ATI: Flashing The Radeon 9800 Non-Pro To A 9800 Pro

123457»

Comments

• edited November 2004
    http://www.ocfaq.com/article.php/overclocking/vidcard/34

hope that can help a little. Im not sure if its trying to flash your PCI card... but go to the above link and it says "Make sure you are flashing the right card by using the -i (ati) or -a (nvidia) command line option."

so I guess it would help if your PCI card wasnt an ATI. and also look into the flash utility's list of comand options. force the utility to flash the bios. -f i think.

because your card is now a 9800 PRO. when you flash it with a non pro bios a checksum error may occur and tells your device ID doesnt not match with bios file. i think you can simply ignore it.
    even if its trying to flash your PCI card... i shouldnt be able to cuz difference in voltage requirement.
  • edited November 2004
    Jokko88 wrote:
    Can anyone help me?? :bawling:
    Should I force flashing?
    I tried to use -f, but only a list of command came up.

try

atiflash -f original.bin

that should work.

btw, is your card a 128bit or 256bit?
  • edited November 2004
    FrankNB wrote:
    That sucks Jokko!!

I wonder what's the performance difference between the 128bit mem and 256bit mem?

not too significant unless you play games like DOOM3 which constantly access ram... and require large bandwidth...

but the thing is.... 9800pro bios was written for a 256bit ram band...

so if you got a 9800 np 128bit ... just oc it... dont flash...
  • edited November 2004
    My 9800 np 128bit doesn't want to seem to overclock very far for some reason.

As I mentioned above it's that Powercolor one that starts at 340/300. Using AtiTool and the find max core/max mem settings, It only seems to want to run at like 380/330 before it says it detects artifacts.

Perhaps I'm going about it wrong? The way I did it was to OC the core first to 380, then I was going to try and OC the memory to 350 with the core still at 380, but like I said, got stuck at around 330.

Should I allow the core to OC to it's max, then set it to default, then let the mem go to it's max, and set both of them to their max? That just doesn't seem right to me for some reason...

EDIT: I meant 350/300 as the stock settings, not 340/300
  • edited November 2004
    grimstar wrote:
    Alright well if you do attempt to do it, let me know. I would have to buy another a:\ drive, or use my roommates because my current one doesn't really...work? hehe

Any idea why mine would be saying 9800 Pro already?

It's obviously not a Pro, as which can be seen by my 3dmark03 score. It was something like a 4093.

its says pro allready because it is the same chip as a 9800pro.
  • edited November 2004
    if its using the same chip as a PRO then you should be able to OC it to PRO spec.

Be sure you replace the stock cooler with something more powerful. you'd be amazed how much it can help. I recommend VGA silencer because it blows air out of the case instead of circulating it over and over. :cool:

Added: OC the MEM and CORE separatly will NOT help the situation. My advice is to check exact what chip you have. if its a R350 then you are good.
    just get a VGA silencer and you should get pro spec. ;)

also since yours is 128bit, they must've put cheap ram chips. so I dont think they can get too far. find a max speed and stay with it.
    grimstar wrote:
    My 9800 np 128bit doesn't want to seem to overclock very far for some reason.

As I mentioned above it's that Powercolor one that starts at 340/300. Using AtiTool and the find max core/max mem settings, It only seems to want to run at like 380/330 before it says it detects artifacts.

Perhaps I'm going about it wrong? The way I did it was to OC the core first to 380, then I was going to try and OC the memory to 350 with the core still at 380, but like I said, got stuck at around 330.

Should I allow the core to OC to it's max, then set it to default, then let the mem go to it's max, and set both of them to their max? That just doesn't seem right to me for some reason...

EDIT: I meant 350/300 as the stock settings, not 340/300
  • edited November 2004
    webber wrote:
    if its using the same chip as a PRO then you should be able to OC it to PRO spec.

Be sure you replace the stock cooler with something more powerful. you'd be amazed how much it can help. I recommend VGA silencer because it blows air out of the case instead of circulating it over and over. :cool:

Added: OC the MEM and CORE separatly will NOT help the situation. My advice is to check exact what chip you have. if its a R350 then you are good.
    just get a VGA silencer and you should get pro spec. ;)

also since yours is 128bit, they must've put cheap ram chips. so I dont think they can get too far. find a max speed and stay with it.

Alright, what would be the simplest way to find out what chip my card is using? In my users manual it shows a little picture of the chip saying R350 for pro and non pro models...but I would like to know if that's whats actually in there or not :P. I tried looking on my card but couldn't tell where it would say (unless I was looking in the wrong place...).

Also...a vga cooler similar to something like this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-110&depa=0 ?
  • edited November 2004
    i think all 9800 are R350 cores... but to really make sure you should take the cooler off the card so you can read the prints on the GPU. it should say ATI R350... or something like that.

and that is the VGA silencer I was talking about. very good product. I used it and OCed 20HZ more out of my 9700 pro (mod from 9500np)

I am almost positive about the ram chip tho... dont try too hard on them. they simply cant hold up to high speed requirements. :rolleyes:
  • edited November 2004
    On ebay, I realized I paid more for the regular 9800 than a pro... so I got myself the Hercules pro with the memory heat sinks for less than I paid for the pro... and am gonna resell the non pro when I get it...
  • edited November 2004
    FrankNB wrote:
    On ebay, I realized I paid more for the regular 9800 than a pro... so I got myself the Hercules pro with the memory heat sinks for less than I paid for the pro... and am gonna resell the non pro when I get it...

how much would it be on ebay?

R360 core 9800 pro 256M mod to 9800 XT sounds like an interesting deal.

