ATI: Flashing The Radeon 9800 Non-Pro To A 9800 Pro

Comments

• MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited December 2003
    Sorry, no help here with a utility for brightness control. But how old's your monitor? I have no trouble on my Viewsonic G71f+ with a Powercolor 9500np modded to a 9700np. But then it has three levels of brightness for text, gaming and DVD's. It looks fine on my five year old generic 19" monitor as well. Maybe it's time to upgrade.....

And goldboi, I have yet to have a lick of trouble from my Powercolor Evil Commando 9500 np that took to the softmod with flying colors and became a 9700 np extracting an almost 2000 point gain in 3Dmark 2001 se for $170 last Christmas. I am VERY pleased and would recommend one to anybody (with the L ram config that is) who wants dirX 9 and killer framerates. Got bragging rights for the fastest 9500 in town to boot! Best videocard I ever had.:thumbup
  • edited December 2003
    My card will flash fine, but it feels like it is getting very hot to the touch. I was only using stock cooling. I flashed it back to the normal bios just in case it was getting to hot. It was running fine in 3d aps but I don't know what happens when a card goes...would it just all of a sudden quit on me or would i get artifacts first??? I used it for 3dmark 03 and 01 and they both ran fine with no artifacts. I was using stock cooling too on an:
    AMD 2700+
    Radeon 9800
    350W Antec PS
    80 GB HD
    I put in an antec cyclone blower to vent hot air from the case. If you guys think it will run ok i will just reflash it...also is it possible to "over flash" a card???
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited December 2003
    Unless you flash the BIOS thousands of times, you're fine. The BIOS is programmed in an EEPROM module that's designed to be rewritten (ie flashed).

I suggest some type of active cooling on the card, whether it's a side-panel fan blowing on it, or some type of card cooler to exhaust hot air, just something to get the air moving across the card. Did you check to make sure you're stock heatsink is making proper contact with the Radeon 9800 NP core?
  • edited December 2003
    do you have any suggestions for cooling? I don't really feel comfortable with most of the cooling solutions I have seen, they all involve removing the stock fan and replacing it with something...i believe the 2 i checked into were a zalman(sp) heatshing or a fan called arctic cooling (i think). I don't feel i am experienced enough to be changing things like that around. I don't have anything DIRECTLY blowing on the card at the moment.
    edited December 2003
    I recommend the Global Win CAF-12 Card Cooler. If you can't change the heatsink or fan on the video card, the best way to cool it is to actively cool it with some type of fan.

The CAF-12 Card Cooler doesn't take up any PCI/AGP slots, has a power-pass through and can install in a matter of seconds.

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/cooling%5Fdevices/globalwin%5Fcaf12/

Great little device :)
  • edited December 2003
    Will that fan keep my card cool enough if I flash it? Now I can't decide between that and the VGA Silencer...It doesn't look too complicated to install. Opinions??
    edited December 2003
    The CAF-12 is a 120mm 65 CFM fan running at 2500 RPM producing 46 dBA that's got enough ummph to push some serious airflow across your video card.

You install the CAF-12 by using the included metal brackets that stick out on the left side of the fan. Place them over the corresponding PCI slot screws and tighten.

120 seconds to install... tops! :)

Will it cool your card? Well, it will cool it better than NO active cooling across the card and is the best substitute next to changing the heatsink/fan on your graphics card.

Just to make you aware, if you change the heatsink on your card, you void your warranty. Same with the BIOS flash. :)
  • edited December 2003
    i've open the 9800pro bios with ultraedit and try to modify frequency to obtain a 9800XT

which line change to edit myself the frequencies ?

I want to make a personal logo bios too
    is there a software for ?

thx
    edited December 2003
    vachefolle had this to say
    i've open the 9800pro bios with ultraedit and try to modify frequency to obtain a 9800XT

which line change to edit myself the frequencies ?

I want to make a personal logo bios too
    is there a software for ?

thx

You'll want RadEdit, the Radeon BIOS Editor.

