ATI: Flashing The Radeon 9800 Non-Pro To A 9800 Pro

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    yes those chips will do 200 aka (400) real easy.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I notice that a LOT of guests are viewing this thread. People, don't be shy! Sign up to our forums, you'll have a good time, I swear!

And while you're at it, join Team 93, one of the best protein folding supercomputers on the entire planet.
  • edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    I notice that a LOT of guests are viewing this thread. People, don't be shy! Sign up to our forums, you'll have a good time, I swear!

And while you're at it, join Team 93, one of the best protein folding supercomputers on the entire planet.

Done-Deal mate :)

I'd also like to know if all the Hercules 9800NP's have Samsung memory.
    Thanks!
    -snipe
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Thanks for signing up, sniPe... :) Welcome to the forums!
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    sniPe said
    Thanks!
    -snipe

Looks like Hercules adheres to the reference design of ATI's Radeon 9800 Non Pro and utilizes the Samsung 3.3ns DDR memory. :)

According to our associate over @ MadShrimps.be, who owns a Hercules 9800 Non-Pro, he successfully flashed his 9800 Non-Pro to the 9800 Pro BIOS without incident. His Hercules 9800 Non-Pro utilized Samsung's 3.3ns DDR memory. :)
  • edited October 2003
    SimGuy said
    sniPe said
    Thanks!
    -snipe

Looks like Hercules adheres to the reference design of ATI's Radeon 9800 Non Pro and utilizes the Samsung 3.3ns DDR memory. :)

According to our associate over @ MadShrimps.de, who owns a Hercules 9800 Non-Pro, he successfully flashed his 9800 Non-Pro to the 9800 Pro BIOS without incident. His Hercules 9800 Non-Pro utilized Samsung's 3.3ns DDR memory. :)

ok thanks.
    ( its www.madshrimps.be tho , not .de :p )
    edited October 2003
    sniPe said
    SimGuy said
    sniPe said
    Thanks!
    -snipe

According to our associate over @ MadShrimps.de, who owns a Hercules 9800 Non-Pro, he successfully flashed his 9800 Non-Pro to the 9800 Pro BIOS without incident. His Hercules 9800 Non-Pro utilized Samsung's 3.3ns DDR memory. :)

ok thanks.
    ( its www.madshrimps.be tho , not .de :p )

:doh: Thanks for the heads up :D
    I guess I should have had my glasses on when trying to type that post out early this morning :D
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I'm anxious as hell to buy a 9800 NP and do this, but I'm waiting to see what effect the XP has on the 9800 prices.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    XT you silly goose. ;[
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    XP, XT, XXX......they all cost you money and leave you wanting something more!
    edited October 2003
    I've updated the guide with some preliminary benchmark numbers off my own system and added some information regarding the different types of memory found on the Radeon 9800's.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited October 2003
    I'm sold! I recently upgraded to a 2.4C (@2.8ghz) on a P4P800. This thing smokes, especially the memory bandwith. The only bottleneck is my Radeon 9000, which is why I find this guide so damned interesting. Has anyone here had problems doing this? Just trying to gauge my chances.. There's a local retailer whos having a special on sapphire 9800s, ($355CDN) they will check for me what type of ram they use. I'll tell you how things go.

No luck, their cards all have the sub-par Infineon RAM. They claim they have had a few Samsung cards in but they are very rare. I told them to contact me if/when they get anymore in. I also fired off e-mails to a few retailers in Ontario. I blame this forum for my new obsession.

Cool, found a place with a Sapphire 9800 with Samsung Memory. It will cost me $401 CDN (Including tax) but I think it's worth it. If I don't bork it with the bios flash!
  • edited October 2003
    DogSoldier said
    I'm sold! I recently upgraded to a 2.4C (@2.8ghz) on a P4P800. This thing smokes, especially the memory bandwith. The only bottleneck is my Radeon 9000, which is why I find this guide so damned interesting. Has anyone here had problems doing this? Just trying to gauge my chances.. There's a local retailer whos having a special on sapphire 9800s, ($355CDN) they will check for me what type of ram they use. I'll tell you how things go.
    omg !
    when reading your post i tought i saw 'my bottleneck is radeon 9800'
    nice try to make me faint ( since i just ordered a 9800! )
    :eek3::crazy:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I read it the same way and just about had a heart attack!

Welcome to the forums, sniPe and DogSoldier.
  • edited October 2003
    I've seen a lot of cards thats says that the chipset is 9800Se an that they are Non Pro. What does the chipset should say to aplyy the mod. 9800NP ?
    edited October 2003
    The 9800SE CANNOT be modded into the 9800 Pro.

