ATI: Flashing The Radeon 9800 Non-Pro To A 9800 Pro

Comments

• edited April 2004
    Mackanz where do you get this volt mod and exactly what does it do? I have used the omega 4.4 softmod on my 9800se and it seems to have worked as my aquamark before modding was 27.000 and after modding my score is 38.000. I have the 8 pipelines and 256bit memory and all that does itsound like it has worked to you?
  • edited August 2004
    I have a 9800NP with the Samsung 349 memory. Will this flash work? Thanks a lot. :)
  • edited August 2004
    -Oliver- wrote:
    I have a 9800NP with the Samsung 349 memory. Will this flash work? Thanks a lot. :)

Anyone? Please.
  • edited August 2004
    www.omegadrivers.net get them there! :Rocker:
  • edited August 2004
    Thanks very much for this! I flashed my 9800 (with samsung 3.3) to a pro with no problems, cpu from 324 to 378 and memory from 290 to 337.50 :) My benchmark score in 3dmark 2003 went from 5115 to 5738 :celebrate
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2004
    joosie88 wrote:
    Thanks very much for this! I flashed my 9800 (with samsung 3.3) to a pro with no problems, cpu from 324 to 378 and memory from 290 to 337.50 :) My benchmark score in 3dmark 2003 went from 5115 to 5738 :celebrate

You should be able to overclock your core even more if its got decent cooling on it. Mine goes up to about 430mhz. I dont know whether you'll get much more out of your memory though.
  • edited August 2004
    I'm runnung my Hercules, AIW, 9800SE, 128MB, 256bit
    With 8 working pipelines, cpu speed of 412mhz and mem speed of 378mhz(758DDR) Using the Omega 4.7 cat drivers.
    Have an Aquamark score of 42.758
    3D Mark score of 6135

Not bad really. :Rocker: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag: :ukflag:
  • edited August 2004
    great guide to the flash! thanks for all the info. i did the flash on my ati 9800np and everything went smoothly. i installed the catalyst 4.8s and when i ran 3dmark03 everything was running great until the mother nature test. i got severe artifacts in the water. before the flash i had just oced the card and i had to back off the memory at about 320 but got the core to 368. now after the flash, i can get the memory fine at the 9800pro stock speeds of 337.5 but can only get lik 355 out of the core?! the 3dmark03 scores are just the same as i was getting when i just oced. im curious as to why i seem to be the only person having artifacts b/c of the core.... im running the stock cooling on it w/ the case open and my room is constantly 70-72 degrees F. any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
  • edited October 2004
    hi all
    having read all this thread it sounds pretty cool, but pretty baffling. I bought a comp with a ati 9800 256mb in it, and tried running 3dmark05 on it. i got a score of 1091 which struck me as quite low. the information 3dmark05 read of my card follows this, but i was suprised by how low the memory clock was- why is this when this thread suggested (i seem to remember) it should be set at a much higher minimum. Really not very computer wise so probably won't be tinkering with the card, but id like to know what i could do to it if i wanted. Thanks for any advice, explanation of what my card is, or even any mildly distracting anecdotes involving a spanish waiter, a slippery floor, and a cheese knife are welcome.

RADEON 9800 SERIES Driver 6.14.10.6467

Description RADEON 9800 SERIES
    Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc.
    Total Local Video Memory 256 MB
    Total Local Texture Memory 256 MB
    Total AGP Memory 128 MB
    Driver File ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version 6.14.10.6467
    Driver Details 8.042-040803a-016701C-ATI
    Driver Date 8-3-2004
    Driver WHQL Certified true
    Max Texture Width 2048 px
    Max Texture Height 2048 px
    Max User Clipping Planes 6
    Max Active Hardware Lights 8
    Max Texture Blending Stages 8
    Fixed Function Textures In Single Pass 8
    Vertex Shader Version 2.0
    Pixel Shader Version 2.0
    Max Vertex Blend Matrices 37
    Max Texture Coordinates 8
    VGA Memory Clock 202.5 MHz
    VGA Core Clock 378.0 MHz

PCI
    Name RADEON 9800 SERIES
    Vendor ID 0x1002
    Device ID 0x4148
    SubSystem ID 0x41481002
    Revision ID 0x00
  • edited October 2004
    hmm thats odd. you havnt changed anything on your card or has somebody else played with it? the memory speed should be 337.5 or 338. 202.5 is really really low. another thing is where it says radeon 9800 series. my friend has a 9800pro 256 and it shows up as a 9800pro. try getting ATI tray tools then once you get it installed, go to the hardware>overclocking settings and try to set it to default and see if the memory changes.. if it doesnt than that is the default memory speeds for your cards bios i think.. odd..
  • edited October 2004
    did all that and it has set my core at 380, and my memory at 203. Everywhere i look it says the 9800se should have higher memory, as you say, but it looks like mine doesn't. I haven't tinkered with my card, unless tiny did before sending it to me, im not really sure why its like this. iF you know, could i softmod it? or does the low memory guarantee that it'll blow up? and when using a softmod does it increase the running heat? thanks
  • edited October 2004
    so its a 256mb version of a 9800se? man thats weird.. i would try using the ati tray tools to set your memory up higher, going in about 10mhz incriments until you get up to the stock speeds and running 3d mark to see if you get any snowy looking white dots(artifacts) if you dont get any at stock speeds i think you should be fine to save the settings in ati tools and set it to keep those settings at startup...
  • edited November 2004
    Well, i just got my Sapphire 9800 non pro 256 MB card and tried flashing....worked just fine up until i rebooted....got a garbled screen with ASCII charachters and pretty flashing lights...not exactly the graphics upgrade i was looking for! LOL

Any reason this might not be working? :( It is Samsung 3.3 memory...everything else seemed like it was correct....i reflashed to the non-pro bios and am running it without the updated bios...help! :confused:
  • edited November 2004
    From the info I've gotten from this thread, I registered and bought a card from ebay.. It seems the cards have evolved alot since the creation of this thread a year ago.. Still, my question is: Can you mix different Bios's?

