Opteron 170 + Asus A8R-MVP - My first timer overclocking journal

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    you're at 1t?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    most of the problems could be considered "general instability". For example, I just rebooted it and almost immediately I got a fatal exception in explorer.exe. Dr Watson hung, but when I went into the task manager to end the drwtsn32 processes, everything seems to be fine now. Prime95 runs fine.

Earlier, it just hard froze. It's definitely not stable, despite the ability to run prime95 and 3dmark.

I'm currently at 285x9
    edited February 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Is 1.40V the highest you can see available? If so, then you may need to mod the board to get a higher vC available for your CPU.
    Yes ...I failed to mention that. There is a vdimm mod that a very few have done. I'll see if I can link to it.

edit:\ i did post at 2750 earlier but it bsod'ed as soon as I got to windows.
    edited February 2006
    See if this helps.

As you go up in htt ...when you enter XP generally and you get that instability feeling try a restart. Sometimes that helps.
  • edited February 2006
    csimon wrote:
    Yes ...I failed to mention that. There is a vdimm mod that a very few have done. I'll see if I can link to it.

You mean vcore? :)

My mobo (without mods) can only allow a vcore .05V higher than whatever the stock vcore happens to be. Is this the case with the A8R-MVP as well?

The fix for my board was simple. There's a voltage regulator chip which reads the stock vcore through a 5-bit binary code. Since there is a "break out" set of contacts on the board which are easily modifiable (ala the T-Bird/Duron unlocking days) you can unlock the maximum possible vcore with a dab of rear-window defroster repair paint.

I couldn't get my HTT as high as I did without bringing my core to as high as 1.525V (the max allowed with the mod is 1.55). I'm surprised these higher cost boards can't go any higher w/o modification.

EDIT: Here's what you guys need. Its not quite as easy but it gets the job done.
    edited February 2006
    And yeah I meant vcore mod.
    My mobo (without mods) can only allow a vcore .05V higher than whatever the stock vcore happens to be. Is this the case with the A8R-MVP as well?
    You got it man!
    I'm surprised these higher cost boards can't go any higher w/o modification.
    higher cost? LOL ...this is a $99 board.
    Apparantly all of the asustek and assrock boards are going to this for some reason. It's not making many ppl happy.

Yeah that's the link I was looking for.
    dab of rear-window defroster repair paint
    care to illistrate?:respect:
    edited February 2006
    Changes:

htt to 290

command rate to 1t

keep moving forward!
    edited February 2006
    Just for giggles, i'm going to use aquamark3 for stability testing this round.
    edited February 2006
    Changes:

htt to 290

command rate to 1t

keep moving forward!

basterd! ;D
    edited February 2006
    i'm not rubbing it in yet... AquaMark3 just crashed with an exception, although the system is still running. In fact, I'm writing this post from my system just seconds after the crash.... I'm going to try 3dmark again.
    edited February 2006
    I can't believe you're doing this at 1t ...that's crazy.

Wes even updated his review as sort of an apology saying everything he achieved after 260-265 was at 2t because of an inadvertant reset.

Which drivers do you have loaded (besides the video)? I'd like to duplicate what you have when I do my format.
  • edited February 2006
    csimon wrote:
    care to illistrate?:respect:

vcoremodguide-4.jpg

That's it. Neat huh? :P

BTW Prime, set things back to the stock HTT and see if that "general instability" goes away. I'd say you're running unstable if you're getting crashes like that, even if they're not crashing the kernel.
    edited February 2006
    LOL ..damn how did you find that? Did you use a vu meter and what did you look for?

Doesn't look much like the mvp board layout does it?
    1.jpg 156.2K
    edited February 2006
    3dmark passed again. 6453 and 6409 cpu score. Trying for 295 next....
    edited February 2006
    Changes this round - i'm going for video stability at this point:

dual slot config to single instead of auto
    rd480 ht pll control to normal

htt to 295 :eek2:

pci-e voltage to +1.30v
    PEG Link Mode to normal
    PEG Buffer Length to Longer

wish me luck
    :grr:
    edited February 2006
    hahaha that was a no go.

Windows barely booted. Then NT AUTHORITY initiated a shutdown ;D

backing down to 293 :D
    edited February 2006
    Maybe I spoke too soon. I rebooted, making no changes, and now it seems much better. I was able to open CPU-Z, take a couple screenshots, open photoshop, crop and save, open CuteFTP, upload pic, and post this at this moment at 295x9

20062002bench1.png.

About to run a graphics test...
    edited February 2006
    okay I spoke too soon that time.

i got a spontaneous bluescreen, but it indicated my wireless NIC driver (Netgear Wg311T pci). Perhaps my PCI card is limiting me (or the driver) instead of a bus/cpu problem :eek3:
    edited February 2006
    okay, disabling my NIC and, keeping current settings (295x9) trying 3dmark again.
    edited February 2006
    no go - still got a bluescreen. Backing down to 293

Any hints on the PCI Latency settings? I'm using one PCI card - my wireless NIC. It's currently set at 64. Should I change this?
    edited February 2006
    believe it or not ...I could never get my mem frequency stable beyond 237/238 until I uninstalled the soundmax drivers. Afterwards I let windows install it's own hd drivers and now I'm able to take it to 242 stable ...which is about where you'd be at 295/296 so I that is my suggestion.

idunno anything about the pci latency timing to be honest.

if that seems better but not quite stable enough you could back down some more off the peg ...maybe even disable it til you get a happy stable htt.
    edited February 2006
    okay, i uninstalled the soundmax drivers. Currently I'm at 288x9 = 2592mhz

more to follow. :D
  • edited February 2006
    You shouldn't have any reason to touch your PCI latency speed at all if you're running your PCIE/PCI bus async from your primary HTT. Your PCI speed is always 33 Mhz (and your PCIe @ 100) no matter what speed HTT is.s
    edited February 2006
    I'll follow up from work in the morning ...off to bed good luck! :thumbsup:
    edited February 2006
    So far, 12 hours of prime95 stable. I'm at work now so I'll check it again in five hours or so.
    edited February 2006
    at 288x9?

have you ever tried the stess prime sp2004 test? It makes things so much nicer and easier with the gui ...all you do is run 2 instances like you do cpu which can run off of a single installation. You check off which core you want to test and select the appropriate affinity setting. The best part is you can even test each core indepently.

"Stress Prime 2004 is a better, I hope, GUI interface to Prime95's Torture Test. Thanks go to the Prime95 people for providing the Prime95 source code (version 23.8.1)."
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    Stress Prime 2004 Prime95 with a GUI Interface

an old screenie...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=19225&stc=1&d=1140548495
    edited February 2006
    It's such a handy tool. I always let it go at least 35 mins now because I've have most failures at around 33 mins. Sometimes a restart will cure it though. The board gets hiccups sometimes.

Thanks Omega!
    edited February 2006
    Yep, I'm at 20 hours prime95 stable @ 288x9

Whee! What's next? :D
    edited February 2006
    289?
    289.JPG 21.5K