ATI: Flashing The Radeon 9800 Non-Pro To A 9800 Pro

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Erm, no it isn't. Just because everything else is the same, it doesn't mean that the pipelines will work. The pipelines are nothing to do with what you quoted. Non-pros are normally Pros with damaged pipelines, which is why they aren't sold as pros in the first place. The Pipelines will either work or they wont. Unless someone has pre-tested it, there is no way of knowing.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I agree with Enverex here as i have first hand experience with a 9800SE 256bit card. It works without artifacts, but only if AA is enabled. I THINK though, that the NP and especially the SE uses a lot less voltage on both core and memory, so a voltmod might fix those "problems". Macci has scored the fastest 3dmark 2003 score with a 9800SE, so yes, it MIGHT work. 256bit memory is a must though.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited January 2004
    Enverex is right, and it would seem that most 9800se AIW these days wont softmod successfully. Head over to ocfaq.com and go to their forums if you want to read alot more about it. Personally I wish I hadn't taken the gamble but i needed a vid card while mine was being rma'd and this seemed like a good idea at the time.

Mack is there a volt out there that doesnt involve soldering cos my pos 9800se AIW just crashes out as soon as it tries to load the modded driver files. It doesn't even get as far creating artifacts or checker boarding.

Jim
    edited January 2004
    Jim,

Try to use the Omegabased 3.6. They worked great for me. Those drivers from that site you mentioned gave me hell.
    I´ll hunt down a few pictures but here is the VDDR mod. Just use a wire from a ide cable to each pin and twin it around the leg of the IC. No soldering required. Use a 10K VR. Picture courtesy of lsevald.
    edited January 2004
    Sorry to hear about the drivers Mack, I didn't use them either, just Omega 3.10 & 3.9. I'll try 3.6 and see what happen but I dont hold out much luck.

As for the volt mod (bear with me I'm a complete noob to this) is this for increasing the volts to the ram or the core. If its for the ram I doubt this will help me as I'm sure I need to up the up the volts to the core to overcome my my probs (if indeed they can be overcome which I doubt).

Regards

Jim
    edited January 2004
    That picture is for the ram (VDDR), just give me a day and i'll post a VGPU mod.

The mod for the ram will help a lot as well since you have Samsung ram on that card. Expect 400 mhz out of the ram after the mod. Default is like 270 i think.
    edited January 2004
    Mackanz wrote:
    That picture is for the ram (VDDR), just give me a day and i'll post a VGPU mod.

The mod for the ram will help a lot as well since you have Samsung ram on that card. Expect 400 mhz out of the ram after the mod. Default is like 270 i think.

Ok, cheers Mack.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I'm running the standard ATI 3.1s without problems. My games run fine, and my 3DMark scores are good for my setup, but would you all recommend the Omegas?
    edited January 2004
    Omega drivers are good for me, mainly because they make soft modding so easy, however they have the added benefit of imaga quality tweaks and some people say that they're faster than standard for bench marking
    edited January 2004
    Sites have done comparisons of all the different drive types, and there is about 2fps difference maximum between them all. I also didn't ever notice any increased image quality with the Omega drivers.
    edited January 2004
    Thrax was saying similar things in other threads. Minor image and performance differences. Doesn't sound like enough to justify the pain and risk of another ATI upgrade.
  • edited January 2004
    Enverex cite:

Erm, no it isn't. Just because everything else is the same, it doesn't mean that the pipelines will work. The pipelines are nothing to do with what you quoted. Non-pros are normally Pros with damaged pipelines, which is why they aren't sold as pros in the first place. The Pipelines will either work or they wont. Unless someone has pre-tested it, there is no way of knowing.

In that store which I mention in the Link, they guarantee the correct operation of the 8 pipelines, it has been proven by them before, and verified that correctly
    Translator of German-Ingles can be used
    To verify it you yourself

My friends have bought that same card in that store and have been able to sofmod with Driver Omega to 9800 Pro
    My question is:
    Flashing the bios by one of 9800 Pro AIW, I will have good results?

Tarochi Excuse me by the annoyances :banghead:
    edited January 2004
    TAROCHI wrote:
    Enverex cite:

In that store which I mention in the Link, they guarantee the correct operation of the 8 pipelines, it has been proven by them before, and verified that correctly

My friends have bought that same card in that store and have been able to sofmod with Driver Omega to 9800 Pro
    My question is:

If they guarantee that it has 8 working pipelines, then yes, you should be fine...
    edited January 2004
    Yes imo you should get good results if they are guaranteeing that all 8 pipelines work, which by the looks of things it would appear that they are. I've flashed my 9800se AIW and it runs at pro speeds no problem. Unfortunately the pipelines are fuxored :( so softmodding it doesn't work.