Why I'm asking, the card is a POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9800 Video Card, 256MB DDR, 8x AG.. the box shows 350/300.. now, I don't know the type of RAM yet, and I got discouraged the more I progressed in this thread... I still took a chance as my 8500 LE 64mb just doesn't cut it anymore.. I'm hoping at least to OC it via Rage 3d which I've been using for 2 years now.. I'm really hoping the RAM is Samsung..

Anyway, from this Bios collection site, http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/
    Powercolor doesn't have a Pro BIOS for with 256MB, can I use ATI's?

Thanks
  • edited November 2004
    I'm guessing since this card is a little faster than the older 9800 that the RAM has to bet of better quality??????

This is it http://www.power-color.com/R98E-PD3.htm

Anybody??

Well from the picture, I'd say it's neither.. so I'm guessing something else, I also can't find an ATI non-pro 256.. but can find the pro 256.. one has one, and the other has the other... lol..
  • edited November 2004
    has anyone got the 9800 np 256M to work with the mod?

since a 9800pro 256M can be mod into XT... wont this NP 256 be able to do the same thing???
  • edited November 2004
    I'll let you know when I try my NP... :) probably next week...
  • edited November 2004
    Cool thanx!

btw, which card u have. I know that Saphire has two versions... one is 128bt mem bandwidth and one is 256bit... and they are both 256M in size... very weird...
  • edited November 2004
    the powercolor, from their website has 128 bit bus.. I'm eager to have it in my hands...
  • edited November 2004
    think the card has to be 256bit for the mod to work. right?
  • edited November 2004
    I would think the important is flashing with the same bus size.. I don't think it makes any difference the actual size..
  • edited November 2004
    Now I'm pissed off... why do they make 128 bit cards with 256MB memory, and 256bit cards with 128MB of memory.. :werr: :banghead:
  • edited November 2004
    FrankNB wrote:
    I'm guessing since this card is a little faster than the older 9800 that the RAM has to bet of better quality??????

This is it http://www.power-color.com/R98E-PD3.htm

Anybody??

Well from the picture, I'd say it's neither.. so I'm guessing something else, I also can't find an ATI non-pro 256.. but can find the pro 256.. one has one, and the other has the other... lol..

Alright, I'm new to the forums (happened to find this post while doing a google search) so this would be my first post :)

Just recently I built my own computer, and due to lack of funds, I settled with this card that FrankNB has mentioned above.

Just wondering if it would be possible to flash mine and get it to act like a 9800 pro?

I'm sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else, however I only read the first few pages, noticed they were from 2003, so I skipped to the last page.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Almost forgot, for some reason this card shows up as being a 9800 Pro everywhere in my computer (without the bios flash).
  • edited November 2004
    That's interesting, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.. so I can't say anything yet..
  • edited November 2004
    Alright well if you do attempt to do it, let me know. I would have to buy another a:\ drive, or use my roommates because my current one doesn't really...work? hehe

Any idea why mine would be saying 9800 Pro already?

It's obviously not a Pro, as which can be seen by my 3dmark03 score. It was something like a 4093.
  • edited November 2004
    my guess since the 256M could be 128bit... that means you cant mod into a 9800 pro. even if u flash it and it somehow works... it wont have the same performance as a pro

IMO a 9700 pro is much more worthy than a 9800 non pro.

also if u can get ur hands on a 9500 non pro moddable to 9700PRO... then that saves you big money. (thats what i have right now... softmod works and no problems at all)

and after u mod... be sure to get a good fan. I highly recommend the VGA Silencers. they are amazing! :mullet:
  • edited November 2004
    Hello I tried to flash my Radeon 9800 non pro and the computer didnt boot.
    I did everything you said(putting in a PCI card and all that), but when I trie to flash back to my original.bin the flash-program says:
    SERIAL ROM
    Bios Device ID=0x4E48
    Asic Device ID=0x414A

ASIC DeviceID does not match with BIOS file "original.bin" DeviceID!
    Use ´-f´to force flashing.

ERROR 0FL01: Press´1´to continue.

Do the program trie to flash my pci card?
    Please help! I want my 9800 to work again! :bawling:
  • edited November 2004
    That sucks Jokko!!

I wonder what's the performance difference between the 128bit mem and 256bit mem?
  • edited November 2004
    FrankNB wrote:
    That sucks Jokko!!

I wonder what's the performance difference between the 128bit mem and 256bit mem?

Yes it sucks, but that wasnt a very helpful reply.
  • edited November 2004
    Can anyone help me?? :bawling:
    Should I force flashing?
    I tried to use -f, but only a list of command came up.