The 9800SE only has 4 working pixel pipelines, while the 9800 Non-Pro has 8, which are required to match the performance of the 9800 Pro (8 pixel pipelines).
  • edited October 2003
    Ive just successfully 'upgraded' my Dell oem ATI Radeon NP to the 9800 Pro using a custom bootable cdrom image with ramdrive (needed to since have ntfs harddisks and no floppy), burnt to CD very easily using nero 6 (create bootable CD with image file option).

when executing "flashrom -p 0 98-8004.bin" i got the error message:

"timeout poll - rom idle after bulk erase. error: 0FL01"

which got me worried that i'd wiped the 9800 bios without flashing a new one.
    i just did "flashrom -p 0 98-8004.bin" again and it gave me the success message.

i now have a 378mhz/337.5mhz card instead of a 324mhz/290mhz as reported by Powerstrip!

i have the 2.88Meg Bootable CD Image file for Nero if anyone needs help doing the same.

also i'm using 2.8ns samsung, ready to o/c !!

Another thing: I stupidly installed the latest catalyst 3.8 drivers at the same time as the bios upgrade. i booted up quake3 to find that everything was dark shades of red. other 3d games were the same - i thought all had gone wrong with the flash but after some playing I found that I had turned on the Smartshader effects in the drivers (i'd set them to "classic")

good luck with your upgrades!
  • edited October 2003
    Well I checked some sites for prices and I found the non pro version to be $260.00, and the Pro version to be $300.00..........So for the extra $40.00 I will get the real deal, no chances taken and guarenteed for speed!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    No fun playing it safe :rarr:
  • edited October 2003
    I've successfully flashed my ATI Radeon 9800 Non Pro card and it tested fine with FutureMark's 3DMark2003 but I'm having problems playing Madden 2004. Lets just say the graphics are really screwed up looking especially the stadium and crowd graphics. Does anyone else have problems with this game?
    edited October 2003
    What type of card do you have (specifically, what manufacturer made your video card)?

What Catalyst/Omega driver do you have installed?

Before the flash, were the graphics in Madden 2004 fine?
  • edited October 2003
    The manufacturer is ATI Technologies.

I have the ATI Catalyst 3.8 WHQL
    Version: 6.14.10.6387
    drivers installed (10-08-03).

The graphics were fine before the flash. I've tried other games (MOH, Vice City, Halo, Freedom Fighters) and they seem to all work fine.
  • edited October 2003
    I'm kind of new at this, but i noticed Windows 98 Boot Disk, and I was wondering if this BIOS flash would work on any operating system, like Windows 2000 professional, or does it matter?

Thanks for your help
  • edited October 2003
    Can I do the same thing with a 9600 NP ?

I found a Shappire 9600 with 256mb and it costs like 200U$D and I wonder if I can make it work like a 9600 PRO.

If yes I'll be buying a new card.

:scratch:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Hi-Fi,

$200? Ditch that idea and get a 9800 non-pro for just about the same money. MUCH better card and with Samsung memory, an easy flash and it´s a 9800 PRO worth $350
    edited October 2003
    Hi-Fi: Yes, you can overclock the Radeon 9600 to 9600 Pro speeds, but even with extreme overclocking, you won't reach the performance levels of a Radeon 9500 Pro, let alone a Radeon 9800 Pro.

Follow Mackanz's advice on the 9800 NP :)

Pyro1111: Welcome to Short-Media. Yes, the flash will work on any operating system. I simply stated that a Windows 98 Boot Disk is needed because it allows you to boot your system to a DOS prompt, allowing you to flash the BIOS. Any boot disk will work, as long as you can get to the DOS prompt.

OoOMinhOoO: Did you re-install the Catalyst 3.8 software after you performed the soft-mod. Try doing that. If it doesn't help, try rolling back to the Catalyst 3.7's. The Catalyst 3.8's might have a previously undiscovered bug that corrupts textures in Madden 2004 with an R360 9800 Pro card, but not with a 9800 Non-Pro card (yes, sounds weird, but it is possible). :)
  • edited October 2003
    Hi again.
    I'm getting my HERCULES 9800 NP Thursday, but i'm not sure if I'll do the mod.
    I'm scared my card will get damaged or something.
    What are the potential risks of doing the mod?
    Thanks
    sniPe
    edited October 2003
    Before you do the mod, check the memory chips on your 9800 NP. If they are samsung, you can flash the card and it will work.

If they are Infineon, don't flash the card. Just overclock it using Rage3D Tuner.

If you've got Samsung memory, try overclocking your card to 380/340 through Rage3D Tuner BEFORE you flash the BIOS and run a trial of 3DMark. If it passes, you're good to go with the flash.

What's the worst thing that can happen? Your card won't initialize due to a bad BIOS flash. You'll need a PCI video card and a copy of the ORIGINAL BIOS on your 9800 NP in order to fix it back to the way it was when you first received it. :)

Best of luck!
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    snipe,

None at all. IF the flash would go borked, use an old pci graphics to restore it. As of yet, i have never heard of anyone kill their 9800 NP because of this. Just flash it as you flash a mainboard and everything should be just fine. Using Internet is more dangeorus theese days.
    edited October 2003
    A word of warning to anyone who HAS or is GOING TO flash their Radeon 9800 to a 9800 Pro, please read this thread concerning overheating & hardware failure of Radeon 9800's (whether an actually R360 card or a R300 card soft-modded to perform like a R360) when using the Catalyst 3.8 drivers.

Catalyst 3.8's Overheating Radeon 9800's