Opteron 170 + Asus A8R-MVP - My first timer overclocking journal

Comments

• AtticusAtticus Dryden, Ontario, Canada.
    edited February 2006
    I bought the same PSU for my SLI setup and its rockin'. The only thing i found is that the fan on the Zeus is loud. It was by far the loudest thing in my case, but i replaced the fan and its a good noise level, quieter than my Raptors now.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    Considering you got the X800XL for free, I think you'll be very happy with the crossfire setup- especially with a 1280x1024 monitor. If your X800XL has the PCI-E power connector on it, there is a good chance you can get the clock speed close to the X850XT default (they both are 16pipers). In any case, it'll be significantly faster than your 9800pro and the price is right :)

When it comes time to sell, that pair will pick up a pretty penny when sold as a combo.

My single X850XT still plays just about every game smoothly at 1280. I'm still looking for an excuse to upgrade :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    That's what I'm thinking: 1280x1024 being my chosen res, the dual x8xx crossfire will still kick some serious ass, despite it being "weird" :ninja:

Leo, i wanted you to look at the mounting job I did on the Big Typhoon. It seemed too easy, and you made it sound complicated, and now I want to make sure I did it right :D

Paste job:

opt170_1.jpg

Just screw that bar into the backplate, right?

opt170_2.jpg

Crossbar seems bent down pretty tight. Good?

opt170_3.jpg

Board prepped and waiting for the rest of the stuff:

opt170_4.jpg
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Ah, beautiful, my friend! You avoided the pitfall of not putting enough torque on the crossbar nuts. What was a little complicated with setup was that Socket 775 uses a four post setup for the crossbar. It's very easy to tighten it down, only to observe the heatsink base is canted, with one side of the heatspreader unprotected. The other "complication", rather item of attention to detail - that you got right, is to ensure that crossbar is actually bent down a little on each upright post. That ensures that the bar is springloaded.

Thanks for the pics. I get all misty eyed. Have you tested it yet to see how quiet it is? It's really an impressive beast and even works better than it looks. I can't remember any piece of computer hardware over which I've been this enthusiastic.
    edited February 2006
    Whee! Yeah, I fired it up just from a PSU lead, and it is dead silent. The PSU was way louder :D

Thanks for checking it out! Most of the parts should be here tomorrow - enough for me to get this thing going. I can't wait!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    Wow, that sink really is friggin huge when you see it mounted! :wow2: Nice photos btw.

I hate to break it to you prime, but that's not an X800XL you've got installed there.. ;)
    edited February 2006
    Hahah it's a badass TRIDENT card :D
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    Hahah it's a badass TRIDENT card :D
    I thought those were all recalled by an act of Congress ;D

Whoa - a Trident - That goes way back!
    edited February 2006
    Well I got the rest of the parts today, excepting the second video card. I put it all together and assembled it in the case. It fits! That was one of my worries.

The PSU was difficult to squeeze in because the big typhoon doesn't leave much room for play. I thought for a moment that I would have to tear down the whole thing and put the PSU in first and then rebuild it, but I was able to jimmy it in there :D

Pics momentarily...
    edited February 2006
    I thought for a moment that I would have to tear down the whole thing and put the PSU in first

Hey, but you did install motherboard stand-offs, right? :D

(of course you did -- just kidding) ;)
    edited February 2006
    I'm posting from my new system now :D
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited February 2006
    you started overclocking yet fella?
    edited February 2006
    Not yet - just getting prepped :D
    edited February 2006
    well, mine does 2.6 with everything on stock...don't forget to knock your HTT down a notch once you get to about 2.4 :)
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited February 2006
    Question.....if you were to have a dual processor setup, and want to do the same thing prime is doing (OCing) how would you get proper cooling? Two Typhoon's wouldn't fit, would they???:scratch:

Excuse me if I’m intruding in your journal, prime.
    edited February 2006
    No worries buddha16 :D

I'm using a dual core setup, which is one physical processor die, but two processor cores.