Looking at their prices though they seem very expensive. Over £200 for a 9800se AIW + remote + p&p. Ok, I know its guaranteed to soft mod but even so.
    edited January 2004
    TAROCHI wrote:
    Enverex cite:

My question is:

A bios flash isn't enough. You need to hard-mod the card BEFORE you flash it. The hard-mod means a little soldering between 2 points. DO NOT flash the card before you have done the mod.
  • edited January 2004
    OK Mackanz :thumbsup:
    But the V Core mod and V mem mod?
    single VCM?
    single VMM?
    or both?
    with resistance of 10K?
    Tarochi :banghead:
  • edited January 2004
    I'm selling a 9800 that is most likely a non-pro, but ATI's drivers detect it as a pro. It's new (I had it in my system for about 4 hours), OEM, and has the Samsung 3.3ns chips. I'd keep it, but I'm desperate for money.

Contact me if you are interested.

ZamPhoenix

[Advertising removed- Shorty]
    edited January 2004
    ZamPhoenix wrote:
    I don't know if linking to ebay is allowed here

No, it isn't. Especially when it is your own auction and not even in the trading section.
    edited January 2004
    Enverex wrote:
    No, it isn't. Especially when it is your own auction and not even in the trading section.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)
    edited January 2004
    Can't you tell if it's a Pro by looking on the GPU or other parts of the card?
  • edited February 2004
    how in the world do you do this flash on a windows xp pro os? i can't get to the boot menu, plus i don't even know how to make a boot disk so i could, can anyone help me?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    i can't get to the boot menu, plus i don't even know how to make a boot disk so i could, can anyone help me?
    Download, insert floppy disk and run.
  • edited February 2004
    virtues of evil:

thanks for the help, i have gotten the 9800 pro bio up and running. now, i orignally had a 9800np with samsung 2.8 memory (i think). should i be worried about how my performance is, because i would hate for the card to break. are this "artifacts" something i will be able to see automatically or are they something small and i have to search for? also, is there a program that can tell me at what temp my card is running?
  • edited March 2004
    Hi i recently bought an ATI radeon 9800 Non Pro. When i got it i installed it fine, but when i install drivers, and 3d mark and everything it says Radeon 9800 PRO for everything. I bought it brand new so i don't see how i ended up with a PRO when i bought a Non pro. When i play games and stuff it constantly conks out and stops working. Also i have INFINEON 3.0 ns which is supposedly not able to work by flashing. My clock speeds are still at a radeon 9800 non pro's speed 325/380. I am really confused and not sure what to do.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited March 2004
    Where did you buy it from?
    /me thinks it's rma time
  • edited March 2004
    I bought it from BEST BUY it was built by ATI.
  • edited March 2004
    Hi all, I've searchin' for a forum or a site like this since I bought my card.

I'm french [sorry for the mistakes], I got the card 6 months ago and it's a Hercules 9800 NP 128 w/Samsung memory.

My system >>Shuttle [don't laugh please] SN41G2 >> Athlon XP 2600+ @ 2250mhz >> 2*256 Corsair DDR400 TWINX >> WINXP SP1.

I tried the softmod [rage3D_tweak]stuff for half a week and o/c it @ 9800pro freqs.Benchmarks and benchmarks... far cry demo, UT2004 full resolution...well>> torture the card... :smokin:

It worked great > from 4400 under 3dmark2003 I pushed the card to 5570 with the overclock ! :Pwned:

So go and Flash it ! > :type: I searched for many subjects like this one and finally found a webpage with a full Ati bios collection :
    [l]http://softmod.ocfaq.com/bios.php[/l]

I took the Hercules Radeon 9800pro 128 one and did it >>>my heart was about to explode while flashing... :aol:

It ran well ;D so now the problem of temperature is bothering me...I have a "VGA cooler" I dunno if it fits the o/c or not...I have no pb with it but I dunno if it'll go this right in 6 months... :hrm:

Question : Could someone tell me if this Cooler is right for this o/c ?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    could you post a picture of or link to the cooler?
  • edited April 2004
    Sure I can :bigggrin: :
    :):) Here :)

This is the cooler I use... I'll search for some software to get te temperature, but I'm pretty sure there is no way to do check it... :scratch: perhaps I can boost the ventirad. :wtf:

See ya around...
  • edited April 2004
    I have a Hrcules 3D Prophet ATi 9800 SE All in Wonder Video card and have softmodded it to a 9800 pro with 8 piplines and 256 bit memory. It is easy to do if you use the right drivers www.omegacorner.com. My Aquamark score went from (all stock equipment and settings) 27.154FPS (Just omega 4.4 Drivers) 38.976 FPS. Check them out their the best around!

Can anybody help me, I'm looking for a micro ATX mobo that will take a P4 3.0GHz 800Fsb, upto 2Gb DDR RAM, agp 8X Slot, Firewire, SPDIF IN/OUT, And very good overclocking capabilities.

P4 2.8 GHz 533Fsb
    1Gb DDR 400 PC3200 (Nothing special just generic RAM)
    ATi 9800 SE All in Wonder
    On board sound
    Volcano 7+ Heatsink & Fan/Artic Silver

Aquamark Score Average 38.000-39.00 Highest 40.397
    In the middle of Modding!