However, before you flash your card with a BIOS to operate at 412/365, you'll want to benchmark your card at that level for a considerable amount of time to test for instability, graphics abnormalities and artifacting.

A simple BIOS flash will not turn a 9800 Pro into a 9800XT. The 9800XT has a different core than the 9800/9800 Pro which includes new features that cannot be added by software.

As for a personal logo BIOS, they can't be done on Radeon cards AFAIK.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited December 2003
    Nothing special. I just wanted to be the 100th post in this thread.

edit:// I successfully flashed my NP almost 2 months ago and have had no problems whatsoever. Thank you Simguy! Next time your in Ottawa, I'm buying the beer and the hookers.
  • edited December 2003
    thx sir

exactly what i'm looking for
    edited December 2003
    DogSoldier, I'll be up sometime in February 2004 for the bi-annual LPB Asylum LAN Party @ Carleton University. 100+ people in one of our giant large lecture halls playing games for cash & prizes across a 100/1000 network.

I'll see ya down in the Byward Market. :)
  • edited December 2003
    sorry if I am asking too many questions. I just want to make sure I am doing the best thing here. Ok so I am going by your recomendation simguy and getting that fan (seems rather loud though). It seems to be a good choice because every other cooler I have seen takes up a PCI slot. I think I will be ok with that and the stock 9800 cooling. The next question I have is I a regular PCI blower (Antec Cyclone cooler) that I installed before I started learning all this. What in your opinion should I do with it? My intent was to use it to vent the hot air from the 9800 and blow it outside the case. The air coming out of it never seems very warm though, so I really don't know it its doing anything. Should I keep it in there? Or return it since I am getting the Global Win Fan? I am also going to be getting a regular case fan to pull out the hot air from the CPU...I don't want to get carried away, If you don't think I will get any benifit from having the blower I will return it while I still can. Thanks again!
    edited December 2003
    Disaster1 had this to say
    sorry if I am asking too many questions. I just want to make sure I am doing the best thing here. Ok so I am going by your recomendation simguy and getting that fan (seems rather loud though). It seems to be a good choice because every other cooler I have seen takes up a PCI slot. I think I will be ok with that and the stock 9800 cooling. The next question I have is I a regular PCI blower (Antec Cyclone cooler) that I installed before I started learning all this. What in your opinion should I do with it? My intent was to use it to vent the hot air from the 9800 and blow it outside the case. The air coming out of it never seems very warm though, so I really don't know it its doing anything. Should I keep it in there? Or return it since I am getting the Global Win Fan? I am also going to be getting a regular case fan to pull out the hot air from the CPU...I don't want to get carried away, If you don't think I will get any benifit from having the blower I will return it while I still can. Thanks again!

It's best to ask questions and hopefully get a helpful answer :)

The picture below shows what I have installed in one of my older Pentium 3 systems here at home (cheap-assed StarTech Card Cooler). Quite honestly, all this thing does is get clogged up with dust and can't blow any air. Even once I clean it, it really does nothing for the system (I find anyways).

Before you isntall that CAF-12, make sure there is ample clearence between your sidepanel and the PCI slot screws to hold the fan. I'm not sure how large a space you need, but you can try the Global Win website.

If you can fit the CAF-12, ditch that slot cooler and just run the CAF-12 with the 9800 stock cooling. It should be enough to keep that sucker cool.

As for your regular fan, if you are installing it in the rear of the case (underneath the power supply), that's the best way to exhaust the hot air out of your computer. :)

Best of luck!
    edited December 2003
    Oops.. here's the picture :D
    edited December 2003
    Hey Simguy, I read about that LAN in Computer Monitor. I was thinking of checking it out but then my short term memory kicked in. I found the URL - http://www.lpbasylum.com/index.php - and signed up. (There's no rules against 36 year old nerds..) I think CoD will be the main event.
  • edited December 2003
    Just signed up,and wanted to say thanks for all the info. Without it i would be lost... :) So thanks
  • edited December 2003
    Just wondering, if I flashed 9800 SE, I wouldn't get it to be the same as a 9800 Pro, but it would still help in performance... right?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Ajarn had this to say
    Just wondering, if I flashed 9800 SE, I wouldn't get it to be the same as a 9800 Pro, but it would still help in performance... right?