If you must use two physical processors, I really doubt you'd be able to find a board and case that could fit two typhoons. You'd definitely need something smaller.
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited February 2006
    Is the reason that the Typhoon is good, because it's big? Like the bigger the better?
    edited February 2006
    I think it's a combination of its size (which allows more heat dissipation) and good design....after all size is nothing without technique :D
    edited February 2006
    Not yet - just getting prepped

Attachments: 1. Prime shows a little trepidation as he outfits himself for overclocking his new build. 2. Prime begins overclocking, machine...well, it overclocks. 3. Prime continues to increase voltages.
    edited February 2006
    My first issue of the day is an unknown device in my device manager.

Any clues? I installed the ULi drivers, the catalyst drivers, the sound drivers, the network drivers, etc.

Usually this means some obscure motherboard feature, but I'm stumped on this one. Any a8r-mvp owners know what it could be?
    edited February 2006
    My first guess, without knowing that motherboard would be that the unknown device is either a RAID controller chip or an less-than-major brand LAN port/chip.

Did you install everything from the installation CD? If not a retail board (no CD), did you go the support manufacturer's site and install everything for the board?

Hey Prime, even if you've done all the above, sometimes it takes three or more system restarts for Windows to 'see' all the hardware correctly.
    edited February 2006
    I got everything from Asus' website. I've rebooted at least five times since the last driver install. I'll give the CD a shot.
    edited February 2006
    found it:

ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY

Weird. :ninja:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    found it:

ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY

Weird. :ninja:
    Oh yeah that's for the Cool n'quiet driver.

Remember this ...don't forget that when you start bumping up your frequency to only do about 10mhz at a time til you hit 250. You won't get quite as far if you do 15mhz but of course you'll get to the top quicker. Once you hit 250 then switch to 1mhz if you're on the x10 multi or 5mhz when on the x9.
    Everyone gets into trouble around 260 or 270. Just be patient.
    edited February 2006
    Okay, everything stock, I ran 3dmark05 as a reference benchmark: 6131

The games shall begin the next two days. My dryer died at home, so it needs a new belt, and a friend wants to take me to his brother's new restaurant tonight, so I might not be able to screw around with the OCing tonight.... But I am really anxious to :eek3:
    edited February 2006
    I'll post this link now for future reference. Most find they need it (mtgoat included I think) and others don't. I used it and you may too.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

There is a link there to dload a hotfix which points to the A64 X2 I believe. Once you get there you can backtrack your way to the Opteron fix. They may or may not be the same idunno.
    Okay, everything stock, I ran 3dmark05 as a reference benchmark: 6131

Nice score so far Brian ...notice any difference yet over your old setup? :bigggrin:
    edited February 2006
    ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY
    Cool and Quiet. You might wish to install it so Device Manager looks normal, but i certainly wouldn't run it. In fact, you should turn off all temperature/frequency monitoring software. Such stuff is good if you don't know how to overclock or if your system has substandard cooling equipment.

EDIT: (where is my head today?) I did not mean to turn off monitoring software. I meant to turn off all the garbage that automatically controls fan speeds and CPU frequency. That stuff is huge piles of bovine waste - any motherboard brand. If you wish to control noise via software, get the freeware SpeedFan. If you want to control it via hardware, get variable speed fans with a switch or a case-mounted controller for multiple fans.
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Cool and Quiet. You might wish to install it so Device Manager looks normal, but i certainly wouldn't run it. In fact, you should turn off all temperature/frequency monitoring software. Such stuff is good if you don't know how to overclock or if your system has substandard cooling equipment.
    Exactly what I did good advice. An leave the Qfan stuff off as well.

Brian if you happen upon marvell yukon update drivers over at windows update then untick it and hide it and do not install it. You will only end up in a continuous loop situation that is a biotch to get out of.
    edited February 2006
    That's weird - I already downloaded the marvell yukon drivers from windows update and had no problems at all :confused:

And no worries - i never run the extraneous crap. :D

Yes, this system is MUCH faster than my old :ninja:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    Yes, this system is MUCH faster than my old :ninja:
    Told Ya :clap: