...

show them this... There's not one face in that crowd that would hurt a fly... :)
    edited June 2005
    Well.... would driving to Illinois then having someone drive you the rest help any?
    edited June 2005
    How much room do you have? He was planning on taking a couple more people(including me).
    edited June 2005
    I have a mini van... I could bring 3 others and still carry the PC stuff. I'm just out side of Chicago. If you can get to me, I can drive to Detroit. I WAS going to leave Wednesday night or Thursday morning so I can help setup... Let me know if this helps. I don't want to leave any later than 10:00 AM on Thursday. I have a tent you could borrow and you can camp out back Wednesday, if you like.
    edited June 2005
    Three more days to sign up!

You can still register after Saturday but you will probably not get a T-Shirt :(

Sorry, but we have to get these things ordered.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited June 2005
    On a similar note.. I'm making those nifty laminated nametags that you'll be wearing and noone pays attention too. So please, if you came to the 2004 Lan and still have that nametag, bring it. For those of you who are first-timers, I need your Avatar and first name, you can pvt msg me that info. :mullet:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I PMed you my info. Did ya get it?
    edited June 2005
    I loved the name tags... I paid attention to them.... :thumbsup:
    edited June 2005
    i still have my name tag from last year, love it.