The only thing Flashing the BIOS does is cause the RAM and Core to run at the speed of the card you have flashed it too, all the time.
  • edited December 2003
    Ohh, cool. Thanks.
  • DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
    edited December 2003
    Were can I get one of these babies for around $200?
  • edited January 2004
    Umm i just got of these cars i was wondering i have inferion Ram on it and it is 3.0ns ram so will it work??
  • edited January 2004
    What if u have inferion Ram??
    edited January 2004
    Are you sure it doesn't say "Infineon"?
    In which case, it is the worst RAM that you can actually get, and barely runs at it's rated speed, so flashing the BIOS is NOT a good idea as it won't be able to deal with the higher memory clock speeds.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited January 2004
    I'm trying to flash the bios on Hercules 9800se AIW with the ATI 9800pro AIW bios but every time I try and do it using the force flash command I get this:

Serial Rom
    BIOS DeviceID = 0x4E48
    ASIC DeviceID = 0x4148
    Flash type = STM25P10K
    65536 of 65536 bytes verified

Anybody know whats up?

Cheers

Jim
    edited January 2004
    Hi Jim. I don't think it's possible to flash a 9800se with a 9800pro bios.

I found this:

don't think the 9800SE can be modded to Pro level, correct me if I am wrong, its pipelines have been halved from the 9800pro, so it can't be modded and performance is thus very similar to the 9600pro.

you're correct in that its pipelines are 4 instead of 8, but however, i read across the net that some pple have managed to enable the additional 4 pipelines with powercolour 9800SE.

in some cases, it seems that the 9800se is just a crippled version of 9800pro. which means that the 8 pipelines are there but its being disabled. thus by using the modded drivers, some lucky pple have managed to get the additional 4 pipelines working with 256-bit memory and without artifacts at all under 3dmark or aquamark.

it seems however that not many have succesfully soft-modded their cards without artifacts. it seemed to be a touch and go situation.

i guess its down to luck, if u get a batch where the pipelines are just being crippled, then u got a chance of modding it to a 9800pro but if the batch u bought came only with 4 pipelines then no chance at all for the softmod to work.

Here: http://www.myhardware.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-9648
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited January 2004
    Hi DogSoldier,

Yeah this is what I'm try to do is enable the other 4 pipelines. Softmodding the card doesn't work as it causes massive corruption & hardlocks therefore I thought I'd try and see if flashing the bios produced any different results due to higher default voltages etc. I'm pretty sure the bios can be flashed under normal circumstances but I think there maybe some sort of bios flash lock or something on it. ocfaq.com have pretty good threads on the card but nobody there is able to answer my query.

Thanx for the reply

Jim
  • edited January 2004
    I have one:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 AIW
    exactly he is http://www.radeon-shop.de/shop/view_artikel.php?id=147
    My question is:
    if pipelines in perfect state has the eight it I can overclok to 9800 Pro AIW?
    excuse by my badly inglish :crazy:
    Tarochi :hiding:
    edited January 2004
    Yes. But you can't really tell the pipelines are working before hand. The core and RAM also need to be up to running at the higher speed.
  • edited January 2004
    ATI RADEON 9800SE - diagram chip set of TV tV-Tuner on the map AGP 8x 128 MT GDR memory, 256-Bit memory interface of memory modules with 2.8ns von Samsung, clocking diagram chip 378 MHz, clocking memory 337.5 MHz dissolution max. 2048 x 1536 representable colors 16,7 million pixel clock (RAMDAC) 400 MHz support DirectX 9,0 VGA connection over DVI adapter video Out video in DVI connection antenna connection

The components are exactly equal to one 9800Pro
    Garanty of 8 pipelines works :vimp:

Tarochi