:D
  • edited November 2004
    Correction.. I wrote all that in reverse.. :scratch: I paid more for a non-pro 256MB than a pro with 128MB... So I'm reselling the non-pro and just keeping the pro.. make sense?
  • edited November 2004
    FrankNB wrote:
    Correction.. I wrote all that in reverse.. :scratch: I paid more for a non-pro 256MB than a pro with 128MB... So I'm reselling the non-pro and just keeping the pro.. make sense?

:thumbsup:

too bad the 256M np is only 128bit bandwidth. otherwise it would rock!

my next goal will be 256MB PRO tp XT!
  • edited November 2004
    I know, that's why I had bought the powercolor.. it's only after that I realized the booboo I had made..
  • edited November 2004
    Well I got and installed my Hercules Pro last night.. it's the card with all the copper heat sinks on the RAM chips.. I used a software, something from Russia, I forget the name as I'm a work right now.. I couldn't do it with Rage3d tweak for some reason.. the overclocking options were not available.. anyway, this one, I'll post the name when I get home, I was able to overclock up to 425MHz and almost 400MHz on the RAM without artifacts running the free 3d Mark 2005... anyway, I played Doom3 for over an hour at the same settings as an XT.. no problems.. I'll run the full tests tonight to get the different scores...

RivaTuner is the software..

P.S. I'm currently running the Hercules 3d tweaker that I got from their site.. It works pretty good. Seems there's only overclocking though. I have the Catalyst control panel for the other settings, which I didn't change..
  • edited December 2004
    hi, I have seen a sapphire ati radeon 9800 non-pro video card 128mb on this site: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=320724-OP
    the problem is, the ram is not in a "L" formation, like the instructions said it should. However, this is a sapphire ati radeon 9800 nonpro for sure. What should I do? is this the rite video card? also, when I do bios flash it, since the radeon 9800 np has a 128 bit memory, does it change to the 9800pro's 256-bit memory?
    plz help! im scarred about flashing=]=]i hope that if it doesnt work, i can change it back...=]=]
    Brian
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2004
    when I do bios flash it, since the radeon 9800 np has a 128 bit memory, does it change to the 9800pro's 256-bit memory?

Dunno about the rest of your questions but no flashing it will not turn it into 256bit. It's hardware.
  • edited December 2004
    the memory bandwidth in this case is limited by hardware. I dont think flashing the BIOS would help at all.

it will not work properly. you need a board with L shape memory.
  • edited December 2004
    but has anyone tried it with the memory that is not L-shaped? or is it guaranteed not to work? plz help, thanx! i already bought a sapphire ati radeon 9800 --if i cant get it to a better speed, i just wasted money...
  • edited December 2004
    also, does the sapphire tech ati radeon 9800 nonpro have 128-bit memory or 256-bit memory? how can i check? does it come in both amounts? ive seen both,advertised, but maybe one is lying
    plz help!
    Brian
  • edited December 2004
    there is a PRO version from saphire that has an I shaped memory.
    but it is 128 bit! so it can be hacked. because there is no hacked bios around.

and I doubt that the physical design can support 256bit.

bottom line... I shaped memory is 128 bit, L shaped is 128/256 bit.

advice, return the card. get modable non-pro or PRO to XT.
  • edited December 2004
    o well, i bought an openbox (returned, used) card from zipzoomfly, so i cant return it...if only i could get some more juice out of it...i feel like i've been ripped off a lot...o well...sigh...thanx for the help guys!
    Brian
  • edited December 2004
    well memory bandwidth does matter a lot when playing games like DOOM3 or HLF2.

u can try selling the card on ebay, and then buy a moddable card.

I highly recommend a R360 core 9800. the XT's chip.

even if you only have 128MB, as long as you got a R360 GPU and 2.2ns memory you can always enjoy XT's performance. :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2004
    hmmm...i wonder--would bios flashing it to a 9500 pro increase the speed? i heard that the radeon 9500 pro is faster than the 9800 nonpro, but of course, i could be wrong...i wonder if my 128-bit 9800 can run doom 3 and hl2 good...??? thanx for your help guys
  • edited December 2004
    i have no idea if it can be flashed that way.

but 9500pro is just a 9700pro with lower clock speed. so if it can be done, you should use 9700 pro instead.

but keep in mind that you will not have any benefits of the newer R350 core. but it is only a minor upgrade to R300 anyway.

but i doubt that the performance can really be increased with a lower model bios. :scratch:
  • edited December 2004
    9800 non pro, should have no problemo playing DOOM3 or Hl2.

:thumbsup:
  • edited December 2004
    thanks for your help very much
  • SebSeb
    edited June 2005
    9800 SE 128mb AIW Core Setting 378/338 Samsung 3.3 R350 4 pipelines.

Hi can I turn my se into a pro?
  • edited June 2005
    Seb wrote:
    9800 SE 128mb AIW Core Setting 378/338 Samsung 3.3 R350 4 pipelines.

Hi can I turn my se into a pro?

install Omega Drivers
    http://www.omegadrivers.net/

it will ask you during installation to either install the 9500-9700 pro mod. or 9800 SE to 9800 PRO mod. install the 9800 mod. reboot and see if it works.

I doubt AIW can be modded at all tho.... but doesn't hurt to try because it only a driver mod.
  • SebSeb
    edited June 2005
    Are my core settings the same as a 9800 pro?
  • edited July 2005
    Umm. I have a question.
    Somehow I got stuck with an unusual model.
    I have a Radeon 9800 vanilla
    Atlantis
    floppy power (grrrr)
    128mb ram but it's Hynix.....um yeah.....
    It looks like this one
    128mb_128bit_small.jpg
    But that is a picture of Pro that has the recommandation "Such cards are NOT recommended at all, even if you are not planning to mod!"

So can I still mod it?