Opteron 170 + Asus A8R-MVP - My first timer overclocking journal

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Okay, I'm going out for an hour, so I set the memory to 1t, voltage to 1.4, peg link buffer to short, and HTT to 600mhz

I'm gonna run memtest for an hour while I'm gone. I'll report back when I'm done :)

Thanks!
    okie doke good luck!:thumbsup:

edit:\ you may also want to set your vdimm to 2.75v or 2.8v manually ...since it's rated for 2.75v according to the link you posted in the front.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    2.6 looking pretty sweet so far. Have you found your maximum CPU clock yet prime? I wouldn't settle for 2.6 quite yet :)

I'd set the 2/3 (133MHz) divider, and keep pushing onwards. Once you find a good clock (within a reasonable vcore range), then start worrying about the dram configuration.

At a 260MHz reference clock, I would not decrease your HTT below the 4x LDT multi (800MHz as per MSI). Once you get close to 280MHz or so, then drop it to 3x (600MHz as per MSI)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Okay I'm back - two full passes of memtest, no errors.

I'm gonna try 3dmark again.

Be back in a minute. :D
    edited February 2006
    Ha! Okay now I got some info:

3Dmark crashed again, but this time the VPU recover kicked in. Geez I hope I don't have a defective graphics card :-/

Could this be bus related or do you think my video card might be bad?
    edited February 2006
    OK ...here's what I found. Apparantly when I was trying to stretch 260/260my machine reconfigured the peg buffer length to [longest]. You may want to try that.

So look at these options:

peg buffer length: [longest]
    dual-slot configuration: [single video card]
    rd480 ht pll control: [fast]
    ecc enable: [disable]

if you still get the video issue set rd480 control back to default (disabled or auto).

Well there's the quirk to this board. If you read the anadtech review that wes published on the a8r32-mvp he explains that at 260 the board reset itself to 2t to make itself stable. My guess is that you just found the quirky point and from here on out you'll need 2t at anything above where you are now. The upside is that this is when the board really starts to shine. The 2t rate becomes as fast as 1t and in some instances 2t is even faster. You'll notice that especially when/if you switch to x9.
    The other quirky point is at 270 ...but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
    In all indications ...when you hit 260x10 stable you should be able to start over with the 183 limit and then maybe even the 200 limit ...in moderation of course. It doesn't make any sense but this is just what I've been experiencing with this board.
    edited February 2006
    The machine is stable right now, but the video card isn't.... That scares me :eek3:
    edited February 2006
    try peg buffer length: [longest]

did you run 3dmark 2 or 3 times back to back? Man that's a lot of heat and stress to put that thing under right out of the box!:rarr:

I didn't mention it but when I had all the sinks off I also applied AS5 to the gpu and ram.

So what are your temps looking like?
    edited February 2006
    Temps are great. The highest I've seen was 39

Yeah, technically I've run 3Dmark 4-5 times in a row - but only for a minute before the GPU crashes.

I've set the HTT down to 400mhz, and set the card control back to auto, but if I set the VDIMM to 2.8v instead of auto, the system won't post :-/
    edited February 2006
    and purely unscientific - the northbridge, southbridge, GPU, and mosfet sinks all feel cool to the touch.
    edited February 2006
    Now 3dmark won't even go past a minute or two into the first test (battle of proxycon).

Okay: as soon as it crashed, I ran it again, and it seems to be working :confused:

Now, I'm watching it and it gets to the third test.... wtf is going on?
    edited February 2006
    and purely unscientific - the northbridge, southbridge, GPU, and mosfet sinks all feel cool to the touch.

LOL ...there is hardly a thing scientific about this board ...it just rocks once you learn to get beyond the quirks.

As for the video ...it's highly likely that the board is causing the issue and not the video. It takes a lot of trial and error to get used to and so many variables can mess up the sweet spot.

As for me ...I going to lengthen the peg buffer, normal on the rd480 control, and 2t cmd rate. At 2t you'll get the same bandwidth but lose a little frequency (maybe) ...but you'll free up some headroom on the cpu (controller).

One second thought ...that makes too much sense to work!;D
    edited February 2006
    okay this time it made it all the way through 3dmark. wtf.

6222 3d marks :o

The only thing I can think of, honestly, is that when I was touching the gpu heatsink to feel it, perhaps I tightened the connection between the card and the motherboard. Perhaps the card was a bit loose :-/
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Not scientific, but as long as the heatsinks are correctly installed with good thermal interface material, cool or warm to the touch is a valid measurement.
    edited February 2006
    Well ...I made it through 3dmark06 without a freeze with the above changes to settings. Windows all around feels more stable now and zippier but the true test will come when I try to play tce:test. It's a fun game based on the quake 3 engine ...takes enemy territory to the next level in graphics for sure. Best of all it's free!
    I'll update my thread in case you need it for reference.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Nice team work!!!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Not scientific, but as long as the heatsinks are correctly installed with good thermal interface material, cool or warm to the touch is a valid measurement.
    I personally use the 3 second method. If I can keep my finger on it for 3 seconds without burning or feeling uncomfortable it is OK.
  • edited February 2006
    you could always put it back to stock settings and try 3dmark again. if it's totally stable 5 times through then you KNOW it's not the video card.
    edited February 2006
    Okay, I'm stable at 280x9.5 = 2660mhz

What should I try next? :D
    edited February 2006
    Alright, PEG link = fastest results in an inability to make it through 3dmark.

PEG Link = faster (one step down) = make it through 3dmark.

Latest bench: 6562 / 280x9.5
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    From my calculations....

Original = 6131
    Overclocked = 6562
    Performance Increase = 7.03%

Not bad....
    edited February 2006
    Alright, PEG link = fastest results in an inability to make it through 3dmark.

PEG Link = faster (one step down) = make it through 3dmark.

Latest bench: 6562 / 280x9.5

How about let's do a recap of the bios just to make sure what page we're on.
    edited February 2006
    Here's where I'm at right now:

memclock mode [limit]
    memclock value [166 mhz]
    mct timing mode [manual]
    cas latency (cl) [3.0] (auto)
    tras [8 clk] (auto)
    trp [2 clk] (auto)
    trcd [3clk] (auto)
    trrd [2 clk] (auto)
    trc [11clk] (auto)
    trfc [17clk] (auto)
    trwt [4 clk] (auto)
    user config mode [manual]
    read preamble [5.5 ns] (auto)
    async latency [7.0 ns] (auto)
    cmd-addr timing mode [1t] (auto)
    bank interleaving [auto]
    burst length [4 beats]
    hardware memory hole [disabled]

ai overclocking [manual]
    cpu frequency [280]
    pcie frequency [100]
    fid/vid change [manual]
    processor frequency multiplier [x9.5]
    processor voltage [1.400v]
    ddr voltage [2.60v] (auto)
    pci-express voltage [+1.20v]
    vcore over voltage [enable]
    southbridge over-voltage [enable]
    peg link mode [fast]
    peg buffer length [longest]

gart error reporting [disabled]
    mtrr mapping [continuous]
    cool n'quiet [disabled]
    ht link speed [400 mhz]
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    Looking good so far prime! Stay away from those half CPU multipliers though, stick with 9x, 10x etc. http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=300&p=9 ;)
    edited February 2006
    Should I try for 10x280? Or go down to 9x and try bumping the clock even more?
    edited February 2006
    go down to 9 ...see how much htt you can get.

please tell me what bios you are using so I can try and duplicate it. If you tell me 0402 I'll scream.
  • edited February 2006
    Don't forget to up the DDR voltage as well. I'll be very suprised if you can't get your HTT to at LEAST 300.
    edited February 2006
    csimon: 0402

So, is 1.4v the maximum for vcore on this board?
    edited February 2006
    Okay next round. Changes are bold.

memclock mode [limit]
    memclock value [166 mhz]
    mct timing mode [manual]
    cas latency (cl) [3.0] (auto)
    tras [8 clk] (auto)
    trp [2 clk] (auto)
    trcd [3clk] (auto)
    trrd [2 clk] (auto)
    trc [11clk] (auto)
    trfc [17clk] (auto)
    trwt [4 clk] (auto)
    user config mode [manual]
    read preamble [5.5 ns] (auto)
    async latency [7.0 ns] (auto)
    cmd-addr timing mode [1t] (auto)
    bank interleaving [auto]
    burst length [4 beats]
    hardware memory hole [disabled]

ai overclocking [manual]
    cpu frequency [285]
    pcie frequency [100]
    fid/vid change [manual]
    processor frequency multiplier [x9]
    processor voltage [1.400v]
    ddr voltage [2.80v]
    pci-express voltage [+1.20v]
    vcore over voltage [enable]
    southbridge over-voltage [enable]
    peg link mode [normal]
    peg buffer length [longest]

gart error reporting [disabled]
    mtrr mapping [continuous]
    cool n'quiet [disabled]
    ht link speed [400 mhz]
    edited February 2006
    csimon: 0402

So, is 1.4v the maximum for vcore on this board?

For that chip it is.
    Technically you get 1.5v whenever you enable overvolting.
    Everyone with this board has been anxiously awaiting some kind of magical bios that will solve this issue.
    The A8R32-MVP has +.1v and +.2v overvolting options ...that is their solution.
    According to Wes we should be able to do all we need with what we have (in so many words). Also, he claims that the a8r has reached 325 in his lab while the a8r32 has only gotten up to 322.

Dude I think I'll reformat and start over because I can't duplicate your speed anymore ...I've gotten as high as 292 (about a month or so ago) and benched it but I can't do it anymore. I'm thinking it may be a "fix" or driver or something that has me harnessed to no higher than 266.

Did you have any problems along the way?
  • edited February 2006
    Is 1.40V the highest you can see available? If so, then you may need to mod the board to get a higher vC available for your CPU.